+ Visit Dundee United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 891011 LastLast

Thread: Todays game

Definitely much better first half against a team who, bar Benji, have much better players in all positions and on bench so no complaints about the result apart from them being jammy with the deflections and Morelos’s goal. Today was a given imo and think deep down most would admit so. I liked the fact we had a go, and for a wee bit more luck could have scored a couple more.

Onwards and hopefully upwards

I'm not surprised by the result, score or performance. I thought we did okay for spells. I feel let down by the manager. We got what I expected today as soon as I saw the team sheet.

As we had the cushion of the back to back wins it allowed us to come into this game with no pressure and not desperately needing to get anything from the game.

First half-
    Started really well. pressing them well, working hard and showing good composure on the ball. We managed to progress the play well which is something we have struggled with a lot this season. We had some decent chances with the one massive chance for shankland. Defensively we looked ok aswell but then the floodgates opened. Two cruel deflections then we were always struggling to get a grip of the game again. 0-2 at half time didn't tell the true story of the half.
    2nd half-
    Sucker punched by the 3rd goal which in fairness was a very good strike (although was very easy from our point of view) That goal killed the game. We then struggled to keep the ball as rangers dominated the ball. Benji with a moment of madness made it look like a doing! and worried for the rest of the game. Rangers get their customary penalty (stonewaller tbh) benji making up for the mistake by saving a penalty (his first pen save for us?!) McNulty then took his goal well to get the goal we deserved for the overall performance.

Overall wasn't expecting much, Rangers are a very good team and for parts of the game, we matched them well and created decent chances. Their quality and the luck they've had all season was the difference. We will never be judged on games like this but felt we showed some good moments. I do think the selection was poor for this game. The setup was wrong for playing Rangers. Should have stuck with what we had been doing in previous games. 4411/4141

notes
    1. The shape we started with was all wrong in my opinion. Although we started well i don't think we were able to sustain that intensity in that shape.
    2. MM must hate sporle. Would have been interesting to see him up against Balogun.
    3. Fuchs and Harkes struggled badly i felt. Worked hard but on the ball was poor from both. (we were playing against a very good team so will cut them some slack)
    4. Appere has impressed me ever since coming back into the team. Showed some good touches and hold up play at times. He also seems to get the best out of shankland aswell.
    5. Don't know why Clark was brought back into the team. Needed legs or width Clark provides neither.

Can't complain but big game next week v killie.

Name:  alert.JPG
Views: 467
Size:  32.9 KB

CAUTION................ doesn't show ANY of our early chances.............

Im in the general consensus on here, first 30 mins or so we were excellent and should/could have been 3 nil up but Clark being shoehorned into midfield is extremely detrimental to the way we play

Not Clarks fault, i like him when played as a striker but absolutely no way should he be playing midfield, especially at the expense of Sporle, you need to ask WTF is going on there, does MM not like him or something?

MM has taken alot of praise of late so only right he should take the criticism too, if Clark starts in midfield against Killie then we're a man down straight away. Not ideal

Wasn’t disappointed with game. Didn’t expect to win. Some good attacking football in the first 25/30 mins was great to see. But the 2 goals changed our mindset and composure. Still to be one of only 2 teams to score at ibrox this season is a positive. Think Sporle shld have started. Didn’t think Fuchs was at his best yesterday but thought the same against livi. Harks not up to it at that level. Clark started off well but glaringly obvious he doesn’t suit that position. That said I Think were a lot of positives to take from yesterday and don’t think this will dent our confidence going into the killie match. Onwards and upwards 👍

Re Fuchs, am i right in saying that in his good displays in recent matches that he is the one that sits in front of the defence, and yesterday he was more of a right mid?

On the Sporle thing, im not sure i am bothered that he was left out, as long as he is back from the start next week.

Quote Originally Posted by Chick A Saw View Post
    Re Fuchs, am i right in saying that in his good displays in recent matches that he is the one that sits in front of the defence, and yesterday he was more of a right mid?

On the Sporle thing, im not sure i am bothered that he was left out, as long as he is back from the start next week.
    Fuchs was further right and Harkes was further left. The whole midfield was disjointed.

We still played very well till the deflected goals, plenty positives but agree, get back to the line up from last week vs Livi although happy with Pawlett or Harkes to play just get Sporle back in

I think there was two reasons MM adopted the diamond formation.

1. Someone on Davis who is still one of their better players so by having someone on him (Clark) it could stop him from dictating.
    2. When we went down to 10 men v livi we changed to a 432 and it worked well.

The problem with that was we were playing a much better team and giving up the most dangerous part of Rangers game (the wings) even without Tavernier they were still very dangerous on the wings. It relied too much on Harkes and Fuchs getting out to their FB's. The intensity we started with was never sustainable imo.

Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 891011 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)