+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 91011

Thread: *Knee jerk*

Quote Originally Posted by BigFatPie View Post
    Well yeah after the informational diarrhoea of the previous owner, no one will complain about the more taciturn approach.

I don’t think it’s too much to ask to know whether the manager is out of contract at the end of the season, though I’m not sure if it’s the sort of question (our) local journalists ask.
    I think it could cause a revolt of Fullertonesque proportions if the answer to his contract question was 6 years..!
    I feel sick at the thought of it.!

Quote Originally Posted by jackal2 View Post
    We certainly don't get the blow-by-blow account of signings, contracts and events that we used to get from Alan Hardy on Twitter.

The current owners are much lower profile and the club in general seems much more discerning about what information it releases, when and how. They tend to comment when there's a change to an existing situation or an event to report, and they generally use the proper channels. I'd say that's a good thing, as long as you believe the guys at the top have the club's best interests at heart, and I believe they do.

Silence becomes worrying if you think your owners are up to something naughty, but the Reedtz brothers seem to be a dependable lot who let the drama (good and bad) stay on the pitch. Ardley may or may not be the man who eventually gets the club rolling forward again in due course, but the underlying fundamentals of the club seem much better, which will give the right manager every chance, even if that turns out to a different one to current incumbent.
    I think the best owners are like the best referees, generally not seen and not heard unless they really need to be.

We know more than anyone as we have had our fair share of social media / publicly active owners and it's not ended well.

It's refreshing that we have owners who are low profile and have installed a very professional, calm and measured approach to running the club.

Quote Originally Posted by MAD_MAGPIE View Post
    I think the best owners are like the best referees, generally not seen and not heard unless they really need to be.

We know more than anyone as we have had our fair share of social media / publicly active owners and it's not ended well.

It's refreshing that we have owners who are low profile and have installed a very professional, calm and measured approach to running the club.
    I must admit currently the owners seem very good, but tbh all owners were good to start with, its only at their end of there tenure , when they can be accurately judged

Quote Originally Posted by Davy500 View Post
    I must admit currently the owners seem very good, but tbh all owners were good to start with, its only at their end of there tenure , when they can be accurately judged
    I believe Ray Trew and Alan Hardy both started out with good intentions for the club, but one of their weaknesses was that they both wanted to be at the centre of the "story", which is a nice place to be when things are going well, but a very hostile place to be when things go badly. I don't think either of them really calculated that by putting themselves in the foreground, especially on social media, they would become the lightning rod for all the anger and dissatisfaction when things went wrong, and this in turn soured their relationship with the club and its supporters to the point of being irreparable.

The Reedtz brothers seem to be a different entity. They appear to be football geeks (in the politest sense, I'm one myself!) and their desire to own a football club seems to be driven primarily by that love of football rather than any desire for fame, adulation and love. In fact, they seem to favour a deliberately low profile, leaving the stage to the footballers themselves. They have also kept their promises and ambition statements very modest and realistic, compared with some of hyperbole used by their predecessors. As such, they're less likely to become the focus of intense criticism based on wild, unfulfilled promises, and thereby less likely to go through a process where the relationship with the fans sours to the degree it did with Trew and Hardy.

I hope that's the case anyway. These guys simply seem to want to run the club sensibly, invest sustainably, and patiently wait to see where it takes us. After many years of the 'boom and bust' rollercoaster, this more 'zen' approach is something of a relief, even if it means we make slow rather than spectacular progress.
    Last edited by jackal2; 07-03-2021 at 01:46 PM.

Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 91011