+ Visit Barnsley FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Are we really surprised at where we are now ......

God forbid this scenario happens. I look a mile down the road, amd see the train crash that has happened with an owner who was a total fan of the club as well as owner. what would happen at Barnsley should we get up into the PL would be the stuf of nightmares.
    Play offs yes....... Then throw them

Quote Originally Posted by Jules88 View Post
    God forbid this scenario happens. I look a mile down the road, amd see the train crash that has happened with an owner who was a total fan of the club as well as owner. what would happen at Barnsley should we get up into the PL would be the stuf of nightmares.
    Play offs yes....... Then throw them
    I wouldn't personally go about it the way the dog botherers did Jules .

I'd give the lads who got us up the opportunity to play in the PL , I'd probably bring in a couple to cover Brittain and possibly a left wing back but that's about it .

We'd almost certainly come straight back down but I'd then use the money to keep us competitive in the championship , build a new west stand , fill the corners in etc etc .

We've been in the PL before and I don't think the fan base would see it as the holy grail like many clubs do and I believe most of us know what we are and accept it .

Quote Originally Posted by animallittle3 View Post
    I wouldn't personally go about it the way the dog botherers did Jules .

I'd give the lads who got us up the opportunity to play in the PL , I'd probably bring in a couple to cover Brittain and possibly a left wing back but that's about it .

We'd almost certainly come straight back down but I'd then use the money to keep us competitive in the championship , build a new west stand , fill the corners in etc etc .

We've been in the PL before and I don't think the fan base would see it as the holy grail like many clubs do and I believe most of us know what we are and accept it .
    Wouldnt be pleasurable getting a pasting week in week out though. As we’ve all said, the Championship has been “Levelled out” we’ve been made competitive. We are 1000 miles from even having half a chance in the Prem..... Not being defeatist, but I don’t want to feel everyone’s pity and ridicule of a season with 15 or 20 points..... ( if we were lucky). These lads are working wonders, but we should make ourselves a top ten side season in and out for five years before we have a decent stab at it.
    Just my opinion though ..

It’s difficult to understand the negativity.
    We need to get promoted .... ASAP !!!
    Even if we are relegated the season after - the positives from it includes.
    1) £££Millions more investment into the local economy.
    2) £100 Million dropped into the cash register at the club.
    3) The fan base strengthened.

And if we were relegated - which I don’t think for one minute we would be - then just one season in the Premier will provide a base to build an even stronger Championship team that would eventually get back into the Premier.

I think our fans have got into such a deep rut caused by the Patrick era (15 long years) that they are finding it difficult now to look at the club positively.
    Our fans at some point have just got to get used to Barnsley being a potential Premier club.

Quote Originally Posted by Young_Nudger View Post

And if we were relegated - which I don’t think for one minute we would be - then just one season in the Premier will provide a base to build an even stronger Championship team that would eventually get back into the Premier.

I think our fans have got into such a deep rut caused by the Patrick era (15 long years) that they are finding it difficult now to look at the club positively.
    Our fans at some point have just got to get used to Barnsley being a potential Premier club.
    Average attendances prem 18400 98/99 16,300 99/00 15,400 00/01 14,500 the more successful bigger crowds more income thats what we all want frm top to bottom init.

Quote Originally Posted by Young_Nudger View Post

Agree with that. The financial windfall that getting to the Premier would bring would set this club up.

My take on it is that should we go up then add to the squad accordingly but nowt stupid. Be sensible with the finances, tek thi medicine that 1st season and come back stronger should we be relegated.

Promotion this season would catapult this club from being on the periphery of the championship also rans to reight in theear in a position similar to what Brentford find themselves in.

If we dunt gu up this season it could tek 6 or 7 years to find ourselves in a challenging position like Brentford are. Huge difference.

I think we might be getting well ahead of ourselves here. Of course its a welcome change to be in the mix for the top six and away from relegation but with the exception of Nudger, nobody thought we were good enough to be anywhere near this position.

Its great to have dreams and ride the rollercoaster of the next 14 matches but were still a long way off turning our thoughts to the play offs. This season has helped many of us through the lockdowns and has really been a surprise and if it ended now I would be delighted with the progress on the field and off. I have been a big critic of this ownership but this latest transfer window produced a glimmer of hope that they might not create another train wreck with the sell, sell, sell approach to ownership. For that at least I thank them, long may it continue. Try build, build, build instead.

Quote Originally Posted by EthelRed View Post
    I think we might be getting well ahead of ourselves here. Of course its a welcome change to be in the mix for the top six and away from relegation but with the exception of Nudger, nobody thought we were good enough to be anywhere near this position.

Its great to have dreams and ride the rollercoaster of the next 14 matches but were still a long way off turning our thoughts to the play offs. This season has helped many of us through the lockdowns and has really been a surprise and if it ended now I would be delighted with the progress on the field and off. I have been a big critic of this ownership but this latest transfer window produced a glimmer of hope that they might not create another train wreck with the sell, sell, sell approach to ownership. For that at least I thank them, long may it continue. Try build, build, build instead.
    17 matches left 👅

8 wins from 14 games should see us home and dry or 1.7 points per game .

I have a figure of 75 points to make the top 6 .

Still a big ask is this mind as I suspect we may have peaked too soon , there's bound to be a wobble to come .

The key thing for me is when we eventually lose a game can we bounce straight back and win the next one ? .

That's a hurdle to jump over that will give me more belief .

Are we surprised at whats happened this season, well yeah thats an understatement isn't it. Surely nobody can say they expected this to happen, even though we did finish last season well and stayed up against the odds.
    As for the remaining games, we won't challenge for the top 6 but Im not forgetting what an impressive and enjoyable season its been so far.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast