+ Visit Rotherham United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: R.I.P Steve Smith

R.I.P Steve Smith

AKA the Rotherham Rumpole. The first number we would ring as rogues in our younger days when we were in a bit of trouble.

A real Rotherham legend and author of some very funny books.

I don’t know any details. Just had a text saying he’s died.

RIP Steve

RIP Steve.

Never turned up for one of my mates hearings at Donny Crown Court. Instead he sent a junior who knew nothing of my mates case and he somehow waffled and bungled his way through it. My mate was crapping himself as he thought he may have gone down, he came out with a fine instead but was non too impressed with Smith's absence.

I've read some of his work and yes the guy from Canklow, his favourite client, did make me laugh with how he described him and put the scenario across.

RIP Steve

Quote Originally Posted by Brin View Post
    Never turned up for one of my mates hearings at Donny Crown Court. Instead he sent a junior who knew nothing of my mates case and he somehow waffled and bungled his way through it. My mate was crapping himself as he thought he may have gone down, he came out with a fine instead but was non too impressed with Smith's absence.

I've read some of his work and yes the guy from Canklow, his favourite client, did make me laugh with how he described him and put the scenario across.
    That will have been at Doncaster Magistrates Court. Crown Courts deal with more serious offences and the only one locally is at Sheffield

Quote Originally Posted by Pattylallacks2 View Post
    That will have been at Doncaster Magistrates Court. Crown Courts deal with more serious offences and the only one locally is at Sheffield
    I'm talking many many years ago.

I'm talking many many years ago.
    Unless your mate was a terrorist, kidnapper, rapist or the like he will still have been dealt with at Magistrates Court. The fact that a junior was able to get him off with a fine suggests he wasn't Al Capone.

Quote Originally Posted by Pattylallacks2 View Post
    Unless your mate was a terrorist, kidnapper, rapist or the like he will still have been dealt with at Magistrates Court. The fact that a junior was able to get him off with a fine suggests he wasn't Al Capone.
    I took my mate up there and sat in the gallery. Trust me when I say that there was one man sat on the big chair, Red cloak wearing a white wig, this was Donny Crown court and only he made the decision, mitigating circumstances and all that. Crown Court back in those days, didn't mean you had to be one of all you mentioned. He was a very lucky man not to be sent down though and he knew it.

I took my mate up there and sat in the gallery. Trust me when I say that there was one man sat on the big chair, Red cloak wearing a white wig, this was Donny Crown court and only he made the decision, mitigating circumstances and all that. Crown Court back in those days, didn't mean you had to be one of all you mentioned. He was a very lucky man not to be sent down though and he knew it.
    Was there not a jury?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast