+ Visit Leeds United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Think tonight, decisions made

Quote Originally Posted by asturianblanco View Post
    agree Joel, how can Roberts and Costa get anywhere near the pitch when Pablo cant get a game? he will be a better player than Roberts when hes 70.
    Just watching Chelsea playing Manure. Decided to pay a little attention to the Chelsea defensive players: Arsepiliculeata, Christensen, Rudiger and Chillwell dropping back. I am afraid, they were a class over what we have at the back. Chilwell who cost £50m, therefore cost more than Rodrigo, Raphinha, Meslier and Gelhardt combined. My point is, I feel unless we are willing to pay silly money i think its going to be incremental change. So Costa and Roberts are here next season.

Quote Originally Posted by cherrypie7 View Post
    Just watching Chelsea playing Manure. Decided to pay a little attention to the Chelsea defensive players: Arsepiliculeata, Christensen, Rudiger and Chillwell dropping back. I am afraid, they were a class over what we have at the back. Chilwell who cost £50m, therefore cost more than Rodrigo, Raphinha, Meslier and Gelhardt combined. My point is, I feel unless we are willing to pay silly money i think its going to be incremental change. So Costa and Roberts are here next season.
    All class and still not good enough for the title what chance low clubs like us have apart we play a beautiful brand.
    I still wait on the day when someone will say enough is enough and build their own team just from British players and win everything.
    This league will go the way of other leagues eg Germany Bayern Scotland Celtic or Rangers Spain Real or Barca Eng will be most likely which Manchester takes it this year.

[QUOTE=ozleeds;39717482]All class and still not good enough for the title what chance low clubs like us have apart we play a beautiful brand.
    I still wait on the day when someone will say enough is enough and build their own team just from British players and win everything.
    This league will go the way of other leagues eg Germany Bayern Scotland Celtic or Rangers Spain Real or Barca Eng will be most likely which Manchester takes it this year.[/QUOTE

one thing I like about American sport is the draft system but sadly not sure that would translate to football

Draft and salary cap systems are here in Oz on rugby league and Aussie Rules. Certainly helps to even the comps out....exemplified by how many different clubs share in the premierships over recent times.

Some fairly barking suggestions in this thread.

For what it's worth:

Although Alioski is not a long-term solution I would keep him over Costa and Casilla all day long. Let's not forget how much of the wage bill is currently wasted on those 2 liabilities.

I am not remotely a fan of Roberts but have a tiny inkling that there may just be something hiding in there albeit very deep down. Therefore, if MB thinks he is worth another half a season then I wouldn't be massively surprised.

Although I would love us to be able to bring in some real quality, I would rather see some of the U23s given a chance that persist with our under-performers or spend crazy money on journeymen or cast offs from other clubs. We have quite a good tradition of developing good defenders - Killgannon, Byram, Taylor etc.

Looks like Mcalmont and Gotts performing well on loan, not clear how well Bogusz is doing and the rest seem injury prone or inconsistent.

Having Gotts and Mcalmont back in midfield would at least provide depth.

That then leaves whoever we bring in - assume Harrison will be one of those - having Alioski, Roberts and Costa as back up wouldn’t be too bad.

If we sign a LB, 2 CM plus a striker and Harrison that wouldn’t be bad.

Fully fit we have 4 good CB and Koch can play CDM - think he was for Germany!

Will be able strengthening where we have obvious gaps.

Potentially quite a few outgoings this summer beyond the obvious with the likes of Bouy, Edmondson, Hossanah etc not likely to cut it.

Quote Originally Posted by asturianblanco View Post
    Mental.
    This guy always wants a bite after a loss..

Quote Originally Posted by Ozwhites View Post
    Draft and salary cap systems are here in Oz on rugby league and Aussie Rules. Certainly helps to even the comps out....exemplified by how many different clubs share in the premierships over recent times.
    In all honesty, even that system is a fraud as has been proven numerous times. So much goes under the table that no one knows. Look at Geelong at the names they have put together cant be cheap. My team Richmond has all the stars including Rance and were able to bring in Tom Lynch? It's a well-thought system and has had some results but overall it does have big holes.

Quote Originally Posted by ozleeds View Post
    In all honesty, even that system is a fraud as has been proven numerous times. So much goes under the table that no one knows. Look at Geelong at the names they have put together cant be cheap. My team Richmond has all the stars including Rance and were able to bring in Tom Lynch? It's a well-thought system and has had some results but overall it does have big holes.
    Any sport in any country can be fraudulent with payments naturally, but what I am talking about is the actual principle of those systems in place. "If" administered properly, they do provide a platform for evening out the competitions. Basically gives the teams that struggle at the bottom of the ladder each year some sort of preferential treatment (or level playing field) for the following season. I could be biased and say I hate it, as it has occasionally somewhat limited the teams I support when they have been going well....but overall it has strengthened the competitiveness of most teams on a weekly basis.

Quote Originally Posted by ozleeds View Post
    Saracens in rugby union spring to mind.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)