+ Visit West Bromwich Albion FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Adrian Goldberg.

Adrian Goldberg.

He has stated that Johnstone and the Albion defence caused the controversy over that free kick. Utter rubbish! Yes, they should have been a little more alert to what was going on but it was the incompetent Lee Mason who caused the problem. He told Dunk that he could take a quick free kick, which he did and scored. The mayhem that followed was all down to Mason's subsequent actions and not our defence. Is what Goldberg saying is that when a referee gets it wrong it's down to a player(s) mistake or am I misinterpreting what he is saying?

For me, as with most things, there is never just one simple mistake or error. Johnstone and the defence were so slow at getting organised and looked as if they were running down the clock already!

I do think Johnstone in particular and the defence in general owe a great debt to Mason.

Did he blow the whistle and allow the free kick to be taken? It seems like it. Was he allowed to do that? Seems like it, although most referees seem these days to delay the free kick until the wall and goalie are ready.

So why did he blow the whistle the second time before the ball went in the net? Goodness knows why but I suspect he realised Johnstone wasn’t ready and he panicked because he thought he had made a mistake.

Yes Mason made the mistake of blowing the whistle the second time and disallowed the goal. Glad he did though. Just hope Johnstone and the defence learn from this as well and I bet Big Sam will be making sure they do,

I watched the free kick no goal several times and noticed that the players especially Pereira were not the required 10 yards away so I wonder if the shot had hit a defender and bounced away would he have ordered the free kick to be retaken as used to happen frequently before the spray line was introduced. I suspect a retake would be given so I don't feel any sympathy to Brighton. As for quick free kicks they usually occur in areas of the pitch where the attacking team can break quickly as opposed to around the edge of the box. The ref screwed up thankfully twice, By blowing his whistle giving Brighton the go-ahead then blowing again in deciding no they can't take it quickly. Albion defenders were a little naive just assuming that it was gonna be a shot over or around the wall job and Johnston equally at fault for not concentrating and being alert to any situation.

Would be good to know what the rules are, does the ref have to wait for the defence to be set up or not? If yes then he cocked it up if no then we were lax.

The point that I am trying to make is that our defence may have been lax, slow to respond or whatever but it was Mason's incompetence that caused all the controversy and not the players. Technically, if Dunk asked him if he could take the kick quickly, was told yes and Mason blew the whistle, the goal should have stood. Anything that went on after that was Mason's fault. There's nobody more pleased than I am at the outcome but it was the wrong decision.
    In answer to your question P67, no I don't think that the ref. is duty bound to wait until the wall is set up but it does tend to be the accepted practice nowadays.

I consider we were lucky...Mason indeed showed incompetence.
    A quick free kick, agreed by the ref is a smart action. It does seem unfair that the team awarded the foul are thereafter penalised by being expected to await the opposition to fully settle and set up!

I noticed that too. Don’t know where Goldberg got that idea from. I watched the whole match and it seemed like seconds when the ball was in the net. All the players were just getting set up when he took the kick. I didn’t think it was a goal from the off.

Quote Originally Posted by Prando View Post
    I consider we were lucky...Mason indeed showed incompetence.
    A quick free kick, agreed by the ref is a smart action. It does seem unfair that the team awarded the foul are thereafter penalised by being expected to await the opposition to fully settle and set up!

Totally agree Prando!! Johnstone should have been as quick and ready as the player taking the free kick!

As I said previously, it has become an accepted practice that sides are given time to set up a wall, so possibly, as with many of the other rules, it needs to be looked at again and a definitive ruling made in order that we all know where we stand. Having said this, as the current rule stands, the goal should have stood.

Sam did say we were not cute enough to be ready, but that in future we will put a man on the ball to stop it being taken quickly

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)