+ Visit Rotherham United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789

Thread: O/T Quiz No 1 - Name Original Host, of UK TV Game / Quiz Shows

Quote Originally Posted by Ericsladkilnhurst View Post
    Sorry Cam you are in charge of the board, but the quiz master is in charge of the quiz, dissent & trying to get someone sent off, with a ban, will bring you a yellow card, but a first infringement, i am not over zealous with cards,
    Well played ref, setting the tone for those trying to influence you. Shame on you CAM. Tut tut.

Good that! I was out and about so missed it. Brought back some memories. What’s My Line was THE quiz in the Fifties as I remember it - regular Sunday evening viewing. Apart from long time chairman, Eamon Andrew’s, I recall:

The original host Gilbert Harding who was billed by the press as ‘the rudest man in England’ because of his splenetic outbursts. He looked ancient but I was amazed to read was only 53 when he died in 1960.

Poor old Lady Isobel Barnett. Witty and elegant she became an eccentric. She was caught shoplifting goods worth 87p and topped herself four days later for the public shame of it - at 62

Barbara Kelly, the Canadian wife of Bernard Braden. Pretty with a lovely smile - but, I always imagined, hard as nails, slipping a metaphorical stiletto between you ribs as she smiled...

Finally, Cyril ‘Pin Back Your Lug’oles’ Fletcher - very arch and waspish and cleverly funny. One suspects he batted for the other side but not an era in which to admit it and he was married with a daughter.

Quote Originally Posted by Ericsladkilnhurst View Post

What I've got Great Fire is -
    The first Chairman of Whats My Line was Gilbert Harding, but he proved unsuitable, & was replaced by the affable Eamonn Andrews.
    That's the first episode in my link.

As you can see, Gilbert Harding wasn't even on the panel.

Name:  what1.JPG
Views: 110
Size:  29.3 KB
    Last edited by great_fire; 06-03-2021 at 06:27 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by great_fire View Post
    That's the first episode in my link.

As you can see, Gilbert Harding wasn't even on the panel.

Name:  what1.JPG
Views: 110
Size:  29.3 KB
    Is my old friend Wikipedia wrong then as it says this about Harding:-

He was a regular on BBC Radio's Twenty Questions[5] and was voted Personality of the Year in the National Radio Awards of 1953-4.[6] Harding regularly appeared on the BBC television panel game What's My Line? as a panellist, having been the presenter of the very first episode in 1951.

Quote Originally Posted by CAMiller View Post
    Is my old friend Wikipedia wrong then as it says this about Harding:-

He was a regular on BBC Radio's Twenty Questions[5] and was voted Personality of the Year in the National Radio Awards of 1953-4.[6] Harding regularly appeared on the BBC television panel game What's My Line? as a panellist, having been the presenter of the very first episode in 1951.
    The Wikipedia entry for the show says Eamonn Andrews was the first host as well, although anyone can edit those anyway, the image I printed is from the Radio Times of 13 July 1951, the first episode was 16 July 1951.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/What%2...ish_game_show)

https://genome.ch.bbc.co.uk/page/541...b48f7c?page=41

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789