+ Visit Rotherham United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Some of the things our club does dunt make sense

I think the difference was that Stancliffe and others played in the third division which wasn’t great

Quote Originally Posted by Grist_To_The_Mill View Post
    Yes, hence my query about whether it’s worth having an academy.

They are expensive things to run and with no guarantee of success in finding a useful player.

We have Wiles but that’s about it, not much of a return on the investment
    My questionmark against what you say is this. Sport is primarily about player development. We have a responsibility to the broader sport. I know its a bit of a corinthian attitude. But if all clubs took your attitude the sport will die.

Quote Originally Posted by WanChaiMiller View Post
    Im not saying Roly does not have the right to post. However, if we want a proper discussion he needs to put up his scouting report of Cooper. My guess is that he has not seen him play let alone train.

My comment was that the club will have done the detailed research into the player. They get reports and videos of all loanees after every game (apparently). Their conclusion is that Cooper is not ready for the bench at Championship level. His medium term development is best served with a further loan spell at a National League club.

Rolys first post paints a picture that our management are bumbling idiots who blunder forward without thought. That he (Roly) is applying thoughtful sanity to proceeding. Im not running the 'in Warne we trust' line. Im saying we must at some point acknowledge the qualities we have at this club.

By the way Paul Davies (twitter) reports some handy insight. He says the club think Cooper has talent but not is ready for the match day squad yet.

For respectful reasoned debate what has Roly seen in the player to contradict that opinion?
    I have seen him a few times for the reserves a couple of years ago. He looked a good prospect then. He will have developed furthwr since then Wanchai. I also watched Wiles at a similar time. I didn't think Wiles was any more a championship playuer then than Cooper but he is playing regularly in the championship now. i am not saying I know more than Warne or that he is a bumbling fool all I am saying is that as a last resort back up when we have a depleted squad in defence he would be handy to have on the bench. I am not saying we should start him but if we ever come to the point that we have no defenders fit at all surely we would have to consider starting him.

Jiust to add I liked the look of HUll even more and arguably he could be on the bench but I dunno whats happened to him.

No am I not qualified to judge if a player is good enough to play in the championship but I have watched the millers more years than you and have seen some younger players than Cooper do very well in the second tier at least as fill ins.

As regards Warne, of course he knows best but we are all hands to the pumps now to stay up we need every man available and because of his age he does not have to be in the 25 man squad. Once we get to the end of the season by all means loan him out again but now is not the time for the club. What harm would it do player and club keeping him the few months now till the end of the season as emergency cover? And one or two are moaning the fixture list we have left is going to lead to more injuries.

By the way if we had not let tilt go on loan this would not have been such an issue. Was that a mistake by the club?

GM, Stancliffe did very well in the second tier as a young lad and I would argue that there were some good teams in the old third div when we got up that year.
    Last edited by rolymiller; 06-03-2021 at 11:06 AM.

I will reiterate again by the way I love Warney to bits but he and the club are not beyond criticism even from a humble fan.

Quote Originally Posted by WanChaiMiller View Post
    My questionmark against what you say is this. Sport is primarily about player development. We have a responsibility to the broader sport. I know its a bit of a corinthian attitude. But if all clubs took your attitude the sport will die.
    Perhaps but if the club goes bust then it wouldn't have achieved anything

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345