+ Visit Crewe Alexandra FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Lincoln

Lincoln

So, historically, Sunderland are the big team but for me Lincoln are the ones to fear. They are, by far, the most capable team we've played against and have beaten us twice already without us really causing them a great deal of problems. So , third time lucky or another football lesson? There is a third alternative, a close run thing that could be a draw or narrow win for them. However, true to my nature, I'm going for the Portsmouth/Gillingham option. We DO look better at the back but still lost concentration enough to allow Sunderland two free shots at goal. It will also rely heavily on whether we continue with the recent set up or revert back to the slow and deep possession game. The latter certainly benefits Lincoln who were supremely well organised and would possibly pin us in our own half until (probably) Beckles gave the ball away in front of goal.
    Listening to the Railwaymen podcast the other night, the guest Lincoln fan suggested that their treatment room is much worse than ours. It has also been suggested that the Imps are slow starters and with our recent starts catching opposition teams out (but not scoring!) this could be to the Alex's advantage.
    Who is going to be fit and available? Well, on his 'press' interview DA said that Daniels and Murphy were, "Okay." Whether this means they are available OR, indeed, will play, is yet to be seen. Perhaps Murphy and Evans could job share . I'm going to upset Lukcour by suggesting that Lowery should play. This is because he hasn't had a sustained run in the team and needs to be up to scratch in terms of his contribution, which at the moment doesn't compare with last season. I would also go Powell on the left, up front. Walker's goal may be what he needs to get himself going and I think Powell, on the left, showed more of his old self so perhaps Walker can come on on the right side in the second half. If Daniels is fully fit, then he should play and the rest of the back four picks itself. Clearly, Mandron and Porter should start. Mandron has now added assists to his game on top of everything and Porter can do any scoring within 6 yards of the goal. I worry about Richards in goal. He hasn't dropped many real clangers but he's been well protected (except against Sunderland and for Blackpool's goal) and hasn't had a great deal to do. If any team does get in a range of shots on target, I trust him less than I do Will.
    Prediction: I have already signalled defeat and I'm going for 3-1 to the Imps.

Lincoln seem to be on a poor run at the moment- injuries or just the season catching up on them. Looking on their forums everything seems doom and gloom. Fleetwood apparently played them off the park last time out. Set up nicely for the visit of the Alex. Jonah maybe (hopefully) on the bench again after injury. I'm going to go against my usual pessimism and predict a 2-1 win (Mandron and Porter to score).
    I thinks Richards has been Ok, except his distribution. I just wish he would pass the ball to somebody else than Beckles occasionally, especially in the later stages when the opposition press.

It’s true that Lincoln’s standards have slipped recently but they remain a well organised side who may be feeling the effects of a successful run in the Papa John’s as well as their League matches - as we’ve been saying these things catch up with you, especially if the same players have been turning out every week, like Wintle.

I’ve been quite encouraged by our performances over the past month, even the matches where we lost (Swindon) or drew (Sunderland) we were the better side. As Dave has been saying, we have decent players who can adapt to different formations. I suspect we will stick to 4-4-2 on Saturday as it’s worked recently, 4-3-3 didn’t work against Lincoln earlier this season but we can easily revert to that as the players know it well. As to who plays, same back 4 assuming DD is fit, Murphy back (again if fit) to partner Wintle if not Lowery has to play for his energy and passing ability if nothing else. And let’s not carp about how it’s not always evident, but we need someone who can make the killer pass - and he does seem to be able to locate Porter better than most! I’d be surprised if Charlie doesn’t start, for the same reason, and the Kirk - Pixie partnership has to be one of the best in this division. Mandron and Ports pick themselves, although Walker might get on earlier this time.

As to the keeper I have always had reservations about Richards. To be fair he has been pretty solid and stopped everything he should, but he got away with some right old rickets against Stanley and still doesn’t look to have a great defensive understanding with Beckles, despite playing every game with him! And don’t get me started on his kicking. However, until he plays badly I guess he’ll start, although Will hardly did anything wrong before he was dropped. There’s not a lot between them, but I prefer Will and will be glad to get him back in the starting line up.

Another draw I think, 1-1 with Mandron getting the goal he so richly deserves.

I missed most of the game. I-follow wouldn't connect for the first ten minutes. Then at half-time someone called and kept me there until full-time. So, what I saw was a good game that was generally played at pace. However, Lincoln were more efficient with the ball and players getting forward quickly. There was more movement from the Alex than usual but occasional our back line and midfield sometimes were slow making decisions. The midfield lost the ball much more than usual. Lowery and Murphy got the ball stuck under their feet quite a few times.
    I was surprised that we had reverted to 4-3-3 as that favoured Lincoln's style of play.
    Anyway, I didn't see the second half. I assume it got worse.

Not upset at all Gazan, in fact would be surprised if you had not picked him, made him Captain, and player of the year. No he has not had a run in the team this season and the last 2 games for me show exactly why he should be in the team. Beyond poor. Cannot cope in league1 when opponents are competitive.

Presume someone had checked on our opponents. Don`t know who but based on his report we ended up with the wrong team selection. Wrong tactics, formation, and even wrong subs. No excuses for that. I have watched Lincoln this season on a couple of occasions and their strength is in their midfield and their attacks are mostly based through the centre of the pitch. We end up playing with 2 midfielders, 2 wingers, and 2 strikers. Talk about game over before it has even started.

It was painful viewing and as the game progressed it became dreadful. This was completely down to our management getting it wrong.

As suggested from my post I would agree on the planning aspect. As for Lowery, have you read any of my other recent posts? He is not clicking or imposing himself and recently seemed off the pace. Unfortunately, that also describes most of the rest of the team. However, we do need someone in the Lowerey mould, it just isn't Lowery himself at the moment.
    How long until Lundstram gets back?