I've always been an Anorak, avid collector of train numbers as a kid, still a railway nut and owner of and still adding to an extensive stamp collection. Now in my dotage I have decided to take the final step and build myself a model railway.

I have got the layout area ready in one end of my "office" at home [see photo], have ordered, online, some track, a loco and a couple of wagons just for starters and will see how it all develops. I chose "N" gauge because it is the smallest and I will be able to get more "stuff" into the available area. But holy crap is it expensive! I have gone with pre-owned to start with but with my birthday coming up am hoping the family will chip in with new stuff.

The setting is going to be "Black Country Industrial" from the 50-60s. I have found a great site on the net where you can download cut and fold card models of all kinds of railway and commercial, residential buildings and backgrounds and the best thing about it is it is free.

My ambition is to complete the layout before I go to the great loco shed in the sky. Fingers crossed!

Name:  IMG_0251.jpg
Views: 161
Size:  28.5 KB