+ Visit Dundee FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 40 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Scottish Government moving the goalposts

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Scottish Government moving the goalposts

Today it has been announced by the Scottish Government that they are introducing new rules that will make it harder for areas to drop down to lower tiers of Covid restrictions after lockdown is eased in Scotland.
    The Scottish Government is hoping to return to the levels system in late April.
    The excuse is that this more stringent approach is because of the new faster-spreading variant of the virus.
    This in my opinion is ridiculous.
    What is the point of having mass vaccinations if these ‘half wits’ masquerading as politicians at Holyrood are going to ‘move the goalposts’ to suit their own agenda of trying to control everything we do.
    They would soon change their tune if the furlough ‘gravy train’ handouts from Westminster stopped.
    Then it would be ‘bite on the bullet’ time.
    I think it is ridiculous that the whole of Mainland Scotland is still in Tier 4 because of a higher number of positive Covid-19 cases in Glasgow and surrounding health board areas.
    There should not be a ‘one size fits all’.
    The Covid-19 virus should be left to run its course.

Quote Originally Posted by islaydarkblue View Post
    Today it has been announced by the Scottish Government that they are introducing new rules that will make it harder for areas to drop down to lower tiers of Covid restrictions after lockdown is eased in Scotland.
    The Scottish Government is hoping to return to the levels system in late April.
    The excuse is that this more stringent approach is because of the new faster-spreading variant of the virus.
    This in my opinion is ridiculous.
    What is the point of having mass vaccinations if these ‘half wits’ masquerading as politicians at Holyrood are going to ‘move the goalposts’ to suit their own agenda of trying to control everything we do.
    They would soon change their tune if the furlough ‘gravy train’ handouts from Westminster stopped.
    Then it would be ‘bite on the bullet’ time.
    I think it is ridiculous that the whole of Mainland Scotland is still in Tier 4 because of a higher number of positive Covid-19 cases in Glasgow and surrounding health board areas.
    There should not be a ‘one size fits all’.
    The Covid-19 virus should be left to run its course.
    Tier system for evermore islay, lockdown every winter.

Don't know why folk can't see it.

Unfortunately a huge % of people like living like this....I have been doing my own thing since May.....I just ignore it as best I could.

When guys like Mr Hitchens admit that battle has been lost you just Ken.

It's just starting to dawn on even the optimists that the Scottish adminastration are enjoying doing this and will do it for as long as they can.

Interested to hear Deecoms, Bcram and biffos take on this as they were fairly upbeat even a few months back......not that that's wrong.....it gave me a bit of hope (even though in my heart i didnae really believe it) but I genuinely see none now.

Definitely no upbeat rros pretty downbeat if anything, I haven’t seen it myself so will take islays word for it, to change the basis for moving down tiers now is an absolute joke, with everyone who’s in the vulnerable category now having had the first jab(if they wanted it) we should be starting to move back to normality not putting more obstacles in the way of this, we’ve got to get shops and cafes open soon and pubs etc following at the back of them, most folk I talk to about this have now had it and are going against advice some more than others but most folk seem to be at the the of their tether.

I disagree with islay on this “Westminster handouts” islay I’m in my late 50s and have paid my tax to the British government since I was 16, now I know we have a devolved parliament up here but when I’m asked on any form about my ethnicity I always tick “White British” as that’s what I see myself as so I don’t see this as handouts whatsoever just some of our own cash coming back.

I am still upbeat, I have had my first jab, and expect to receive my second sooner than predicted.
    We continue to hear how many people are taking the vaccine and also how effective the Psizer and Astra vaccines are especially in older groups.
    The government are delighted with the speed and scale of the vaccine program.
    Changing tiers won't make any difference to me.
    On the first lockdown, eg, Monifieth , less than two miles from my house was out of bounds, I just ignored it, no one pulled me up on it, but if they had I would have challenged the rule.
    If we end up in different tiers, whatever they may be, I will challenge the rule if stopped and I won't be paying any fines.
    I worked in industry, starting in the sixties, when we fought for shorter working weeks, sick pay, travel money, dirty money etc.
    We won all of that and much more, which many people take for granted now.
    I have always fought for my rights, and although I am now retired after working for fifty years, I will continue to fight against injustice.

Quote Originally Posted by Biffo_the_Bear View Post
    I disagree with islay on this “Westminster handouts” islay I’m in my late 50s and have paid my tax to the British government since I was 16, now I know we have a devolved parliament up here but when I’m asked on any form about my ethnicity I always tick “White British” as that’s what I see myself as so I don’t see this as handouts whatsoever just some of our own cash coming back.
    islay is a bit of a bigot, thinks Scots are all beggars, doesn't realise Scottish taxpayers are paying his pension, free bus travel, which he uses frequently to break the rules, free care if he ever needs it etc etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Taintedice View Post
    islay is a bit of a bigot, thinks Scots are all beggars, doesn't realise Scottish taxpayers are paying his pension, free bus travel, which he uses frequently to break the rules, free care if he ever needs it etc etc.
    You have fairly changed your tune as you previously posted that there was no Scottish Income Tax.
    I am not a bit of a bigot.
    I speak my mind and carry out my research before posting.
    It is the Barnett Formula which is paying for the free bus travel which is for a lot more people than just those aged 60 and over, free personal care, free annual eye tests for people aged 60 and over and free prescriptions for everyone resident in Scotland.
    However the Barnett Formula would end overnight as soon as Scotland became an independent country and it would have to learn to stand on its own two feet.
    If an independent Scotland was able to rejoin the EU it would have to use its own currency ie the Groat or join the Euro. An EU country is barred from using the currency of a non EU country.

Definitely no upbeat rros pretty downbeat if anything, I haven’t seen it myself so will take islays word for it, to change the basis for moving down tiers now is an absolute joke, with everyone who’s in the vulnerable category now having had the first jab(if they wanted it) we should be starting to move back to normality not putting more obstacles in the way of this, we’ve got to get shops and cafes open soon and pubs etc following at the back of them, most folk I talk to about this have now had it and are going against advice some more than others but most folk seem to be at the the of their tether.

Regarding Westminster ‘handouts’ I was trying to explain to the pro independence supporters that an independent Scotland would be in a sorry state if they had to use their own money instead of getting handouts from Westminster under the Barnett Formula and the Barnett consequentials.
    Some of the prominent pro independence supporters on Islay prior to September 2014 used to say that an independent Scotland would be able to pull its own fiscal levers but in recent years I have not heard these Islay residents mention anything about pulling fiscal levers.

Quote Originally Posted by islaydarkblue View Post
    in recent years I have not heard these Islay residents mention anything about pulling fiscal levers.
    They're probably bored with your crap and don't talk to you any more.

Quote Originally Posted by Deeranged View Post
    They're probably bored with your crap and don't talk to you any more.
    The island of Islay has since before the September 2014 become a more unfriendly place.
    Internet forums such as the Islay Community Noticeboard Facebook Page which is a private group has encouraged some people who think that they are ‘big fishes albeit in a wee pool’ to become ‘keyboard warriors’ and post abusive posts.
    These posts when aimed at me do not bother me as I have served my time receiving nasty posts from Taintedice and yourself on Mad.
    I know who these posters on the ICN Facebook Page are and I will deal with them in due course.
    There is a well known saying “Sticks and stones will break your bones but names will never harm you”.

Wee bit gutted to hear you are downbeat.

Hopefully the English start forcing Johnson's hand and sturgeon has to follow.

Just sheer weight of numbers in England might do it as Johnson is influenced big time by the polls.

Up here I just don't think we have enough people speaking out and our elderly population seem far too accepting of it.

Booked up for London end of May and if England's open I'll be going no matter what Sturgeon says.

If furlough scheme is extended to end of the year in budget tomorrow we are ****ed as Scottish Govt will then have the resource to keep everyone locked up.

Page 1 of 40 12311 ... LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)