+ Visit Dundee FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 7 of 42 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast

Thread: Scottish Government moving the goalposts

Quote Originally Posted by Taintedice View Post
    Good to see your support for a 2nd referendum given so many have changed their minds since 2014. Oil could provide so much more for Scotland's econony, unfortunately Salmond chose not to venture down that path, instead just concentrated on the price of a barrel rather than seeking to explore the Norway model, for example.
    That scenario has passed. McCrone Report was suppressed and the slogan It's Scotland's Oil, just didn't ring true for the majority of Scots at the time. Interesting that the Saudis are restricting their output in an attempt to get the current overstocks reduced and push the price up to $ 87 from current $60. Decommissioning seems to be the order of the day for Scottish oil fields. Maybe the wrong path to travel?

Sorry if I have created the impression that I favour a second independence referendum. Nothing could be further from the truth. Think we should wait to see how Brexit works out and get the issues raised by the Salmond enquiry dealt with. FWIW I think all political systems need refreshed to allow new ideas to be developed. I am hopeful that Sarwar actually revives old style Labour and we get a period of cooperation that delivers better results for the people of Scotland.

The slogan Scotland's Oil probably reached about 20 people in 1974, the SNP were hardly front-page news.

Too bad, $1trn of Scotland's money spent on London, another $1.5trn still in the ground.

ah well, the tories will still love us when it's gone, won't they.

Quote Originally Posted by BCram View Post
    That scenario has passed. McCrone Report was suppressed and the slogan It's Scotland's Oil, just didn't ring true for the majority of Scots at the time. Interesting that the Saudis are restricting their output in an attempt to get the current overstocks reduced and push the price up to $ 87 from current $60. Decommissioning seems to be the order of the day for Scottish oil fields. Maybe the wrong path to travel?

Sorry if I have created the impression that I favour a second independence referendum. Nothing could be further from the truth. Think we should wait to see how Brexit works out and get the issues raised by the Salmond enquiry dealt with. FWIW I think all political systems need refreshed to allow new ideas to be developed. I am hopeful that Sarwar actually revives old style Labour and we get a period of cooperation that delivers better results for the people of Scotland.
    improved technology means we can access more of the reserves rather than simply abandon and decommission. We're pulling oil and gas out now that we wouldn't have had access to ten years ago and are exploring further and deeper to locate new fields.

There is a future in decommissioning for Scotland but it needs to run in parallel with the construction of new wells and the continued production of resources from these and existing wells that were considered close to abandonment but are now still capable of profitable production.

oh my
    You know something here I dont?

The slogan Scotland's Oil probably reached about 20 people in 1974, the SNP were hardly front-page news.

Too bad, $1trn of Scotland's money spent on London, another $1.5trn still in the ground.

ah well, the tories will still love us when it's gone, won't they.
    Can I take it that were not involved with the SNP in 1974?

Quote Originally Posted by Deeranged View Post
    improved technology means we can access more of the reserves rather than simply abandon and decommission. We're pulling oil and gas out now that we wouldn't have had access to ten years ago and are exploring further and deeper to locate new fields.

There is a future in decommissioning for Scotland but it needs to run in parallel with the construction of new wells and the continued production of resources from these and existing wells that were considered close to abandonment but are now still capable of profitable production.
    Thanks for the info. Any details on the number of barrels still possible to recover. I was wondering if there was a non carbon producing way of using oil. Seems to me that if the petrol/diesel isn't needed for cars there would need to be a high value volume use will be needed. Just interested and I have no political axe to grind with this area of discussion.

Quote Originally Posted by BCram View Post
    Can I take it that were not involved with the SNP in 1974?
    Was I involved with the SNP in 1974? How old you do you take me for

Quote Originally Posted by eric_sinclair View Post
    You know something here I dont?
    Just having a wee chuckle at rros being a big indy supporter back in the day

I don't know how old you are. It might be interesting but I would not want to be ageist.

I'm easily the youngest on here and my modern, progressive views demonstrate that.

They certainly do demonstrate the innocence of youth.

Page 7 of 42 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)