+ Visit Crewe Alexandra FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Accrington

Accrington

So, on to a period of difficult games. Will we lift our game against better opposition? In the past this was always the case but the team look jaded despite a two-week match break. Admittedly we should have thrashed Swindon but didn't take our, relatively easy, chances. The fear is that we won't get the opportunity against teams in the next few games. On the other hand, more confident teams may come on to us more and therefore leave us more space to play in. If that happens then the team have to up the pace to take advantage. Accrington are certainly not one of our favourite teams and so I feel another defeat is on the cards. 1-2 to Accrington. Mandron.

After our performance at Swindon have to say I am not confident. Do not know what they done in 2 weeks training but it simply did not work. Surprised at team selection and listening to KL`s pre match interview did not in any way give me confidence. Unsure what the tactics were supposed to be but I got the impression that some of our more experienced players (not in age) were not happy.

So,4-4-2 tonight! Is this the kind of change needed? Kirk still to operate on the left but no outright right winger. With both Porter and Mandron playing I hope we're not simply going to go long and straight. However, the line-up does open up the possibility of variety of attack as I suggested earlier in the thread.

If you want an accurate appraisal of the match, visit the Stanley website and listen to the interview with John Coleman - pretty accurate to my mind!

For the first 25 minutes we were poor then gradually Wintle and Murphy got a grip on the midfield and we started to play some decent football. Our back four from that point were steady and I thought Accrington were not making any headway. TBH by the end of the 1st half I was left wondering how they had managed to accrue so many points. In the 2nd half we were on top with Mandron and Porter unsettling our opponents defence. Poor mistakes by them fortunately lead to Beckles opening our goal account. Good work by Kirk resulted in Accr. reduced to 10 men. A good pass by Lowery and Porter did what he is good at, calmly stroking it home. In the end pleased to get the 3 points.

Quote Originally Posted by gazan View Post
    So,4-4-2 tonight! Is this the kind of change needed? Kirk still to operate on the left but no outright right winger. With both Porter and Mandron playing I hope we're not simply going to go long and straight. However, the line-up does open up the possibility of variety of attack as I suggested earlier in the thread.
    The change in formation certainly paid off not so sure it will work against Sunderland, but I don't think Accrington had expected us to play that way. Overall we were the better side but should have scored more goals. Porter got us the second after a touch of brilliance from Lowry and we needed that goal to calm nerves, its unfortunate that Porter was a bit wasteful with his chances and probably should have walked off with 2 goals to his name. All in all pleased with the 3 points, the play offs are not a realistic option now but we have 16 games left and a lot to play for.

Whilst it was, eventually, a decent 3 points against an ultimately disappointing Accrington, it took us a good 20 minutes to get going. Until then Daniels looked anything but a FB and we just couldn’t get hold of the ball. Gradually we took over, with Wintle and Murphy winning more tackles and Lowery and Kirk getting used to the new formation. In the end we should have had more and I was surprised that Dave didn’t bring Dale on to run at a tiring and already very slow back line. I was impressed with Wood who, whilst his distribution wasn’t perhaps the best, looked as though he loved defending. For a young man he was very strong in the one on ones and looks a decent loanee.... unfortunately for Lancashire!

Best news of the night, however, was Mandron signing an extension to his contract. I can’t see Ports being kept on so that’s one less striker that Dave has to sign.