Quote Originally Posted by Frigiliana Pie 1 View Post
Anyone remember this one?

It was played on 6 March 1971 at Boundary Park. Both teams were going hard for promotion with, if I remember correctly, Notts leading by a few points.

I was in my first year at Sheffield Uni, sharing a room with an Oldham supporter. He’d been sent an article from their local paper previewing the match, which claimed that Notts were “working class leaders” of Division 4 and were reliant on the big boot up the park to Tony Hateley. Oldham, by contrast, played skilful pleasing football apparently.

We went across the Pennines to the match with a Chelsea fan. Notts were brilliant that day - a convincing 3-1 win with 2 goals from Hateley and one from Les Bradd. It was still a few weeks before promotion and the championship were mathematically certain, but I believe that was the day we really clinched it. The attendance was 17,060.

We got back to Sheffield and my mate solemnly removed the newspaper article which he’d pinned to the notice board. It didn’t reappear. At least he had the consolation that Oldham also went up that season, 10 points behind Notts.

Notts team: Watling, Brindley, Needham, Stubbs, Worthington, Jones, Masson, Nixon (Barker), Bradd, Hateley, Crickmore (4-2-4 formation)
Pleased to read it. Cheers.