+ Visit West Bromwich Albion FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: 1% Pay Rise to the NHS

Quote Originally Posted by Albionic68 View Post
    An MP's basic salary was £81,932 last year (figure courtesy of the BBC; expenses, allowances and any staffing costs are on top of this).

Their pay increases are worked out using a formula which takes public sector pay increases into account. Using this formula MP's were inline for a £3,000 pay for 2021.

However, this year's prospective pay rise was vetoed last year. I have no idea when they're due another pay review but I am of the opinion that my MP, his wife (also an MP) and his son (yes, also an MP) are on one hell of a screw.

For the record I wouldn't trust my MP to change a lightbulb never mind a surgical dressing.
    That is interesting Albionic and glad you shared those figures. Taking this even further, some questions id love to put to all of these MPs is why should they need to have a body to review their pay, when (from what it looks like) pay reviews for nurses are never taken further? It absolutely stinks.
    Frontline staff during this pandemic should be awarded pay rises. Perhaps it’s some agenda to push things into private control. Who knows? I can see it though, the outcome of any pandemic enquiry will say the nhs wasn’t capable of handling it and they need to cut further and redistribute services to private care.

Quote Originally Posted by baggieal View Post
    Could not agree more Dave with your post and the ones from Regis! MP'S therefore should NOT get more than the paltry 1%. Council tax should not rise more than 1%
    Absolutely Al, it is wrong on so many levels not to at least award frontline staff. I see it is stated 1.5M of NHS staff.. but what percentage of that is frontline nurses and frontline support staff? it is this percentage that needs their pay sorted, not a consultant or nhs pen pusher. Your average nhs office based worker won’t need a pay rise as they’ll no doubt made considerable savings working from home. The least the gov could have done is phase in this pay rise or set out in future, not a complete outright no. As Phil said, they’ll no doubt backtrack on this and make themselves look incompetent again. I personally think someone like Boris isn’t making this call, and it’s coming from older senior tories. I think Boris does care but he’s got a battle on his hands.

Why they are funding a new media centre costing millions is beyond me.. why don’t we return all MPs into parliament (vaccinated) and shows us the work they should be doing? I still think they are getting away with so much on this.

Maybe MP’s pay rises should be ( by law ) tied to whatever the average Public Sector pay rise is each year or link it to exactly match NHS rises.

I’m sure we could all agree that would be a very equitable way of doing it and may well see NHS staff getting bigger annual rises!?

As far as GP’s are concerned I’d be giving them nothing.

My own local surgery is one of many I’ve heard about during Covid where the GP’s have been virtually AWOL and hiding behind the practice nurses.

The practice nurses have been pushed out to do the face to face consultations whilst the GP’s have been doing phone consultations and hiding in cupboards at all the practices in our area.

I raised this with our practice nurse, to say she was scathing about the GP’s is putting it mildly.......”We’re braver than that lot” she remarked.

NHS doctors have been real heroes whilst GP’s have been a disgrace in my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by boingy View Post
    I had my jab on Friday and pointed to the doctor and said "Get a good pay rise!" and he disagreed with me. He said we are just doing our job and shouldn't be paid more than anyone else. Its fine he said. So there you are. There's always another way of looking at things.
    When you do a job for the right reasons, for ethics, its never just about the money.
    I'm personally more than happy to see health workers get more money but how do they feel?

My doctor would say the same as it would not be professional to say anything else. I have friends though who are doctors and consultants and are disgusted with the 1%. The one who is a consultant simply said - I have been working 12 to 15 hour shifts so maybe with the 1% - I will just work my set hours and no extra.

Do you blame him - I don't! How many others would work extra hours for free!!! That's what will happen - just the contracted hours laid down and continue to be 100% professional but not go over and beyond..............

Quote Originally Posted by mickd1961 View Post
    Maybe MP’s pay rises should be ( by law ) tied to whatever the average Public Sector pay rise is each year or link it to exactly match NHS rises.

I’m sure we could all agree that would be a very equitable way of doing it and may well see NHS staff getting bigger annual rises!?

As far as GP’s are concerned I’d be giving them nothing.

My own local surgery is one of many I’ve heard about during Covid where the GP’s have been virtually AWOL and hiding behind the practice nurses.

The practice nurses have been pushed out to do the face to face consultations whilst the GP’s have been doing phone consultations and hiding in cupboards at all the practices in our area.

I raised this with our practice nurse, to say she was scathing about the GP’s is putting it mildly.......”We’re braver than that lot” she remarked.

NHS doctors have been real heroes whilst GP’s have been a disgrace in my opinion.
    This is one of the issues my wife’s team face Mick, GP’s are hiding away, it’s really hard for them to get a GP from behind their desks to actually see patients, this leaves a huge additional burden on them, I know of one patient who ended up having end of life care who could have been saved had he been able to see his GP early in the pandemic. I am positive we will see a higher spike in cancer deaths due to this ivory tower mentality many GP’s have taken since last March.

Quote Originally Posted by baggiematt View Post
    To be honest, I agree with the 1% pay rise even though I'm an NHS employee myself. It's been the one industry where staff have been able to thrive financially whilst all others are struggling. Overtime and higher rates of pay have been the norm for a lot of people in the NHS for the last year. I appreciate it feels like a slap in the face for those that have put a big shift in but we don't assign pay by sympathy, credit or how much we value something; it's entirely market driven.

People forget that the NHS employs 1.4 million and it's paid for almost entirely out of the public purse. A further 1% increase would be used as money that should be used to help those who will be out of work, businesses that are failing and the mental health crisis throughout the year.

The unions are arguing people will leave over this, where the heck do they think they will go in this market?
    What a well thought out and more importantly a magnanimous post Matt. I am all for health workers getting an increase in pay, but you have to look at the bigger picture at this time, a time when nationally, many countries are in dire straights.

It is so easy to go with your heart but to actually deal with the mathematical and financial issues which would, without doubt, have repercussions else where this is not right at this time.

Matt you are a credit to your profession an absolute credit bar none.

Quote Originally Posted by DaveP67 is back! View Post
    This is one of the issues my wife’s team face Mick, GP’s are hiding away, it’s really hard for them to get a GP from behind their desks to actually see patients, this leaves a huge additional burden on them, I know of one patient who ended up having end of life care who could have been saved had he been able to see his GP early in the pandemic. I am positive we will see a higher spike in cancer deaths due to this ivory tower mentality many GP’s have taken since last March.

I know a few doctors as friends and none of them are happy with the paltry 1%. One consultant has actually said I have been working 12 to 15 hour shifts because I wanted too - I will remain professional of course but with this paltry pay increase I will now do my set hours! Do you blame him! Would many others work 4/5 hours for free for the love of it! Is Fat Sam at West Brom for the love when millions in pay at the England job was not quite enough for the chap!

We have one or two who talk about pulling together as a country/nationality what bollox! Perhaps they have been helping keeping people alive too for 12 months whilst the majority sit on their fat arses on furlough or would not take more than a 1% pay rise themselves!

Let’s hear the Government say they won’t accept more than a 1% pay rise - will they hell!!! In summary hero’s work for 12 months whilst the majority enjoy furlough and this 1% won’t even cover council tax rises and the other bills!

No wonder the NHS is crumbling! Let medical centres go private - many would pay £50 to £100 for a walk in centre to get medication or for a doctor to assess minor injuries 7 days a week! Proof of the pudding vets are in Pets at Home 7 days a week and you can seek urgent medical attention for an animal and people pay!! What’s the difference!

Vaccines should have been sold too - many would have been happy to pay up to £100 to take the pressure and cost from the NHS! It’s not rocket science! Too much greed around!! That lottery winner who won millions still collected his state pension - what a W anker! The country should look at the money thrown away but reward properly those that contribute!
    Last edited by baggieal; 06-03-2021 at 08:48 PM.

My heart goes out to frontline nursing staff and hospital doctors who are dealing with Covid & associated deaths every day, there has to be a large price to pay in terms of mental health which cannot be fixed by a pay rise so perhaps the debate should be around whether their pay is fair. They have benefitted financially too from generous NHS workers discounts on food and other goods & services; what I find abhorrent is the venomous trolling individuals get on social media as though the state of the NHS is their own fault.

I agree entirely with what has been said about GP's, who pulled up the drawbridge at the first sign of trouble a year ago and are now taking the kudos for their vaccination efforts. They are not doing this for free, there's a very decent fee per vaccine and the work is easy enough, the volunteers and admin. staff are the ones grafting behind the scenes to make it so.

Great thread fellas.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)