+ Visit Burnley FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: State of Play at Turf Moor

In the Game against 'Spurs.' Ben Mee stood in front of Bale, that is before Bale, ,facing the incoming delivery by Son. So he allowed Bale to stand behind him, but not offside. Two mins and Bales first goal! (A schoolboy error!) Do we operate as a team or individuals?

With the 3rd goal, both Tarks and Mee stood near Kane, (marking Kane?) This left Lucas M, not covered .... and he scored. Taylor was not at fault, he had an attack coming down his flank, and were he had to be. It was Mee!

The last goal , Two Burnley defenders (Mee and Taylor) and two Spurs attackers. around the halfway line. Tarks had gone upfield to support Lawton and left his defence open. Between an attacker Moira, and Mee, at least 7 yds. With Bale some 15 yds. (from Taylor to Bale). The goal happened because of Tarks leaving his defence open.

Three goals that could have been avoided!

BT : As I see it if we leave attackers not covered well, they will score goals! Give an attacker 2-3 yds and your dead, perhaps stick to him like glue and he is dead!

Quote Originally Posted by Balanbam00 View Post
    BT : As I see it if we leave attackers not covered well, they will score goals! Give an attacker 2-3 yds and your dead, perhaps stick to him like glue and he is dead!
    Give Son, Bale and Kane the freedom of the park and inevitably you will get slaughtered Balam, we did and we did!

Quote Originally Posted by The Bedlington Terrier View Post
    Give Son, Bale and Kane the freedom of the park and inevitably you will get slaughtered Balam, we did and we did!
    Good footballers will always hurt you but great footballers will destroy you.

We are in a very difficult place at the minute as you could drive a bus through the midfield straight at our back 4 the gaps are enormous and i really can’t think why we’d even want to set up like that - the same applies to the forwards so they’re isolated all the time , hence we’re more reliant than ever on set pieces.

This is not a slur of Cork but since he came back centrally we’re wide open a lot as he doesn’t have a smidgin of pace to recover if we lose the ball and midfield is so important ( we lost possession yesterday and he looked like he had lead boots on he just couldn’t get back ).

The whole thing was dis jointed unorganised and imo anyway like an amateur team playing a higher standard team in the county cup for example .

Much as I like Dyche genuinely I think he’s out of ideas - I don’t think you can go away to Spurs with a set up like that and believe we’ll be competitive ——— it’s a bad question to ask but do you think Araldyce would have gone there and played like we did.

The answer is categorically NO he wouldn’t

I'm pretty much convinced we all love SD, but his inability or unwillingness to change formations leaves a lot to be desired.

Jay Rod and Vydra spent all afternoon chasing shadows.

SD might as well of put Mumbongo on alone up front to defend, harass and press and shove a bank of 5 behind him with the back four three yards away from them. At least we would not have got beat 4-0.

He could have then rested Wood, Jay Rod and Vydra for battles we could win.

Quote Originally Posted by Balanbam00 View Post
    In the Game against 'Spurs.' Ben Mee stood in front of Bale, that is before Bale, ,facing the incoming delivery by Son. So he allowed Bale to stand behind him, but not offside. Two mins and Bales first goal! (A schoolboy error!) Do we operate as a team or individuals?
    There was an error Balan, but it was Taylor, not Mee, who was at fault. Mee moved out quite deliberately to leave Bale in an offside position, Tarko moved up as well, but Taylor stayed rooted to the spot, playing Bale onside. When your centre-half and captain moves up, the entire back line moves up with him, it's basic, they must practice this together every day down Gawthorpe, you can even see the back four working on it on the pitch 30 minutes before a game. But for whatever reason Taylor didn't do what is drilled into every defender to do, move out as a unit, one out, all out. It's something no manager can allow for in a game, an individual error, especially not Dyche in this case, because this is something we normally do so well.
    Last edited by sinkov; 01-03-2021 at 09:27 AM.

Slowly but surely the standards are slipping.We used to have one game like yesterday every 10 games.Then it became every 5 or 6 games last season.Now it is one good game in every 5 or 6 games.
    The players in my opinion seem to have lost their confidence completely.The only passing they do is backwards and sidewards or hoofball. We are static, disjointed in midfield, devoid of ideas and attacking play, our finishing is non existent and the defence is getting leakier every game.
    Dyche`s whole concept is based on not letting goals in at our end and hopefully nicking a goal at the other end so if your defence is leaking goals then your concept is phooked.I can accept getting beat by Spurs and Man City but not seeing the same against West Brom, Fulham and Bournemouth.It shows where we are in terms of quality-Championship mid table at best.If we do get relegated then there will be no swift return like last time because the aforementioned concept is only good for the PL.You need some attacking prowess as well as a good defence to get 90 points over 46 games

Quote Originally Posted by ClaretinBudapest View Post
    Slowly but surely the standards are slipping.We used to have one game like yesterday every 10 games.Then it became every 5 or 6 games last season.Now it is one good game in every 5 or 6 games.
    No one can argue with that CiB, Three years ago we had a reasonable squad, we were poor perhaps one game in 10, We needed to strengthen that squad, or at least refresh it, we didn't, nothing happened, we stood still. So then, as you say, it became every 5/6 games, it was even more necessary to strengthen the squad, we didn't, we stood still again, and if you stand still while everyone else is moving forward, you get left behind. So we are where we are now, well and truly left behind, and we could all see it coming, it's been entirely predictable. If anyone thinks this shambles is simply because Dyche is inflexible, I'm wondering just where they've been during the last six transfer windows, there's the reason we look out of our depth in most games, it's because we ARE out of our depth, and we've been gradually slipping underwater for the last three years.

It astonishes me that anyone can think this is the fault of Sean Dyche, and not the two men who have been sat for three years on millions that could have been spent on players, in order to feather their own nest. Perhaps when we get fans back on Turf Moor we can expect Garlick and John B to get a round of applause as they take their seats in the stands, in appreciation of their astute management of the club's finances, while we boo Sean Dyche, because his rag-bag collection of injury prone journeymen can't compete with the likes of Bale, Kane and Son.

Quote Originally Posted by sinkov View Post
    No one can argue with that CiB, Three years ago we had a reasonable squad, we were poor perhaps one game in 10, We needed to strengthen that squad, or at least refresh it, we didn't, nothing happened, we stood still. So then, as you say, it became every 5/6 games, it was even more necessary to strengthen the squad, we didn't, we stood still again, and if you stand still while everyone else is moving forward, you get left behind. So we are where we are now, well and truly left behind, and we could all see it coming, it's been entirely predictable. If anyone thinks this shambles is simply because Dyche is inflexible, I'm wondering just where they've been during the last six transfer windows, there's the reason we look out of our depth in most games, it's because we ARE out of our depth, and we've been gradually slipping underwater for the last three years.

It astonishes me that anyone can think this is the fault of Sean Dyche, and not the two men who have been sat for three years on millions that could have been spent on players, in order to feather their own nest. Perhaps when we get fans back on Turf Moor we can expect Garlick and John B to get a round of applause as they take their seats in the stands, in appreciation of their astute management of the club's finances, while we boo Sean Dyche, because his rag-bag collection of injury prone journeymen can't compete with the likes of Bale, Kane and Son.
    I would never expect us to compete with Bale, Kane and Son(although they had only taken 3 points from a possible 18 before yesterday)because they are in the galactico category.However I do expect us to compete with Fulham, a 10 man West Brom and a Bournemouth side that have sold most of their crown jewels.
    Another aspect of not freshening the squad is that the team can see every other team moving forward and when we inevitably get hammered or concede against the likes of Fulham and Bournemouth you can see the heads go down as though they do not really believe they can get back in the game.I certainly have seen that this season in a lot of games.Because of the set up once they go behind they know it is a mountain to climb.We are the second lowest scorers in all 92 league clubs so it is not surprising.I wonder if we actually practice attacking football or shooting at Gawthorpe.
    Last edited by ClaretinBudapest; 01-03-2021 at 12:20 PM.

There are five teams below us in the league, we've played against them 9 times this season, and lost just one. There are five teams even less competitive than us, and we only need three, it's all relative.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)