+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 50 years ago - Oldham 1 Notts County 3

50 years ago - Oldham 1 Notts County 3

Anyone remember this one?

It was played on 6 March 1971 at Boundary Park. Both teams were going hard for promotion with, if I remember correctly, Notts leading by a few points.

I was in my first year at Sheffield Uni, sharing a room with an Oldham supporter. He’d been sent an article from their local paper previewing the match, which claimed that Notts were “working class leaders” of Division 4 and were reliant on the big boot up the park to Tony Hateley. Oldham, by contrast, played skilful pleasing football apparently.

We went across the Pennines to the match with a Chelsea fan. Notts were brilliant that day - a convincing 3-1 win with 2 goals from Hateley and one from Les Bradd. It was still a few weeks before promotion and the championship were mathematically certain, but I believe that was the day we really clinched it. The attendance was 17,060.

We got back to Sheffield and my mate solemnly removed the newspaper article which he’d pinned to the notice board. It didn’t reappear. At least he had the consolation that Oldham also went up that season, 10 points behind Notts.

Notts team: Watling, Brindley, Needham, Stubbs, Worthington, Jones, Masson, Nixon (Barker), Bradd, Hateley, Crickmore (4-2-4 formation)

Quote Originally Posted by Frigiliana Pie 1 View Post
    Anyone remember this one?

It was played on 6 March 1971 at Boundary Park. Both teams were going hard for promotion with, if I remember correctly, Notts leading by a few points.

I was in my first year at Sheffield Uni, sharing a room with an Oldham supporter. He’d been sent an article from their local paper previewing the match, which claimed that Notts were “working class leaders” of Division 4 and were reliant on the big boot up the park to Tony Hateley. Oldham, by contrast, played skilful pleasing football apparently.

We went across the Pennines to the match with a Chelsea fan. Notts were brilliant that day - a convincing 3-1 win with 2 goals from Hateley and one from Les Bradd. It was still a few weeks before promotion and the championship were mathematically certain, but I believe that was the day we really clinched it. The attendance was 17,060.

We got back to Sheffield and my mate solemnly removed the newspaper article which he’d pinned to the notice board. It didn’t reappear. At least he had the consolation that Oldham also went up that season, 10 points behind Notts.

Notts team: Watling, Brindley, Needham, Stubbs, Worthington, Jones, Masson, Nixon (Barker), Bradd, Hateley, Crickmore (4-2-4 formation)
    A little bit before my time. Thanks for sharing, love hearing people’s stories and memories like this.

I was there for that match. I was 15 years old & went to lots of away games that season, usually on the supporters club bus (run by Bill Reynolds) Different times..........

I was there too.
    I was 20 years old and my Uncle (a lifelong Notts supporter) my cousin and I went to nearly all Notts games that season home and away.
    We went on the charter train to lots of games but I think my Uncle drove us to this one.
    I started following Notts in the old 4th Division in 1959 and had been starved of success until this season. Notts had two speedy wingers Charlie Crickmore and Jon Nixon and both could skin the full back and deliver a killer cross for either big Tony or big Les to nod home. For corners Brian Stubbs would usually join the fray and frequently score with a bullet header.
    Notts finished as champions with Tony Hateley top scorer on 23 goals. Happy days indeed.

We had less materially but so much more, my first game was 3 2 home to Southampton 74 and it was on star soccer the following day, I can still name the team without looking it up.
    McManus Brindley OBrien Masson Needham Stubbs Randall Probert Bradd Mann Scanlon , happy days.
    Walking from Victoria bus station down the back of narrow Marsh, across the railway bridge. The smell of redmane and Todd's with the cotton football shirts shorts, wood and leather, Coleman's northern soul night on Monday evenings where I had a fight with a lad from a year above me outside, he was a Chelsea fan and hated Notts (and me) half the club emptied and formed a circle, he must have thought it was going to be glorious for him, it turned out completely the opposite, still remember his surname is Daft, how appropriate.

I remember going to that game as well. I think apart from the two goals Tony Hateley scored he had one disallowed. It was a top-of-the-table clash as Notts were top and Oldham second prior to the game, with our arch rivals in those days, Bournemouth, third.

The following year it was Tony Hateley who scored the winner a couple of minutes before the end. It was the game Steve Carter made his Notts debut. We were then second to Aston Villa with a couple of games in hand I think. Two successive promotions weren't to be though, as we eventually finished fourth. I think that was the year when me and a mate had a candle lit lunch at a cafe on the way to the game, as there'd been a power cut!

The Guardian at the time reported 'The league's two highest scoring sides roared into continual attack action. As play rushed into one half, it was as if an invisible rubber band caught it and hurled it back to the other direction, both sides played as if midfields were going out of fashion. Oldham lost because of County's cold blooded use of the offside trap and because they lacked the finishing instinct which Hateley brought to the leaders.' Notts led 2-0 before Oldham pulled a goal back, Hateley's 2nd goal sealed the victory.

Oldham were wearing orange in those days with blue shorts. We were already six points clear of them clear going into the game (11 clear of 5th place with only 2 for a win), Northampton had moved into 2nd after winning on the Friday night.
    Oddly enough, of the 7 games we lost that season (all away and by the odd goal) five of them were at sides who ended up in the bottom seven!

More threads like this one please folks, just wonderful.

I was 13 and dad wouldn’t take me to the game - he did take me to every home game that season.

Happy days

RIP Dad you wouldn’t have been happy watching this shower.

Quote Originally Posted by upthemaggies View Post
    Northampton had moved into 2nd after winning on the Friday night.
    Interesting that. The Football Post that day said 'second-in-the-table Oldham' and the league table after Notts victory showed Oldham above Northampton. They were on goal difference but in 1970/71 goal average was used. It was some years later this was changed to goal difference. Were the Football Post ahead of their time? Or could they just not work out goal averages?

It confirms Hateley had a goal disallowed as well!

Name:  Oldham V Notts 1971.jpg
Views: 279
Size:  101.0 KB

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast