+ Visit Crewe Alexandra FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Sunderland H

Sunderland H

Well, what side will DA put out for this game,? What formation will he use. I expected Porter to play against Accies but I was surprised at going with Mandron as well. It worked. 😁
    Sunderland will be tougher opposition and are on a good run. Not optimistic about this one, but heart over head I will go with 2-1 win.

Once we would be in awe of Sunderland as they are a big club, now we should show them respect but not fear. Lets go out and play the football we are known for and bring home the points. 2-1 victory for me.

There’s the sort of trepidation amongst fans before we play a team on a good run. So we’re Peterborough when they came to Gresty Road as league leaders and we gave them a football lesson. We need to keep McGeady quiet as he seems to pull the strings for them, but we haven’t got the sort of man marker who could do that. So, do we worry about their strengths or play our own game regardless? As we are in a very safe position I say go for it and if we lose by 2 or 3 so be it - we are more likely to win this way as well.

OK they’ve won their last 3 (2 of which were against Fleetwood and Burton) but prior to that they lost at Shrewsbury. Let’s be optimistic and agree with a 2-1 win.... but I will be happy with a point!

Quote Originally Posted by AstonAlex View Post
    There’s the sort of trepidation amongst fans before we play a team on a good run. So we’re Peterborough when they came to Gresty Road as league leaders and we gave them a football lesson. We need to keep McGeady quiet as he seems to pull the strings for them, but we haven’t got the sort of man marker who could do that. So, do we worry about their strengths or play our own game regardless? As we are in a very safe position I say go for it and if we lose by 2 or 3 so be it - we are more likely to win this way as well.

OK they’ve won their last 3 (2 of which were against Fleetwood and Burton) but prior to that they lost at Shrewsbury. Let’s be optimistic and agree with a 2-1 win.... but I will be happy with a point!
    Well that is all we are going to get having conceded yet again in added time and in the seventh minute of it. What on earth is the matter with these players quite regularly doing it!

Sunderland at home

Quote Originally Posted by Fidler View Post
    Well that is all we are going to get having conceded yet again in added time and in the seventh minute of it. What on earth is the matter with these players quite regularly doing it!

I am a little surprised that Artell didn’t use his subs more we were clearly flagging and just bringing on Dale was not enough does he not trust some of the subs Walker, Evans etc it is a squad game and he needs to start and use them !!!!

So despite all our fears we got the point. However, although I might have been content with a point before the game, I feel aggrieved now. Two sitters missed again. Charlie was the weak link in the team. Missing his sitter by being 'clever' instead of just stroking the ball home and in the rest of the game he kept giving the ball away in key places, one of which led to the first goal. Much as I like Lowery, he didn't do his job when coming across to cover Jones. He should have 'showed' him down the line where Daniels was waiting. As it was, he was shown into the middle where he saw himself in acres of space. I'm not sure who was 'missing' for the second but Sunderland had TWO players over, both with time and space. The two goals were not that outstanding, they were just free hits. I'm afraid Murphy* had a hand in their second as well. Despite a great game from him, that was another floaty free-kick that went straight out and allowed them to launch the ball up to our end from which they scored. Naive. Thought Daniels will do us a great service at RB and Wood is also a prospect. Mandron had a really good game and I think he benefits from that formation.
    Ah well! Blackpool next.

*(I've now got a feeling that it might have been Wintle )

Whoever it was, gazan, it was an elementary mistake from an experienced player. At that point we should have done what some have said we start doing at half time, ie play keep ball and, yes, in our half if necessary; it was naive in the extreme.

Having got that out of my system, it’s worth also saying that, once again against one of the ‘top clubs’we were the better side. Their goals were as a result of tired and/or ineffective midfield cover. I thought the back 4 were outstanding and I take back what I said about Wood being weak with the ball at his feet - outstanding long passing several times today and he kept the division’s leading scorer very quiet - looks a prospect. DNiels got very tired and I was bit surprised not to see TJ come on and, as has been mentioned above, either of Murphy or the frustrating Kirk given a rest and Evans, Walker or even Powell given 10 minutes. However, we should have wrapped the match up after they made their mass substitutions; as Pete Morse said on commentary, they were very vulnerable for 10 to 15 minutes and we had our chances.

Mandron was top drawer and celebrated his contract extension with 2 assists. He has struggled to score since Christmas but he showed his other qualities today.

Quote Originally Posted by gazan View Post
    So despite all our fears we got the point. However, although I might have been content with a point before the game, I feel aggrieved now. Two sitters missed again. Charlie was the weak link in the team. Missing his sitter by being 'clever' instead of just stroking the ball home and in the rest of the game he kept giving the ball away in key places, one of which led to the first goal. Much as I like Lowery, he didn't do his job when coming across to cover Jones. He should have 'showed' him down the line where Daniels was waiting. As it was, he was shown into the middle where he saw himself in acres of space. I'm not sure who was 'missing' for the second but Sunderland had TWO players over, both with time and space. The two goals were not that outstanding, they were just free hits. I'm afraid Murphy* had a hand in their second as well. Despite a great game from him, that was another floaty free-kick that went straight out and allowed them to launch the ball up to our end from which they scored. Naive. Thought Daniels will do us a great service at RB and Wood is also a prospect. Mandron had a really good game and I think he benefits from that formation.
    Ah well! Blackpool next.

It was Wintle

Quote Originally Posted by gazan View Post
    Ah well! Blackpool next.

Yes it was Wintle not sure what he was thinking, it was a pivotal moment and led to there equalizer why that free kick did not lead to a Crewe player heading for the corner flag with the ball is beyond me, but he chose to kick it out for a goal kick instead. There tired they gave it there all and sometimes that effects the decision making process. To put it into perspective though we played well and very few would have given us much of a chance against Sunderland but we were the better side and unfortunate, we need to take the chances when they come and that 3rd goal would have given us the 3 points. If we can take that perfomance forward and score a few more goals we have good opportunity to be up there, back to the yellow tops on Tuesday, never a good thing we play better in red.