+ Visit Leeds United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Costa and Roberts

Quote Originally Posted by Silentman View Post
    Both need to be moved on as part of the continued improvement position by position. Alioski too I fear.
    Fed up of seeing Alioski bracketed with those two wastes of space.

The guy has been played in positions he isn't familiar with, or where he has shown he can play best, but he does the best he can and puts a shift in like the best on the pitch, no matter where he gets told to play. He is as good as Dallas but gets nowhere near the same amount of praise or recognition for the effort and delivery he puts in. He was paired with Saiz and boy did that work, and since his strike partner left he has had to adapt and has done magnificently.

If the likes of Costa and Roberts provided 10% of the return on investment that they represent, we'd be top of the f00king league by now!

Quote Originally Posted by hopelesslyoptimistic View Post
    Hehe - computer says no.

Roberts is still very young, had been injured and is showing signs of getting better in the CAM role.

Costa just bemuses me as he goes from being awful some days to imo looking like he can do it at this level. Against Soton and Liverpool he played very well.

The days when the game passes him by and he doesn’t get involved defensively and either won’t take on players or gives the ball away are what he needs to obviously work on.

For the U23 even when KP and Pablo have been playing he often looks like the best player on the pitch.

Harrison seems to have lost his mojo a bit but I guess that is just the nature of team sports.
    Stop making excuses for both.

Roberts couldn't hit the side of the East stand with a shotgun if his life depended on it and tonights "performance" was more evidence (if that was ever needed). Costa was good at running about a lot, just like Sacko, with next to no end product (and refer to my comments during the Southampton game about how much I wish he had made good on some really impressive runs, but you can't hold that door open indefinitely!).

Both Costa and Roberts should go, they are a drain on club funds that can't be justified.

Why the f00k did we play either as start, and leave Harrison on the bench? "Losing mojo"????? If you were Harrison and saw either of those wastes of space given a start (after the pain he inflicted on Southampton) how would you feel?

No idea why Costa and Roberts started, surely Harrison is ahead of Costa, and most on the subs bench would be ahead of Roberts.

Quote Originally Posted by norfolk white View Post
    No idea why Costa and Roberts started, surely Harrison is ahead of Costa, and most on the subs bench would be ahead of Roberts.
    I got the impression from todays game that Roberts believes he is better than his actual performance. I was surprised it took so long for him to be subbed. I don't know what you would do with him, he is not a 10 imo and if he is a striker, should get a chance to earn experience there (somehow).

Costa I understand why he started, he did OK last match whilst Harrison looked jaded. However, whilst doing most of the basics right tonight there where times I thought he wasn't brave or aggressive enough and I think that is holding him back.

P.s. I don't blame him for the goal, he is playing right wing and was at left back for the corner, makes no sense to me.

Quote Originally Posted by LeedsFTW View Post
    I got the impression from todays game that Roberts believes he is better than his actual performance. I was surprised it took so long for him to be subbed. I don't know what you would do with him, he is not a 10 imo and if he is a striker, should get a chance to earn experience there (somehow).

Costa I understand why he started, he did OK last match whilst Harrison looked jaded. However, whilst doing most of the basics right tonight there where times I thought he wasn't brave or aggressive enough and I think that is holding him back.

P.s. I don't blame him for the goal, he is playing right wing and was at left back for the corner, makes no sense to me.
    Roberts - "I don't know what you would do with him"? Show him the f00king door no matter what!

Costa - One (reasonably) good game and then the nonsense we saw today. Waste of £15m (then again, we don't seem to learn when it comes to wasting millions), get rid for what we can get. And "can't blame him for the goal"????? What does it need for a player to understand that he has to mark another player, irrespective of the position he has been asked to play in, is it impossible to turn your head in a different direction, FFS?

Quote Originally Posted by WTF11 View Post
    Roberts - "I don't know what you would do with him"? Show him the f00king door no matter what!

Costa - One (reasonably) good game and then the nonsense we saw today. Waste of £15m (then again, we don't seem to learn when it comes to wasting millions), get rid for what we can get. And "can't blame him for the goal"????? What does it need for a player to understand that he has to mark another player, irrespective of the position he has been asked to play in, is it impossible to turn your head in a different direction, FFS?
    It not so much that, its knowing the role, the position to take, how to cut off the threat, sensing the danger and being brave, something that you learn as part of your skillet as a defender. A winger wouldnt necessarily have that mindset, plus where was the LB?

Costa should never have been playing that deep, he was obviously and unsuccessfully covering for someone that was out of position.

Roberts does have delusions of grandeur.

It not so much that, its knowing the role, the position to take, how to cut off the threat, sensing the danger and being brave, something that you learn as part of your skillet as a defender. A winger wouldnt necessarily have that mindset, plus where was the LB?

Costa should never have been playing that deep, he was obviously and unsuccessfully covering for someone that was out of position.
    More excuses. Neither is worth what we pay them (or have paid to acquire them), neither have the ability to deliver real value, neither belong in a Leeds 1st XI at ANY level and certainly not in the Premiership. Need to be gotten rid of, as they are a team selection distraction we very much can do without.

More excuses. Neither is worth what we pay them (or have paid to acquire them), neither have the ability to deliver real value, neither belong in a Leeds 1st XI at ANY level and certainly not in the Premiership. Need to be gotten rid of, as they are a team selection distraction we very much can do without.
    Not excuses, its why most top players can only play well in one or maybe two very similar roles, you have to learn/have the skillsets for the role required. If anyone could play anywhere at anytime, we would all be footballers.

To correct myself we had a RW at LB for a set piece I will watch the goal again but I am nearly sure Costa pushes up to catch them offside, but Cooper is slow to react and keep Villa onside, just.

I will agree that Costa has not yet justified his transfer fee, occasionally he threatens to come good but just as quickly becomes anonymous.

Not excuses, its why most top players can only play well in one or maybe two very similar roles, you have to learn/have the skillsets for the role required. If anyone could play anywhere at anytime, we would all be footballers.

To correct myself we had a RW at LB for a set piece I will watch the goal again but I am nearly sure Costa pushes up to catch them offside, but Cooper is slow to react and keep Villa onside, just.

I will agree that Costa has not yet justified his transfer fee, occasionally he threatens to come good but just as quickly becomes anonymous.
    Cooper was the "problem" with their goal, but I still believe it was a miss-hit shot that turned into an unexpected opportunity.

Stuff happens.

(Blames the @#$%*$# pitch)

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)