+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: *Knee jerk*

Quote Originally Posted by Mapperleypie View Post
    If with half a dozen games left we are out of the running for the title that would put us at least 18 points off top spot - that would mean a truly inept set of results over the next 15/16 games. With that track record why would anyone give him any longer? You would have your replacement lined up and set the wheels in motion - I suspect the owners already do have a number of people in mind.

I don't dislike Ardley at all but it's a results game and if you combine the results under Ardley with the performances it's not a pretty picture when you consider the relative resources at his disposal.
    If we were 18 points behind then the chances wouldn't be remote as you said it would be impossible.

If automatic is looking very unlikely yet playoffs are looking very likely, which could easily be the case you would be crazy to sack the manager with the play offs on the horizon. In that scenario it's likely the form would continue to be top 3-6th hence the play off spot and definitely not sackable.

One thing I do agree on is they should and probably do have a shortlist lined up which should always be the case instead of the knee jerk reactions and then panic as we saw under the stewardship of Trew and Hardy.

Quote Originally Posted by BigFatPie View Post
    Chesterfield have done what Lincoln did with the Cowleys and gone and pinched a manager from an overachieving smaller club. I’ve always maintained that to be successful in this league, maybe more than any other, you need a manager who knows it well, and the non league scene more generally.

When Ardley does get shown the door, hopefully sooner rather than later, I would hope our evidence based, stats based owners will go down a similar route. There are good non league managers, far better qualified than Ardley, who would give their right nad for a chance at a club the size of Notts.
    Agree with all of that.

Quote Originally Posted by HUCKNALLPIE View Post
    And just for fun. If we were able to get promoted (which I sincerely hope we do) what would be the aim? I’d say top 7. We’d still probably have a top 8-10 budget and would be one of the biggest clubs in that division. I’m guessing about 50% of our fans would say top 7, 50% mid table, and Ardley would probably be happy with 3rd bottom.
    I would say top half would be a reasonable target. Although if Ardley was still in charge, I would probably be happy with 3rd bottom!

Quote Originally Posted by Elite_Pie View Post
    Ardley will be here for the rest of the season at least.

We had a lot in our favour, but I can't see us taking advantage.
    I'm not so sure. If the results remain below what's needed for e a period of six or seven games I think they'll make a move.
    I'm pro Ardley overall but he's pushing his luck with continual poor performances that are now leading to points per game dropping below what's necessary.

Quote Originally Posted by BigFatPie View Post
    Chesterfield have done what Lincoln did with the Cowleys and gone and pinched a manager from an overachieving smaller club. I’ve always maintained that to be successful in this league, maybe more than any other, you need a manager who knows it well, and the non league scene more generally.

When Ardley does get shown the door, hopefully sooner rather than later, I would hope our evidence based, stats based owners will go down a similar route. There are good non league managers, far better qualified than Ardley, who would give their right nad for a chance at a club the size of Notts.
    Gloucester are big spenders with ambition so it's not a particularly fair comparison with the Cowleys. He's doing well at the moment but many new managers start well for fif**** games or so.
    Not that Ardley's covering himself in glory at the moment.

Quote Originally Posted by laddo View Post
    If we were 18 points behind then the chances wouldn't be remote as you said it would be impossible.

If automatic is looking very unlikely yet playoffs are looking very likely, which could easily be the case you would be crazy to sack the manager with the play offs on the horizon. In that scenario it's likely the form would continue to be top 3-6th hence the play off spot and definitely not sackable.

One thing I do agree on is they should and probably do have a shortlist lined up which should always be the case instead of the knee jerk reactions and then panic as we saw under the stewardship of Trew and Hardy.
    Well the knee jerk reactions by trew and Hardy were down to there lack of financial resources, once they had spent more than they could afford, they acted like a gambler doubling up,
    However if trew or Hardy due to their financial limits, had taken a more steady approach, would supporters have been happy with top half of league 2
    Whether we like it or not, we have to accept that unless we get a rich owner, the days of Notts being in the top 2 tiers is over, we are a little club, and our level is probably league 1 at best

Quote Originally Posted by Elite_Pie View Post
    Ardley will be here for the rest of the season at least.
    I'm sure that will be the case, but I think it's telling that there has been no talk whatsoever yet about contract extensions, when if owners are fully confident in a manager they will usually try to tie them down to a new contract well before an existing one expires.

If we win promotion and the FA Trophy then I think Ardley will be virtually guaranteed a new deal. If we win the FA Trophy and miss promotion in the play-offs then that might still be enough in the owners' eyes to justify giving him at least an extra year and another chance if the salary is right, but if we miss out on both I'd be surprised if Ardley was still here next season.

As I've always said though, I respect the new owners and what they've done to stabilise the club, and I'm willing to back their judgement on the manager whatever they decide, because they seem to be well-grounded people who don't make short-term, emotional decisions like some of their predecessors did. And that's a good thing.

The strange thing for me last night was that I could accept the first half more than the second. I think they were bunch of players happy about still playing, got a great goal then played out of their skins, there is absolutely no way they are playing like that every week. We managed to get a grip for the last 10 mins and obviously luck was shining on us to go in 2-1 up.
    The fact we started the second half reasonably well and they had gone down a couple of levels was an invitation to get another and put it to bed, but obviously we didn’t. I think we’re crying out for another CF of real quality but can’t see it happening with us having 4 and more pressing is a CB. I get a feeling both CBs were carrying niggles last night. On top of that LB currently looks a problem now too.
    It does feel like a crossroads at the moment, can’t see Ardley getting sacked so probably needs a rally call internally with coaching staff and players.

I have been of the opinion that yeah he goes at the end of the season if he doesn't get us up ( Which he won't because he's not good enough) but I am now of the opinion that we should get rid immediately. We do have the personnel to challenge and its ONLY half way through the season. We are not going to go down and Ardley is not going to take us up. Next season there is no parachute payment. It's not a sh!t or bust scenario but with a decent appointment promotion is still a distinct possibility and the pay off for Ardley will only be a few months not years. Could easily end up being more profitable if we regain our EFL status. Ardley has proved his style over 100 games and it is NOT going to change. He is frankly the last man I would want in charge right now as his powers of motivation to dig us out of our hole are simply non existent. We only did ok last season as we retained a number of big earning players under contract who were way way too good for this division, Enzio got us out of trouble with a number of worldies and Roberts was on fire. Boy oh boy have we missed him, but Ardley will no doubt turn him into a centreback anyway.

Excellent thread to date.

Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast