+ Visit Rotherham United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Glenn Roeder has died aged 65

Glenn Roeder has died aged 65

Former Watford, West Ham, Newcastle and Norwich boss Glenn Roeder has died aged 65 after a long illness, the League Managers Association has announced.

Roeder, who was a defender during his playing days, began his managerial career with a spell in charge at Gillingham.

He was also a coach in the England set-up when Glenn Hoddle was manager.

The LMA said it was "very deeply saddened" at Roeder's death "after a long battle with a brain tumour".

Roeder began his playing career at Leyton Orient before going on to represent Queens Park Rangers, Newcastle, Watford and Gillingham.

R.I.P Sir.

Been a long battle for him (and his family)

Seem to re-call he'd just come back from a lengthy spell of treatment when he came to Millmoor as West Ham (?) manager, or is my memory playing tricks on me

RIP

Quote Originally Posted by BramleyMiller58 View Post
    Been a long battle for him (and his family)

Seem to re-call he'd just come back from a lengthy spell of treatment when he came to Millmoor as West Ham (?) manager, or is my memory playing tricks on me

RIP
    RIP

That was almost 20 years ago BM so not sure?

I couldn't remember if he was involved in the 'changing room' incident at Millmoor but on checking I think that was Alan Pardew. One thing, the back 5 we had the last time we played WHU of Shaun Barker, McIntosh, Swailes, Robb Scott and Paul Hirst would have been useful to have for the rest of this season.

Remember him more as a player. He had the look of a player. R I P

Yes a stylish looking player

Quote Originally Posted by CAMiller View Post
    RIP

I couldn't remember if he was involved in the 'changing room' incident at Millmoor but on checking I think that was Alan Pardew. One thing, the back 5 we had the last time we played WHU of Shaun Barker, McIntosh, Swailes, Robb Scott and Paul Hirst would have been useful to have for the rest of this season.
    Yes Pardew the mardy arse and it subsequently got him the sack when we beat them 1-0! Oh for a Swailes/McIntosh pairing now.

R.i.P. Glenn Roeder
    Condolences to his family.

Glen Roeder was indeed manager of West Ham on the day we beat them 1-0 (Darren Byfield) and they got changed at the hotel. He was sacked the day after

Quote Originally Posted by CAMiller View Post
    RIP

Would have been.
    First diagnosed April 2003, back in at WHU July 2003 the "infamous game" was August 2003