+ Visit Aberdeen FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Deid - Saturday lunchtime legend edition

Deid - Saturday lunchtime legend edition

Ian St John aged 82. Another childhood memory away. Saint & Greavsie was must see viewing for a while.

It’s a funny old game Saint.

I remember Greavsie giving him stick after Nicol missed a great chance for Scotland against Uruguay in the 1986 World Cup. He reacted the way most of us done when Nicol failed to score.

Another legend away, and yes Saint & Greavsie was must view television in the mid to late eighties.

RIP, Saint

Proper mannies fitba program, a staple of the 80’s weekend viewing choices.......better than that Soccer morning sh@te these days anyway .
    RIP Saint

Aye, sad news. RIP

Wasn't it Ian St. John's voice in the background that punctuated the airwaves with an enthusiastic "Yesss" when Hewitt dived to head in the winning goal on 11th May '83?
    Fairly sure he was part of the ITV (English) broadcast team for the Cup Winners Cup Final.

Quote Originally Posted by The Red Max View Post
    Aye, sad news. RIP
    he was a top Man.

Remember when we scored our winner in Gothenberg. Big shout of " Yaaaassss!!! " from the commentary ?
    That was the Saint.

Met him after the game at a party in Frank Gilfeathers hotel room . We were just wandering about and heard the noise from an open door. Walked in and the Saint was sitting on one of the beds with a drink in his hand.
    " Hey Sainty , I`m Neil the Don.
    " Oh YOU`Re Neil the Don. I`ve always wanted to meet you " he replied !! Proper Gent !!

Rest in peace !!

Quote Originally Posted by abz075 View Post
    Wasn't it Ian St. John's voice in the background that punctuated the airwaves with an enthusiastic "Yesss" when Hewitt dived to head in the winning goal on 11th May '83?
    Fairly sure he was part of the ITV (English) broadcast team for the Cup Winners Cup Final.
    Aye, on the English/Brian Moore comms.
    On the Scottish/Jock Brown comms it was Billy McNeil.

Baith the "YYYEEESSSSSSS" shouters now gone.

Who was it that said the immortal words “and the ball’s in the net, John Hewitt” during that game ?

I think Jock Brown?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast