+ Visit Rotherham United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: O/T Questions for someone in the US or understands the TV market

Quote Originally Posted by MillersTime View Post
    Interesting, still makes me wonder if you live in LA would you get Lakers or Clippers? Or can you choose? Perhaps I should have a little Google. I wonder why the Premier league etc haven't gone down the same route with club channels for games, similar to ifollow but domestically. Perhaps limiting supply keeps up the demand. And the well worn out excuse of 3pm attendances being hurt.
    Don't know about LA but in the SF Bay area you got both Giants/A's MLB and 49ers/Raiders NFL on the local channel. Luckily there's no such thing as the 3pm Saturday timeline here for any of the sports and obviously due to the time zone variances. When I was there Mrs. CA loved me doing the 80 mile round trip to a 7pm Saturday A's game that went to extra innings, finished at 11:30, home at 12:30 to get up and leave again the next morning for a 1pm Sunday game

Quote Originally Posted by CAMiller View Post
    Don't know about LA but in the SF Bay area you got both Giants/A's MLB and 49ers/Raiders NFL on the local channel. Luckily there's no such thing as the 3pm Saturday timeline here for any of the sports and obviously due to the time zone variances. When I was there Mrs. CA loved me doing the 80 mile round trip to a 7pm Saturday A's game that went to extra innings, finished at 11:30, home at 12:30 to get up and leave again the next morning for a 1pm Sunday game
    Blimey! The one American sport I just can't watch is baseball, probably because I don't really get it but it does seem to go on and on and on without much happening. I'd rather watch dodgeball! (Not a bad sport actually). Imagine the furore over here if any team had to do a back to back, a back to back that can be in Miami the first night and San Fran the next....

One thing a lot of people don't realise, apart from American Football the regular seasons for NBA, NHL and MLB are insane in the amount of games and amount of air miles. Same players largely night after night, minus knocks here and there.

Blimey! The one American sport I just can't watch is baseball, probably because I don't really get it but it does seem to go on and on and on without much happening. I'd rather watch dodgeball! (Not a bad sport actually). Imagine the furore over here if any team had to do a back to back, a back to back that can be in Miami the first night and San Fran the next....

One thing a lot of people don't realise, apart from American Football the regular seasons for NBA, NHL and MLB are insane in the amount of games and amount of air miles. Same players largely night after night, minus knocks here and there.
    It's the one game I DO enjoy watching - in moderation - here! (Can't see myself doing CAM's marathon attendances when he lived in the Bay Area.) I like the statistical side to it, the complexity of the rules and the fact that they've only made minor amendments to them in the last 140 years or so! The ride to both the A's and Giants stadia is about 25 minutes on BART for me, CAM, so relatively straightforward.

Quote Originally Posted by CTMilller View Post
    It's the one game I DO enjoy watching - in moderation - here! (Can't see myself doing CAM's marathon attendances when he lived in the Bay Area.) I like the statistical side to it, the complexity of the rules and the fact that they've only made minor amendments to them in the last 140 years or so! The ride to both the A's and Giants stadia is about 25 minutes on BART for me, CAM, so relatively straightforward.
    I suppose I should have clarified that the company I was working for at the time owned the naming rights to Oakland Coliseum so the draw of free tickets, free parking, a box directly behind home plate and unlimited food and alcohol was far too big a draw for a Yorkshireman. I did have to pay for my own petrol though

I suppose I should have clarified that the company I was working for at the time owned the naming rights to Oakland Coliseum so the draw of free tickets, free parking, a box directly behind home plate and unlimited food and alcohol was far too big a draw for a Yorkshireman. I did have to pay for my own petrol though
    You still got the siphon pipe?

Even I would of been a superfan if those were the terms. Talking of Oakland, do the people who supported the Raiders still support them in Las Vegas? Or do most see that as being abandoned? How does that work? One of the odd things about the franchise model

Quote Originally Posted by CTMilller View Post
    Sounds like a lot of the reasons why people don't enjoy other sports. If you don't know the rules properly and nuances it is easy to switch off to it. I just don't get it, not that I've tried to I'll be honest.

Even I would of been a superfan if those were the terms. Talking of Oakland, do the people who supported the Raiders still support them in Las Vegas? Or do most see that as being abandoned? How does that work? One of the odd things about the franchise model
    I think the hardcore fans followed them from Oakland to LA and then back again so I guess they have continued to do so in Vegas. It's not always the case though as in the NBA I doubt you'll find any Seattle Sonics fans who support Oklahoma Thunder where they were moved to. Most franchise moves are in the same vein as the Wimbledon - MK Dons hatred category.

Sounds like a lot of the reasons why people don't enjoy other sports. If you don't know the rules properly and nuances it is easy to switch off to it. I just don't get it, not that I've tried to I'll be honest.
    My entire knowledge of baseball when moving to the US was down to knowing Joe DiMaggio was once married to Marilyn Monroe and he was mentioned in a Simon and Garfunkel song. I've picked up a lot in 22 years here but must admit my interest level has waned.

My entire knowledge of baseball when moving to the US was down to knowing Joe DiMaggio was once married to Marilyn Monroe and he was mentioned in a Simon and Garfunkel song. I've picked up a lot in 22 years here but must admit my interest level has waned.
    Did you know that in that song Joe DiMaggio was a sub for Mickey Mantle?

All to do with Joe DiMaggio scanning better in the song

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast