+ Visit Burnley FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dwight McNeil - revisited.

Lightbulb Dwight McNeil - revisited.

I'm reading across a few Burnley fan forums and opinion seems to be massively divided about a 21 year old who has already notched up 83 English Premier League games playing for the Clarets.

Do we expect too much from Dwight McNeil or is he not performing to our expectations, given the ability he has already shown?

Please discuss.

He's our most skilful player when he decides to,turn up. No1 on my team sheet every time.

he fits with what we have, can even look the best of what we have...which isn't exactly high praise. At other times he can look dithery - irresolute, but is That down to what we have, optiions restricting him ?...he can run with the ball, but can go too far - runs himself into trouble...doesn't look up, perhaps he needs to lift his head more, trust his feet.

all in all....right now (imo) - he's a mix of positive and negative qualities - something of a lucky dip.

In a better team I think he would shine but as we play so defensively he rarely gets the chance. He plays best when we are going forward, not when we are parking the bus. Definitely an asset though, one of our best players.

If you're going to play a big lump like Wood upfront, then we'll struggle to find anyone who can get the ball in to him better than McNeill can, certainly on the money we pay anyway. I'd much rather be with him, than without him.

Quote Originally Posted by sinkov View Post
    If you're going to play a big lump like Wood upfront, then we'll struggle to find anyone who can get the ball in to him better than McNeill can, certainly on the money we pay anyway. I'd much rather be with him, than without him.
    that a restricting reliance - Sinkov....Mcneil needs to get himself to a place where he can find the angle for a cross to Wood - training ground drill and repeat....Woods game or relies on it because he's got little else - but if McNeils prority is to target him...then that'll take up a lot of his play/thinking, constricting his game and ignoring other prospects - but is nothing new....that the Sean Zedung supressive apparatus.

Quote Originally Posted by The Bedlington Terrier View Post
    I'm reading across a few Burnley fan forums and opinion seems to be massively divided about a 21 year old who has already notched up 83 English Premier League games playing for the Clarets.

Do we expect too much from Dwight McNeil or is he not performing to our expectations, given the ability he has already shown?

Please discuss.
    CAN cross a great ball into the box from near the touchline when there isn't much of a gap for a cross.

CAN dribble forward with menace (I think against the first Crystal Palace game but could have the game wrong).

CAN go down the touchline beating a defender.

CAN score one goal a season.

CAN'T cure Covid.

CAN'T play for 90 mins.

DOES seem to switch off. in too many games.

CAN be invisible in a game.

IS far better than allowing one of the two goalkeepers to play on-field.

COULD be worth a transfer fortune.

COULD be one of the transfer thoughts of the new owner.

Quote Originally Posted by Norder View Post

that a restricting reliance - Sinkov....Mcneil needs to get himself to a place where he can find the angle for a cross to Wood - training ground drill and repeat....Woods game or relies on it because he's got little else - but if McNeils prority is to target him...then that'll take up a lot of his play/thinking, constricting his game and ignoring other prospects - but is nothing new....that the Sean Zedung supressive apparatus.
    It can be described as restrictive Norder certainly, but we are mostly a one trick pony and McNeill/Wood is more or less the only trick we've got. I've seen McNeill coming off his wing more and more often recently, some fans think he'd be better employed CM, but I've yet to see anything come of it. Wide left, with McNeill and Taylor, we do pose a threat, we don't have many others, and until the finances allow it, I can't see it changing.

Quote Originally Posted by The Bedlington Terrier View Post

Please discuss.
    I think we are too quick to jump on this kid, I’ve said before when he gets criticism for losing the ball etc but d much rather have a flair player at least try ( it’s difficult devil you do devil you don’t take risks ).

Imo anyway I think we’re just too reliant on him and that’s why I think it’s unfair to drop the responsibility at his door all the time.

For me I’d like him sometimes especially when he gets inside to go another yard and open his laces and shoot a bit , I still think he’s better in the whole as he can drift away from games especially when we’re under the cosh ( in his defence he’s come into a premiership team that asks a lot of him in a 442 defensively).

He’s a good prospect who I think needs some help to go on another level , by that I mean we need better wide players to push him and to learn from ———- if my competitors were Brady - JBG wide men I’d tend think I’m pretty safe because one of them is poor and the other isn’t but only plays in the 15 min games and is constantly injured.

He's not Leighton James though is he?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)