+ Visit Dundee FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 42 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Scottish Government moving the goalposts

Quote Originally Posted by Biffo_the_Bear View Post
    I disagree with islay on this “Westminster handouts” islay I’m in my late 50s and have paid my tax to the British government since I was 16, now I know we have a devolved parliament up here but when I’m asked on any form about my ethnicity I always tick “White British” as that’s what I see myself as so I don’t see this as handouts whatsoever just some of our own cash coming back.
    islay is a bit of a bigot, thinks Scots are all beggars, doesn't realise Scottish taxpayers are paying his pension, free bus travel, which he uses frequently to break the rules, free care if he ever needs it etc etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Biffo_the_Bear View Post
    Definitely no upbeat rros pretty downbeat if anything, I haven’t seen it myself so will take islays word for it, to change the basis for moving down tiers now is an absolute joke, with everyone who’s in the vulnerable category now having had the first jab(if they wanted it) we should be starting to move back to normality not putting more obstacles in the way of this, we’ve got to get shops and cafes open soon and pubs etc following at the back of them, most folk I talk to about this have now had it and are going against advice some more than others but most folk seem to be at the the of their tether.

I disagree with islay on this “Westminster handouts” islay I’m in my late 50s and have paid my tax to the British government since I was 16, now I know we have a devolved parliament up here but when I’m asked on any form about my ethnicity I always tick “White British” as that’s what I see myself as so I don’t see this as handouts whatsoever just some of our own cash coming back.
    Regarding Westminster ‘handouts’ I was trying to explain to the pro independence supporters that an independent Scotland would be in a sorry state if they had to use their own money instead of getting handouts from Westminster under the Barnett Formula and the Barnett consequentials.
    Some of the prominent pro independence supporters on Islay prior to September 2014 used to say that an independent Scotland would be able to pull its own fiscal levers but in recent years I have not heard these Islay residents mention anything about pulling fiscal levers.

Quote Originally Posted by islaydarkblue View Post
    in recent years I have not heard these Islay residents mention anything about pulling fiscal levers.
    They're probably bored with your crap and don't talk to you any more.

Quote Originally Posted by Taintedice View Post
    islay is a bit of a bigot, thinks Scots are all beggars, doesn't realise Scottish taxpayers are paying his pension, free bus travel, which he uses frequently to break the rules, free care if he ever needs it etc etc.
    You have fairly changed your tune as you previously posted that there was no Scottish Income Tax.
    I am not a bit of a bigot.
    I speak my mind and carry out my research before posting.
    It is the Barnett Formula which is paying for the free bus travel which is for a lot more people than just those aged 60 and over, free personal care, free annual eye tests for people aged 60 and over and free prescriptions for everyone resident in Scotland.
    However the Barnett Formula would end overnight as soon as Scotland became an independent country and it would have to learn to stand on its own two feet.
    If an independent Scotland was able to rejoin the EU it would have to use its own currency ie the Groat or join the Euro. An EU country is barred from using the currency of a non EU country.

I hate having nothing to disagree with in an islay post so I'll just say the motivation for continued lockdown is more about their own image externally than controlling people.
    My God, fairish comment.

Quote Originally Posted by Deeranged View Post
    They're probably bored with your crap and don't talk to you any more.
    The island of Islay has since before the September 2014 become a more unfriendly place.
    Internet forums such as the Islay Community Noticeboard Facebook Page which is a private group has encouraged some people who think that they are ‘big fishes albeit in a wee pool’ to become ‘keyboard warriors’ and post abusive posts.
    These posts when aimed at me do not bother me as I have served my time receiving nasty posts from Taintedice and yourself on Mad.
    I know who these posters on the ICN Facebook Page are and I will deal with them in due course.
    There is a well known saying “Sticks and stones will break your bones but names will never harm you”.

Quote Originally Posted by BCram View Post
    We are being taken for mugs. Am I disappointed or depressed about this? Not in the least. Our politicians are demonstrating on a daily basis that they do not understand the problem, and as a result have built systems that solve the only thing they care about, making sure the NHS is not swamped by covid patients. They and NHS leaders blundered enormously by not dealing with the prospect of a pandemic hitting our shores. They were all guilty and they knew that the only policy that could prevent total meltdown was flattening the curve.

Now they are behind the curve and soon the message that the vaccine actually prevents the extreme effects of covid will be trotted out as a proof that lockdowns are no longer needed. They have brought out mask wearing as an additional measure, using up the medical ones that are stockpiled by the billion.

It depends on vaccinating everyone who is in the vulnerable groups and they will have that done in April. It is a game changing moment and
    I think that the threat of mutations of covid is a final attempt to scare people into compliance. Covid is being cured, people are surviving it, and hospital treatment has changed very significantly from the early days.

I think annual vaccinations for everyone will be the way forward. The cost is tiny compared with lockdowns and the medical profession will get money to make sure our beds per 100000 ratio is improved to bring it up into the top tier.

Just watched the changes in levels. Think this would never have been proposed if there was not a very sound statistical case that Scotland will meet these new levels. Nicola, tough but fair, thanks Scotland for following her leadership and asks the country to vote her back into power. It didn't work for Churchill and it won't work for her IMO.
    There was a plan but was binned.

I hate having nothing to disagree with in an islay post so I'll just say the motivation for continued lockdown is more about their own image externally than controlling people.
    My God. I am shocked at your reply. I do not know if my heart can take it.

No Scottish pension, no free bus travel, no free care.

Quote Originally Posted by islaydarkblue View Post
    My God. I am shocked at your reply. I do not know if my heart can take it.
    😁

Page 2 of 42 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)