+ Visit Aberdeen FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Squad Now vs. Squad Then

Squad Now vs. Squad Then

Just had a thought when replying to the Derek McInnes thread - my instinct is that we are at a higher level now than when McInnes joined so it should be easier / a base requirement for a new manager to match his achievements in his first couple of seasons. But is that actually right in terms of our playing squad?

McInnes came in and had this squad of senior players:

GK
    Jamie Langfield

DF
    Joe Shaughnessy
    Clark Robertson
    Russell Anderson
    Andrew Considine
    Mark Reynolds

MID
    Jonny Hayes
    Peter Pawlett
    Nicky Low
    Ryan Jack
    Cammy Smith

FW
    Niall McGinn
    Scott Vernon
    Josh Magennis

He added to this by signing for the first team (initially):

Nicky Weaver
    Michael Hector (loan)
    Willo Flood
    Barry Robson
    Gregg Wylde
    Calvin Zola

The new gaffer will come into these players contracted for next season:

GK
    Joe Lewis

DF
    Andrew Considine
    Ross McCrorie

MID
    Dean Campbell
    Lewis Ferguson
    Dylan McGeouch
    Ryan Hedges
    Matty Kennedy
    Jonny Hayes
    Funso Ojo?

FW

Not including loans, I think our expiring contracts (who might yet stay) are:

Tommie Hoban
    Ash Taylor
    Michael Devlin
    Greg Leigh
    Shay Logan
    Niall McGinn
    Connor McLennan
    Bruce Anderson

I am not sure how to categorise Ronny Hernandez (one for the accountants...)

This could all be totally wrong and it is hard to compare with benefit of hindsight (and players ages, etc.) but purely based on squad ability, I'd say McInnes inherited a significantly better squad than he leaves? And with easier gaps to fill (i.e. he clearly needed to sign central midfielders)

Just wanted to open the debate!

Quote Originally Posted by ItzMillerTime_Dons View Post
    Just had a thought when replying to the Derek McInnes thread - my instinct is that we are at a higher level now than when McInnes joined so it should be easier / a base requirement for a new manager to match his achievements in his first couple of seasons. But is that actually right in terms of our playing squad?

McInnes came in and had this squad of senior players:

GK
    Jamie Langfield

DF
    Joe Shaughnessy
    Clark Robertson
    Russell Anderson
    Andrew Considine
    Mark Reynolds

MID
    Jonny Hayes
    Peter Pawlett
    Nicky Low
    Ryan Jack
    Cammy Smith

FW
    Niall McGinn
    Scott Vernon
    Josh Magennis

He added to this by signing for the first team (initially):

Nicky Weaver
    Michael Hector (loan)
    Willo Flood
    Barry Robson
    Gregg Wylde
    Calvin Zola

The new gaffer will come into these players contracted for next season:

GK
    Joe Lewis

DF
    Andrew Considine
    Ross McCrorie

MID
    Dean Campbell
    Lewis Ferguson
    Dylan McGeouch
    Ryan Hedges
    Matty Kennedy
    Jonny Hayes
    Funso Ojo?

FW

Not including loans, I think our expiring contracts (who might yet stay) are:

Tommie Hoban
    Ash Taylor
    Michael Devlin
    Greg Leigh
    Shay Logan
    Niall McGinn
    Connor McLennan
    Bruce Anderson

I am not sure how to categorise Ronny Hernandez (one for the accountants...)

This could all be totally wrong and it is hard to compare with benefit of hindsight (and players ages, etc.) but purely based on squad ability, I'd say McInnes inherited a significantly better squad than he leaves? And with easier gaps to fill (i.e. he clearly needed to sign central midfielders)

Just wanted to open the debate!

I tend to agree. Slightly harder job finding decent new signings too . As there are more players in the game for them now ? ( e.g. Jack Ross at Hibs )

As Dek always worked two windows ahead , it would be interesting to see who was /is on the list of possible signings ?

We really need to start going for more of the promising Scots younger players , before they get snaffled up to sit on the bench at the cheeks ? And try harder to keep our own talent ?

Another thing. How come we don't already have a decent young Centre half in our reserve/,youth/whitever squads to step in when McKenna left ? Doesnt seem like we ever replaced him on the conveyer belt !!

That of course is the question that most needs to be asked.

I think the new manager will have even less than the players you suggest. I think Ferguson will go if a decent bid comes in for him in the summer (which I think it will) - he was close with McInnes and I think he'll feel the time is right to move now. I think Hedges might also move on if an offer comes in for him. We'll take the money in while we can to give the new boss a bid of a fund to bring new bodies in. I think Ojo will be released. And off those out of contract I think Hoban will get other offers and leave, Taylor, Devlin, Leigh, Logan, McGinn will all be let go to free up wages for a new manager to bring others in. I'm unsure about McLennan and Anderson, maybe they'll get new 1 year deals depending on who the new boss is.

GK
    Joe Lewis

DF
    Andrew Considine
    Ross McCrorie

MID
    Dean Campbell
    Dylan McGeouch
    Matty Kennedy
    Jonny Hayes
    Connor McLennan

FW
    Bruce Anderson

Quote Originally Posted by Don_Corleone View Post
    I think the new manager will have even less than the players you suggest. I think Ferguson will go if a decent bid comes in for him in the summer (which I think it will) - he was close with McInnes and I think he'll feel the time is right to move now. I think Hedges might also move on if an offer comes in for him. We'll take the money in while we can to give the new boss a bid of a fund to bring new bodies in. I think Ojo will be released. And off those out of contract I think Hoban will get other offers and leave, Taylor, Devlin, Leigh, Logan, McGinn will all be let go to free up wages for a new manager to bring others in. I'm unsure about McLennan and Anderson, maybe they'll get new 1 year deals depending on who the new boss is.

GK
    Joe Lewis

DF
    Andrew Considine
    Ross McCrorie

MID
    Dean Campbell
    Dylan McGeouch
    Matty Kennedy
    Jonny Hayes
    Connor McLennan

FW
    Bruce Anderson
    Conor McLennan signed a new deal weeks ago.

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.p...deen-stay/amp/

Groningen:

Langfield

Anderson
    Reynolds
    Considine
    Logan

Flood
    Jack

Hayes
    Pawlett
    McGinn
    Rooney

Versus Limassol:

Lewis

Logan
    Reynolds
    Considine

O'Connor
    Shinnie

GMS
    Stewart
    McLean
    Christie

Stockley

On paper I'd say the Limassol team looks stronger but the squad gelled a lot better at Groningen.

Hayes and McGinn when they were at their peak were better than any other player we've had for years.

Quote Originally Posted by Aldo1983 View Post
    Hayes and McGinn when they were at their peak were better than any other player we've had for years.
    Agreed. I said at the time when we had the Irish trio (Rooney was the finishing touch to Hayes and McGinn) that was as good a forward line since ‘83.

Quote Originally Posted by Aldo1983 View Post
    Pity they both buggered off at their peaks and weren’t the same when they came back with their tails between their legs

Quote Originally Posted by pieandbovrilman View Post
    Pity they both buggered off at their peaks and weren’t the same when they came back with their tails between their legs
    They were entitled to leave, and left on fairly good terms. What was criminal was McInnes taking them back.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast