+ Visit Wolverhampton Wanderers FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: The Final Sad Stage of Anorakitis

The Final Sad Stage of Anorakitis

I've always been an Anorak, avid collector of train numbers as a kid, still a railway nut and owner of and still adding to an extensive stamp collection. Now in my dotage I have decided to take the final step and build myself a model railway.

I have got the layout area ready in one end of my "office" at home [see photo], have ordered, online, some track, a loco and a couple of wagons just for starters and will see how it all develops. I chose "N" gauge because it is the smallest and I will be able to get more "stuff" into the available area. But holy crap is it expensive! I have gone with pre-owned to start with but with my birthday coming up am hoping the family will chip in with new stuff.

The setting is going to be "Black Country Industrial" from the 50-60s. I have found a great site on the net where you can download cut and fold card models of all kinds of railway and commercial, residential buildings and backgrounds and the best thing about it is it is free.

My ambition is to complete the layout before I go to the great loco shed in the sky. Fingers crossed!

Name:  IMG_0251.jpg
Views: 161
Size:  28.5 KB

Excellent stuff Woody! I hope that you will keep us updated with progress. I am absolutely fascinated with model railways and frequently visit the many sites on you tube. Hopefully yours will be on there one day. Good luck with it and, as I say, please keep us updated.

Woody, in my early secondary school years , like you I was fanatical about railways, although my interest waned a bit after the demise of steam. I now often go down to the stations at Stafford or Rugeley and watch the trains rattle through.

My mate at the time, Roger Goode had a train layout in his parents garage, we spent ages in there and made frequent trips to Bagnals model shop. I always wanted a model train set, but limited finances always prevented a purchase.

There used to be a huge layout at Alton Towers, but I don't know if it is still there. Each year the Stafford Railway Circle organise a weekend exhibition at the County Showground at Stafford. Most of the midland Model Railway Clubs support the venture with their layouts. It attracts massive crowds over the weekend. However, Covid put the dampers on it last year.

Like Wokes I will look for updates.

PS I am sure you will have seen either in real life or on film The Crinoline Curve at Stafford by the old English Electric factory. Well in the last couple of months the factory, that used to employ thousands, has been raised to the ground for residential construction.

Thanks for the interest gentlemen and will be happy to provide updates. Although I think it will be a long slog! I have seen those layouts on Youtube and they look terrifyingly good. If I can achieve something that even vaguely resembles their quality I will be happy.

Yes, I remember the Crinoline Curve very well. I used to cycle to Stafford very often as that line that ran in front of the EEC was the West Coast Mainline at the point where it veered away from the Stafford to Wolverhampton line and cut across country, hence robbing Wolverhampton spotters, like me, of a chance to see all the famous London-Glasgow expresses and their associated locomotives. Always a happy and fruitful excursion.

Well Woody, you might like to condiser bidding on the attached.....

Name:  Capture1.JPG
Views: 115
Size:  31.1 KB

Quote Originally Posted by Wolfiebill View Post
    Well Woody, you might like to condiser bidding on the attached.....

Name:  Capture1.JPG
Views: 115
Size:  31.1 KB
    Thanks WB, but not for me. Number of reasons. I am particularly interested in locos from the British Rail era or in British Rail livery, probably because that's how I remember them as a kid. Although this is a fine machine it is in it's pre-grouping LMS/Midland Railway livery which though handsome is just not what I am looking for.

Also Hornby models, sadly, are no longer known for their reliability or detail quality, plus I am using N gauge and this is an O gauge loco.

Other than that it's perfect!!

Seriously though if it was a Bachmann model done out in Black lined with Red British Rail livery it would be a fine purchase.

A bit like this one.

Name:  LMS_Fowler_2P_class.jpg
Views: 127
Size:  93.7 KB

Thanks for posting anyway mate.

No problem, Woody. I'm happy to keep you "informed", but bear in mind that my knowledge of model railway engines etc. is 2nd only to my knowledge of brain operating procedures ......

Quote Originally Posted by Wolfiebill View Post
    No problem, Woody. I'm happy to keep you "informed", but bear in mind that my knowledge of model railway engines etc. is 2nd only to my knowledge of brain operating procedures ......
    It's just good to have dialogue on the subject anyway mate.

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)