+ Visit West Bromwich Albion FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Looking Back At My Past On Video👀

Looking Back At My Past On Video👀

I had dad’s old recordings put into digital format and returned to me today.

To see my late dad back as far as 1987 when he was 52 and a good 7 years younger than I am now was so lovely.

I watched much of it on my own because I was convinced I’d be a sobbing mess but I wasn’t......it was like a comfort blanket, like he’d never been away.

Same with both of my beloved nan’s as well, I was glad my memories of all of them were as crystal as the videos.

Seeing my kids again from baby stages through to mid ****s was so heartwarming, all a r s I n g around and well before they reached the point of not speaking to each other.......a time before life got in the way!

I was completely surprised at the way I was so “hands on” with the three of them as well, family legend has always been ( even in my own head ) that mum brought them up because I was always so busy with work.

Certainly when they were past the baby stage all the action features me and the wife is sat on her a r s e or laid down so this has brought me much pleasure and ammunition 🤣

One thing did bring tears to my eyes though, me and my wife on our wedding day doing the first dance to Jennifer Rush and “The Power Of Love” ( DJ choice not ours😩 )

My wife is still a very attractive woman for her age but I’d forgotten just how jaw droppingly beautiful she was in March 1988, skin like porcelain and eyes you could swim in.

If you’re reading this on Friday she’ll be in hospital with a camera down her throat following a few weeks of worrying symptoms.

To think I’ve been lucky enough to have her for 35 years as of next month and to know that at best we don’t have anything like that amount of time left together is a really crushing thought.

I’ve taken her far too much for granted, most of us in our family are guilty of having done this so I now treat every day with her as something special and I try to be a kinder person and less of a jerk.

If any of you do have family VCR’s stored away gathering dust please do get them digitalised before it’s too late, one of our tapes was mouldy and couldn’t be saved.

I’ve touched base today with so many people who I’ve lost, including people who are actually still with us but estranged like my brother, I think there’s value in evaluating your life sometimes and remembering better and simpler times.

I also found video of me in action on the football pitch.

A beach match down in Cornwall in 1990 when I was 28, my lack of awareness and tendency to arrive three seconds too late for everything ( like Rondon ) was a sobering watch.

Later footage of me at 40+ playing as right back was much more comforting though as I surprised myself how patient I was in possession allied to the wand of a right foot😏😎

Sobering to see one of the “babies” of the side who was about 18-19 at the time though, Ben “The Gunner” Morse was our right winger and a fantastic kid but was murdered in Halesowen 3 or 4 years ago, it was very emotional seeing this kid flying around the pitch and knowing he was already over half way through his life😢

I’m glad I found this though as I’m going to send the match to his family as I know they’ll absolutely love it.

My daughter made me laugh when she said she hadn’t realised how good looking I was at that time 20-34 years ago!

Emotional stuff but I’m so glad I stumbled across this stuff and so grateful my dad put the time into filming it all.

Good on ya dad 😎😇

Thanks for sharing that Mick

Thanks for posting that. An interesting read.

Good luck to Mrs Mick for today.

Quote Originally Posted by Baggie Sharon View Post
    Thanks for posting that. An interesting read.

Good luck to Mrs Mick for today.
    Very kind of you Sharon, thank you.

I enjoyed reading that, and it made me think about a few things too.

Lovely how you describe your wife and your children in their younger days. Life certainly does get in the way and the important things are so easily forgotten. It was a well timed and needed reminder for me.

I do hope today goes well and you have many more happy years ahead.

Quote Originally Posted by Baggienat77 View Post
    I enjoyed reading that, and it made me think about a few things too.

Lovely how you describe your wife and your children in their younger days. Life certainly does get in the way and the important things are so easily forgotten. It was a well timed and needed reminder for me.

I do hope today goes well and you have many more happy years ahead.
    Thanks Nat, she’s got through the procedure and I’m just waiting to collect her🙏

Nice human post Mick, I think we do take our nearest and dearest for granted, things get left when we are busy and life gets in the way of talking to and really listening, it’s easier to say to ourselves we will call next week rather than picking up the phone.
    Good luck to Mrs D, I am sure the docs are just being cautious.

Very best wishes to your wife Mick.

My wife Carolyn bravely had the camera procedure today, down the throat.......the same fate awaits me shortly!

I’m so relieved that she’s not got done horror lurking inside her and she’s suffering from an inflamed stomach lining which is called Gastritis.

Very often caused by stress ( our son&#128553 but can be a bacterial infection or even an autoimmune condition so it’s now just a matter of finding the right remedy.

She’s such an important person within our family, the person that holds everything together and who so many other people rely on so I’m just mightily relieved.

Thanks for the best wishes.

Good news Mick, I am glad nothing is serious with your wife.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)