+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: OT: RIP Ian St John

OT: RIP Ian St John

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/56250355

It has gone down in Liverpool mythology that when the board were reluctant to spend a record fee on the player, Shankly's reply was: "We can't afford not to buy him."

Which should have been our answer for Glenn Roeder.

Surprised that Jimmy Greaves has outlived Ian, though by all accounts he's not in great shape.

RIP

Quote Originally Posted by Old_pie View Post

Surprised that Jimmy Greaves has outlived Ian

RIP
    That was my first thought.

Too young to remember him as a player or manager (he did make three appearances in the dug out at Meadow Lane as boss of Portsmouth), so I'll always remember him as a TV presenter. His break came when Brian Moore became furious with ITV dropping "On the Ball" in favour of something called "Headline" at the top of the "World of Sport" programme dealing with whatever sport was in the news as well as football, Moore was toying with jumping ship to the BBC and St John was then asked to present "Headline" which soon reverted back to "On the ball" and he ended up doing it full time before it morphed into "Saint and Greavsie" when WOS was axed in 1985.

When Scotland played Peru in the World Cup in 1978 St John was co-commentator with Hugh Johns but the line failed and English viewers ended up hearing Arthur Montford (of Scottish TV) instead. Hugh Johns and St John were supposed to be professional and carry on in case the problem was sorted, so they could go straight back to them, but Hugh Johns stormed out of the commentary area in disgust leaving St John to attempt to commentate on his own and he ended up swearing and cursing throughout and was given a severe dressing down for by his ITV bosses.

I saw him towards the end of his playing days at Anfield a few times and his cup winning goal is one of my earliest and fondest football memories. He was a pretty good player. Very sad.

Loved Saint N Greasvie on a Saturday lunch time on ITV

I can remember some wit in Liverpool saw a message on a church notice board that read 'God Saves' and wrote underneath
    But St John knocks in the rebound. Top player alongside Roger Hunt.

Quote Originally Posted by irishpete View Post
    Loved Saint N Greasvie on a Saturday lunch time on ITV
    I'm too young to remember Ian St John playing, but I have great memories of watching Saint & Greavsie, which in my opinion remains the best ever football magazine programme. The warmth and shared humour between the presenters translated through the TV screen and made it a special programme to watch. A very fond memory from my childhood/youth.

RIP Saint.