+ Visit Barnsley FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Downside To This Season

The Downside To This Season

We give it a monumental go but just fall short either in the regular season or in the play offs .

Which puts four or five of these young players plus the HC in the shop window in the summer .

The result is the worst of both worlds , we fall short and we could lose Styles , Mowatt , Brittain , Andersen and Helik plus Val .

It's maybe a good idea to enjoy the rest of this season whilst we can .

Football reality may pay us a visit in the summer months .

Football reality pays us a visit every season , that’s what happens when you’re a Barnsley fan. Have a good season and the vultures come and take our best players and Head Coach. Have a crap season and the vultures come and take our best players and Head Coach

it could work the other way, we finish high up the league and players sign new contracts, better players sign for us because of how we play more supporters return

There's no question that players will be sold this summer and I expect a fair few quid coming in. If Conway is true to his word and "every penny gets reinvested in the club" then my intrigue is to what we do with an enlarged transfer budget. Also by making a few quid through selling players this summer also gives the club scope to compete more in the wages department thadda thowt.

When Ismael inevitably leaves we will appoint another high press style head coach as Dane Murphy explained. As good a job as Ismael is doing, I won't be too disheartened when he leaves for a bigger club because it's expected when tha successful and good at thi job. If every head coach we appoint gets sought after by other clubs then it means they're doing summat reight and being successful at this club.

The consortium have appointed 3 very good head coaches since Morais was sacked which is worth bearing in mind. Who had heard of any of these coaches afooar they came here? They have all contributed to the progress the club has made since relegation in 2018.

Quote Originally Posted by animallittle3 View Post
    We give it a monumental go but just fall short either in the regular season or in the play offs .

Which puts four or five of these young players plus the HC in the shop window in the summer .

The result is the worst of both worlds , we fall short and we could lose Styles , Mowatt , Brittain , Andersen and Helik plus Val .

It's maybe a good idea to enjoy the rest of this season whilst we can .

Football reality may pay us a visit in the summer months .
    I can't see a downside animal.To be fair a top 10 finish will be looked on as a great success ,anything higher is a terrific bonus.

Quote Originally Posted by bill46 View Post
    I can't see a downside animal.
    Tha nivver can Bill

Quote Originally Posted by bill46 View Post
    I can't see a downside animal.To be fair a top 10 finish will be looked on as a great success ,anything higher is a terrific bonus.
    Bill with respect you need to pay closer attention to what I put in my posts .

There isn't a downside to finishing in a good league position per se , the downside is the consequences of that event happening , the potential consequences are where I'm at Bill .

Such as losing your two central defenders , both wing backs , your captain and HC .

The club incredibly gets promoted to the PL then that probably ends the debate but you didn't offer that up in your reply .

Quote Originally Posted by pass_and_move View Post
    There's no question that players will be sold this summer and I expect a fair few quid coming in. If Conway is true to his word and "every penny gets reinvested in the club" then my intrigue is to what we do with an enlarged transfer budget. Also by making a few quid through selling players this summer also gives the club scope to compete more in the wages department thadda thowt.

When Ismael inevitably leaves we will appoint another high press style head coach as Dane Murphy explained. As good a job as Ismael is doing, I won't be too disheartened when he leaves for a bigger club because it's expected when tha successful and good at thi job. If every head coach we appoint gets sought after by other clubs then it means they're doing summat reight and being successful at this club.

The consortium have appointed 3 very good head coaches since Morais was sacked which is worth bearing in mind. Who had heard of any of these coaches afooar they came here? They have all contributed to the progress the club has made since relegation in 2018.
    I reckon we could be looking at £20m to £25m from player sales this summer Pass ...... give or take .

That kind of money as you say transforms the clubs recruitment to another level .

Tha'd probably be looking to bring in five or six for £20m and stick three or four in to the continued financial stability of the club .

In an ideal world I wouldn't want to lose anybody but if I had to make a choice I'd accept players leaving but retain the services of Val .

With that kind of budget and Val still at the club there could be plenty to get excited about going forward .

Quote Originally Posted by pass_and_move View Post

I’m more or less on board with all of that.
    Let’s say Brittain and Styles are sold to a Premier club in the summer.
    Ok - it’s a sad day that they have left the club.
    But on the flip side it’s a fantastic day for Brittain and Styles as they reach their objective of reaching their career objective.
    PLUS - it’s a fantastic day for Barnsley Football Club as a shed load of money comes into the club.
    PLUS PLUS - it’s a fantastic day for our recruitment team as young players from other clubs line up to join Barnsley because there is evidence there that joining Barnsley can lead to the Premier.

As for the playoffs - I’d be satisfied if we finish in the position we are in now.
    We have had a fantastic season.
    And we will continue to build on this next season.

No doubt Val will be poached at some point.
    A Football club is only as good as its directors.
    And we have outstanding directors at Barnsley that will have already put together a short list of head coaches ready for when Val leaves.

Everything at Barnsley is looking positive.
    It’s looking great !!!
    Best it’s looked since the John Dennis days..

Quote Originally Posted by animallittle3 View Post
    Bill with respect you need to pay closer attention to what I put in my posts .

There isn't a downside to finishing in a good league position per se , the downside is the consequences of that event happening , the potential consequences are where I'm at Bill .

Such as losing your two central defenders , both wing backs , your captain and HC .

The club incredibly gets promoted to the PL then that probably ends the debate but you didn't offer that up in your reply .
    I don't know whats up with you.All i was doing was saying a top 10 finish is more than exceptable,whats wrong with that.You seem to look for things that aren't there.I wasn't looking at consequences just saying what I thought would be a good season.I'm not into football politics or agendas .This forum is getting harder to make reasonable comment.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast