+ Visit Rotherham United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: O/T A different type of Whisky

The Kirkland blended whisky at Costco is quite good for the money ($20 for a handle). It's probably Grouse anyway. All their spirits come from major suppliers.The Kirkland branded vodka is definitely Grey Goose at a fraction of the cost.

Talking of whisky from unusual places, Sainsburys are selling a single malt from the Cotswolds.

https://www.sainsburys.co.uk/gol-ui/...lt-whisky-70cl
    Last edited by great_fire; 28-02-2021 at 09:33 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by great_fire View Post
    Talking of whisky from unusual places, Sainsburys are selling a single malt from the Cotswolds.

https://www.sainsburys.co.uk/gol-ui/...lt-whisky-70cl
    Thanks for the heads up. I’ve just ordered a bottle.

Love this OT thread.
    For the whisky afficionados, supermarkets mostly offer slim pickings, at the higher prices you can get the aged single malts far cheaper on line e.g Ardbeg. For value, I recommend The Ardmore which you'll find at around £20-25, if you like a slightly smokey whisky.
    If you have a Cost Co card then you should buy the Laphroaig Quarter Cask at around £30 and Lagavulin 16 at around £40. These are excellent whiskies and in the case of the Laga, one of the best regarded ever. You would pay upwards of £50-60 in the supermarkets.
    For budget blends, by far and away the best for value and quality is Black Bottle, at around £15-20. It's as good as many single malts. In England though, you'll have to go online , Amazon or master of malt / the whisky exchange is the place to go.

For some reason, supermarkets are much better for those who like their whiskeys (With an E). For value and taste, I much prefer Paddy's - around £16-20 in Tesco's than Jameson. Tesco's also sell Powers at around £25-30 which is the best selling whiskey in Ireland.
    For bourbons, we are spoiled for choice, if you haven't tasted them yet, make a list and choose any from Makers Mark, Wild Turkey 101 and my favourite, Woodford Reserve, all usually on sale throughout the year between £20-30. These are far better than the standard Jack D or Jim B.
    Happy dramming!!

Oh and finally!, in reference to the Cotswolds whisky, we have our own distillery in Yorkshire , at Filey, under the Filey Bay banner. Once lockdown is lifted, I thoroughly recommend going to the distillery and booking the tour round the place, only a Tenner and in my opinion, one of the best tours I've been on, and I've been on a few in Scotland. They also give you loads of free samples! The food there is great too.
    Their whiskys are available online at MoM / whisky exchange, quite pricey though as they have only been distilling for 3/4 years, around £60.

Quote Originally Posted by GoBuccs View Post
    For some reason, supermarkets are much better for those who like their whiskeys (With an E). For value and taste, I much prefer Paddy's - around £16-20 in Tesco's than Jameson. Tesco's also sell Powers at around £25-30 which is the best selling whiskey in Ireland.
    For bourbons, we are spoiled for choice, if you haven't tasted them yet, make a list and choose any from Makers Mark, Wild Turkey 101 and my favourite, Woodford Reserve, all usually on sale throughout the year between £20-30. These are far better than the standard Jack D or Jim B.
    Happy dramming!!
    Some great advice thank you. As I mentioned before I do like mine to have the E. despite being Clyde born.
    Woodford reserve is a staple in my cabinet. I usually use it for an old fashioned or a horse feathers.

Quote Originally Posted by GoBuccs View Post
    Oh and finally!, in reference to the Cotswolds whisky, we have our own distillery in Yorkshire , at Filey, under the Filey Bay banner. Once lockdown is lifted, I thoroughly recommend going to the distillery and booking the tour round the place, only a Tenner and in my opinion, one of the best tours I've been on, and I've been on a few in Scotland. They also give you loads of free samples! The food there is great too.
    Their whiskys are available online at MoM / whisky exchange, quite pricey though as they have only been distilling for 3/4 years, around £60.
    Thanks for all the valuable information and you certainly sound like your up on your whiskeys.

Brin and Scum, you are more than welcome!
    You start off at the supermarkets and then before you know it, you're visiting distilleries and purchasing bottles from all over the world, it becomes a great hobby, limited only by shelf space and a nagging wife when you spend too much!!
    If you fancy a venture locally to Rotherham, then I recommend the Wee Dram whisky shop at Bakewell, and Mitchell's Wines on Meadowhead Road, Sheffield, in Norton, just off the big roundabout as you take the A61 Dronfield bypass, or opposite what used to be the big tree Norton pub. I only realised this place existed last year, it's got a huge selection of craft beers, more wine than I've seen in my life, and a pretty large whisky section with whiskies from all over the world, well worth checking out. They have a website too , Mitchellswine.co.uk

I'm not a big drinker nor an expert but if you ever visit me (or the Pacific NW) you could try this. I've done the tour as it's where I live

https://www.woodinvillewhiskeyco.com/

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast