+ Visit Barnsley FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Something our Directors and CEO MUST realise

Something our Directors and CEO MUST realise

In light of the Darren Moore to Sheffield Wednesday news.

If Barnsley players or the manager is successful - there is likely to be news or rumour that Leeds or the Sheffield clubs are looking to sign them.
    This has been the state of play for decades now.
    What this does is squeeze the support fan base at Barnsley Football Club - as the message is broadcast loud and clear from these clubs that if you want to see the best football then you should abandon Barnsley and travel to either Leeds or Sheffield.
    If Barnsley Football Club is to reach it’s full potential then ........
    THIS HAS TO STOP.
    Last edited by Young_Nudger; 01-03-2021 at 07:55 PM.

Ittull nivver stop. Sheffield clubs and Leeds are simply bigger than us Nudger, further up the footballing food chain if you like. After all, they have had more footballing success over their history and are cities that have a far bigger population than Barnsley. That is the attraction for your undecided resident of the Barnsley area.

The only time we've reached our potential in my 32 years as a fan wo 97/98 and that was because we obviously had success on the field. 16k season wo tickets sold that season and I reckon widda sold 20k if oakwell would've had that kind of capacity back then. I reckon a lot of those fans who bought into this club back then have not returned. It's always same, ivry man and his dog want to know when summat is happening but when the club is in league one gerrin tonked 3 nowt at Rochdale it's a different story.

Quote Originally Posted by pass_and_move View Post
    Ittull nivver stop. Sheffield clubs and Leeds are simply bigger than us Nudger, further up the footballing food chain if you like. After all, they have had more footballing success over their history and are cities that have a far bigger population than Barnsley. That is the attraction for your undecided resident of the Barnsley area.

The only time we've reached our potential in my 32 years as a fan wo 97/98 and that was because we obviously had success on the field. 16k season wo tickets sold that season and I reckon widda sold 20k if oakwell would've had that kind of capacity back then. I reckon a lot of those fans who bought into this club back then have not returned. It's always same, ivry man and his dog want to know when summat is happening but when the club is in league one gerrin tonked 3 nowt at Rochdale it's a different story.
    And that’s my point.
    The mindset expressed in your first paragraph has to be broken.
    If it’s not - then Barnsley will continue to operate in part shade - the business never able to fulfil its full potential.

We have a town of about 240,000 with a catchment area wider than that - those areas outside of the district that consider Barnsley as their local town from Hemsworth to Brampton to Denby Dale.
    We have to have success on the field equal or better than those of our business competitors.
    Kids in the area have to choose Barnsley as their first choice.

Quote Originally Posted by Young_Nudger View Post
    And that’s my point.
    If it’s not - then Barnsley will continue to operate in part shade - the business never able to fulfil its full potential.

We have a town of about 240,000 with a catchment area wider than that - those areas outside of the district that consider Barnsley as their local town from Hemsworth to Brampton to Denby Dale.
    We have to have success on the field equal or better than those of our business competitors.
    Depending what the owners do at the end of the season if we are still in this league will go along way to changing our mindsets nudge plus every other transfer window that comes along, weve put ourselves in a very good position where we can sell and strengthen the only thing that can let us down are clauses in the players contracts and long term injuries if we get promoted it'll make us stronger together quicker.

And that’s my point.

Coming back from Oakwell for the seasons Huddersfield were in the Prem, the road through Denby Dale and Flockton ( Depending on which way we came back home was wash with cars heading in the other direction. Fickle Wakey folk and Posh folk treating their kids to £200 premier league season tickets to watch the visiting teams. There’s no loyalty from a third of your supporters when you hit the big time. Season tickets are bought by folk who don’t give a flying Sh yte about the local club. Huddersfield have had success equal and better than ours in the last years ( stuck in the craw that does, and don’t tell them I said it )..... but they haven’t built on it, and now drop back down to where they were ten years ago, with no more money...No better ground, No higher profile, and [ if the crowds wer allowed in....) attendances of maybe 8k.
    Pass is 100% right They come for a season when it’s great, 10% stick around..... the rest sod off.

Dont worry abaart Hudds Jules, they have got many relegation 6 pointers to come this season. And hopefully, they will have more in the years to come as well lol.
    At least this season, we West Yorkie Tykes can sit back and enjoy it as it happens.

Quote Originally Posted by Jules88 View Post
    Coming back from Oakwell for the seasons Huddersfield were in the Prem, the road through Denby Dale and Flockton ( Depending on which way we came back home was wash with cars heading in the other direction. Fickle Wakey folk and Posh folk treating their kids to £200 premier league season tickets to watch the visiting teams. There’s no loyalty from a third of your supporters when you hit the big time. Season tickets are bought by folk who don’t give a flying Sh yte about the local club. Huddersfield have had success equal and better than ours in the last years ( stuck in the craw that does, and don’t tell them I said it )..... but they haven’t built on it, and now drop back down to where they were ten years ago, with no more money...No better ground, No higher profile, and [ if the crowds wer allowed in....) attendances of maybe 8k.
    Pass is 100% right They come for a season when it’s great, 10% stick around..... the rest sod off.
    Dont talk about part timers ant prem 1st home gme a missed in 3yrs wa bradford city at home id had accident been on sic pay for 10mts tickets had sold out before i could get 2 got 2 1 game in prem bloke i new got 4 always going on are s..t we were used to make mi blood boil.

Quote Originally Posted by Jules88 View Post
    Kids are the key to this.
    The first match a kid goes to will usually be the club they support for the rest of their lives.
    Barnsley must position themselves as the club that parents from the district and immediate surrounding area want to take their kids to.
    That’s got to be done through a low admittance charge for kids - and Barnsley occupying a good position in the league - preferably the Premier league.

As for Huddersfield - I don’t see them as a business competitor.
    How many Huddersfield shirts or badges do you see in the Barnsley District ???
    Very rare.
    Compare them to the thousands of Leeds and Sheffield supporters that live in the Barnsley District.

I live in the Dearne area of Barnsley.
    About 40% of the people I know either support Leeds or one of the Sheffield clubs.

There will be people within Barnsley as mentioned just wanting a ticket for Premiership glory and can say later 'I saw Liverpool play at Barnsley' and yet they probably do not know the stadium is called Oakwell and on Grove St...'its just up hill on way to Donny!

One trick the club IMO though has always missed is the potential number of supporters in the Wakefield area. Mail outs, few adverts get match reports into the Wakefield Express etc (you can actually buy the Chronicle in some Wakey supermarkets at least), but historically the club done nowt!

Kids are the key to this.
    The first match a kid goes to will usually be the club they support for the rest of their lives.
    Barnsley must position themselves as the club that parents from the district and immediate surrounding area want to take their kids to.
    That’s got to be done through a low admittance charge for kids - and Barnsley occupying a good position in the league - preferably the Premier league.

As for Huddersfield - I don’t see them as a business competitor.
    How many Huddersfield shirts or badges do you see in the Barnsley District ???
    Very rare.
    Compare them to the thousands of Leeds and Sheffield supporters that live in the Barnsley District.

I live in the Dearne area of Barnsley.
    About 40% of the people I know either support Leeds or one of the Sheffield clubs.
    Could try improving the matchday experience!! Might be a winner.