+ Visit Barnsley FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: The Downside To This Season

Quote Originally Posted by animallittle3 View Post
    I reckon we could be looking at £20m to £25m from player sales this summer Pass ...... give or take .

That kind of money as you say transforms the clubs recruitment to another level .

Tha'd probably be looking to bring in five or six for £20m and stick three or four in to the continued financial stability of the club .

In an ideal world I wouldn't want to lose anybody but if I had to make a choice I'd accept players leaving but retain the services of Val .

With that kind of budget and Val still at the club there could be plenty to get excited about going forward .
    Of course retaining the services of Ismael would considerably boost our hopes. Unfortunately a just can't see it in all honesty pal. The blowk is working wonders and there'll be clubs with him in mind.

Hypothetically speaking, let's say Brentford fail to gain promotion this season, they sack Thomas Frank, i reckon they'd be looking at Val as his replacement. Tha could see sumdy like Watford coming in for him too, perhaps a relegated Premiership team, Crystal palace maybe if Hodgson retires. All those clubs could treble his current wages thadda thowt. Gonna be tough keeping oddonim

Quote Originally Posted by bill46 View Post
    I don't know whats up with you.All i was doing was saying a top 10 finish is more than exceptable,whats wrong with that.You seem to look for things that aren't there.I wasn't looking at consequences just saying what I thought would be a good season.I'm not into football politics or agendas .This forum is getting harder to make reasonable comment.
    Bill

You've kind of half answered your own question , there's absolutely nothing wrong with a good league finish , I agree with you .

However since 2017 what's historically happened at the club following a good season ?

What were the consequences for the team and HC the following season ?

Its happened twice Bill .

This has nothing to do with politics or agendas but simply a look back in time and a debate about how we can hopefully keep kicking on at this level .

I take is as read you want to see the club continue to be succesful and build towards something and not take two steps back as we've seen when a good number of our top players leave the club .

Bill

You've kind of half answered your own question , there's absolutely nothing wrong with a good league finish , I agree with you .

However since 2017 what's historically happened at the club following a good season ?

What were the consequences for the team and HC the following season ?

Its happened twice Bill .

This has nothing to do with politics or agendas but simply a look back in time and a debate about how we can hopefully keep kicking on at this level .

I take is as read you want to see the club continue to be succesful and build towards something and not take two steps back as we've seen when a good number of our top players leave the club .

I don't blame the club for summer 17 or summer 19 Animal. I think our recruitment was too wishy washy and was based on quantity rather than quality and players that would develop over time. Hence our relegation in 18 and near relegation in 20. I don't think there is much between the two teams as Brad Potts, Pinnock, Davies, Bradshaw, Mcgeehan, Yiadom and Moore are all playing to a reasonable level.

If we lose players so be it but I can see a progression. These players will be sold for more and that builds the profile of the players coming in. The only thing that's held us back is relegation in 2018 as those players all kicked on afterwards.

Maybe what is happening now would have sooner but for Heckingbottom and Morais which both equally contributed to our relegation.

Quote Originally Posted by Ponte_Steve24 View Post
    I don't blame the club for summer 17 or summer 19 Animal. I think our recruitment was too wishy washy and was based on quantity rather than quality and players that would develop over time. Hence our relegation in 18 and near relegation in 20. I don't think there is much between the two teams as Brad Potts, Pinnock, Davies, Bradshaw, Mcgeehan, Yiadom and Moore are all playing to a reasonable level.

If we lose players so be it but I can see a progression. These players will be sold for more and that builds the profile of the players coming in. The only thing that's held us back is relegation in 2018 as those players all kicked on afterwards.

Maybe what is happening now would have sooner but for Heckingbottom and Morais which both equally contributed to our relegation.
    Agree wi that Steve bar the last paragraph. The thing is, if tha sells 4 or 5 of our top players at once it's an absolute killer, even if our profile has risen. If tha sells 2 or 3 it softens the blow and we have a chance of keeping some momentum.

Tha looks at Brentford who sold Watkins and Berahino last summer. They have brought in lesser replacements for decent money but the team hasn't become too damaged by it. If we were to sell Styles, Brittain, Anderson, Woodrow and Mowatt leaves on a free then we're really on the back foot. Absolutely fecked if truth be told.

Quote Originally Posted by pass_and_move View Post
    Agree wi that Steve bar the last paragraph. The thing is, if tha sells 4 or 5 of our top players at once it's an absolute killer, even if our profile has risen. If tha sells 2 or 3 it softens the blow and we have a chance of keeping some momentum.

Tha looks at Brentford who sold Watkins and Berahino last summer. They have brought in lesser replacements for decent money but the team hasn't become too damaged by it. If we were to sell Styles, Brittain, Anderson, Woodrow and Mowatt leaves on a free then we're really on the back foot. Absolutely fecked if truth be told.
    That's my worry too Pass , I didn't really expect the way the season is turning , the same as everyone else really .

It may not amount to anything at all and we could fall away and finish mid table .

Even so four or five of these young players are still going to catch the eye of bigger clubs , the lower end of the PL or the three teams coming down or maybe a couple in the championship still receiving parachute payments .

Could be a very interesting summer and one that could expose the ownership's ambitions for the club .

That's my worry too Pass , I didn't really expect the way the season is turning , the same as everyone else really .

It may not amount to anything at all and we could fall away and finish mid table .

Even so four or five of these young players are still going to catch the eye of bigger clubs , the lower end of the PL or the three teams coming down or maybe a couple in the championship still receiving parachute payments .

Could be a very interesting summer and one that could expose the ownership's ambitions for the club .
    Indeed. Let's see......

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12