+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Glenn Roeder RIP

Really sad news and scary to think I am only 5 years younger than Glenn. Seem to remember seeing the game v Aston Villa towards the end of 1983 when we won 5-2 with him in the side. Must have been after that game, or during it, that the buckets came out and I think I contributed a fiver, which was quite a lot for a lad just starting a low paid job after college in the Thatcher years when vacancies were at a premium.

RIP Glenn and condolences to his family.

Only played 4 games but you could see he oozed class

Quote Originally Posted by BigFatPie View Post
    RIP Glenn.

I imagine there’s still a dusty old bucket full of coins and a few notes in the chairman’s office. ‘The Glenn Roeder Fund’.
    What happened to that money? Was it just absorbed into general club income?

Yes what a talented player he was. So sad at his loss. RIP

Quote Originally Posted by upthemaggies View Post

Pic from "Notts County History"..... https://twitter.com/magpies_history
    I think that was at a night game at Birmingham City and I'm certain I made that banner up in my garden in Bestwood Estate. My mum told me off for using a single bed sheet of mine - things were hard then. I am looking to my right and behind the guy with the Super Notts scarf on in the middle and my mate Charve is behind me. He's about 6ft 7/8, so used to stand out a bit. Bloody hell that's brought home some memories.

I think they spent my tenner on Declan Edge.

Really sad news and thoughts go out to his family and friends. Remember those days well, such a classy player and I’m convinced we’d have stayed up had we signed him. Had we done that the £150k fee would surely have been a snip however much we fans raised. Lots of mystery remains around what happened to our tenners but I hope it was put to good use in support of the club.

Was a very composed classy centre half for Notts. One of Dunnetts biggest mistakes not signing him, despite his offer of 50/50, should have just made up the difference. Who knows where we would be now

I had the pleasure of meeting Glen when he was on loan here in 1983, I was a guest in one of the Executive Boxes for a match at the Lane, after the game he came up to speak with us and amore humble chap you could not wish to meet. He was set on joining the Pies he was really enjoying his time at the Lane as much as we the fans had taken to him as a person and more importantly what he was capable of doing to help with our fight to avoid the drop.
    Sadly for both parties it ended as just one of those, "What Might Have Been Stories", Jack Dunnett made in my opinion one of the biggest mistakes of his Meadow Lane Tenure, I would love to know what happened to my £50-00 donation to the Glen Roeder Fund.

R I P Glen Thank you for all your efforts whilst on loan at the Lane, Great Memories.

Quote Originally Posted by Glad2BeAPie View Post
    Only played 4 games but you could see he oozed class
    Four league games but he played seven in all with the three League Cup draws against Birmingham City.
    He cleared two off the line line and hit the post at the other end in his first game for Notts at West Brom, which we lost, but we were then unbeaten in his remaining six games, including a win at Southampton who finished 2nd and the 5-2 demolition of Aston Villa. A home draw with Norwich was his other game.

Chris Waddle was on the radio yesterday saying what an important player he was in Newcastle's promotion winning team with Keegan, Beardsley and McDermott. He ended up going there Christmas 1983 a month after last playing for Notts.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast