+ Visit Barnsley FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Biggest difference ...... Pre and Post ...... January

Biggest difference ...... Pre and Post ...... January

......... the ball now STICKS when played forward.

Pre January the ‘vertical football’ described by Val often resulted in the ball going forward quickly but then lost and coming straight back at us.
    We had not got a striker who was strong enough to hold the ball up to allow others to get forward.
    Pre January Val using Woodrow as the only target man - and IMO he isn’t a target man.
    He’s too slight - more of a striker that feeds off a target man.

Post January the big change came when (at long last) the final piece of the squad was put together when target man Morris joined the club.
    Made even better when another target man Dike joined the club.
    Heir and a spare.
    Not only allowing the ball to stick when played forward - also the impact of such a player in the forward line is also creating space for other strikers around him like Victor, Chaplin, Freiser to exploit.
    Last edited by Young_Nudger; 06-03-2021 at 08:47 AM.

I mentioned on Wednesday night's match thoughts about Brad Collins and his impact as a sweeper - keeper .

That's given that high defensive line some insurance , that's clearly why he's got the shirt over Walton becomes as goalkeepers there's nowt really between them other than Collins is better sweeping up .

Toby Sibbick too has added some pace to that defensive three and why Solly is now used rotationally .

What's remarkable is that Collins and Sibbick were already Barnsley players and not signed in January and it's like having two impact signings come in as per Dike and Morris .

The ducks have really lined up this season and in my opinion we'll never get a better opportunity this season of doing something remarkable .

That second spot ain't cut and dried either ........ just saying like !!! .

Quote Originally Posted by animallittle3 View Post
    I mentioned on Wednesday night's match thoughts about Brad Collins and his impact as a sweeper - keeper .

That's given that high defensive line some insurance , that's clearly why he's got the shirt over Walton becomes as goalkeepers there's nowt really between them other than Collins is better sweeping up .

Toby Sibbick too has added some pace to that defensive three and why Solly is now used rotationally .

What's remarkable is that Collins and Sibbick were already Barnsley players and not signed in January and it's like having two impact signings come in as per Dike and Morris .

The ducks have really lined up this season and in my opinion we'll never get a better opportunity this season of doing something remarkable .

That second spot ain't cut and dried either ........ just saying like !!! .
    Yes ....... the points you raise have been positive contributions.
    But IMO the ball ‘sticking’ up front has seen the biggest impact.

I don’t agree with this season being our best opportunity for promotion.

If - and I know it’s a big if - things remain the same in the back rooms then if we don’t get promotion this season - which I don’t think we will, I think we will fall just short - but next season we will have a bigger chance.
    And the season after that an even bigger chance.

But it depends on the back room remaining the same.
    Hopefully the owners will remain intact - not much risk of things changing there.
    And I hope Dane remains at the club - as he’s made a big difference in getting certain deals over the line eg Morris and Dike.
    But the biggest risk - and what would be a massive loss would be if Valerien left the club.
    I hope we can get at least another couple of seasons from him.
    In saying that - it wouldn’t surprise me to hear that James Cryne and Dane have already identified a list of potential replacements should he leave.

The ball does stick better than before Dike arrived. That near powst corner is now a real threat wi Dike in there as proved at QPR.

Morris looks a player to me rather than a hold up man. He can run with the ball and has a deceptive turn of pace.

Both great signings this January who have made a big difference up top

You have to give credit to the defence too for our recent run Helik n Anderson are beasts who impose themselves upon the opposition trying to win possession back positively, solb or sibb solid too, all do the basics well and don’t take unnecessary risks as for Collins he has added the sweeper aspect to his game recently combatting the long over the top ball which was an area of vulnerability for us before. I think we learned a lot in January despite our results

Quote Originally Posted by Dingle council View Post
    You have to give credit to the defence too for our recent run Helik n Anderson are beasts who impose themselves upon the opposition trying to win possession back positively, solb or sibb solid too, all do the basics well and don’t take unnecessary risks as for Collins he has added the sweeper aspect to his game recently combatting the long over the top ball which was an area of vulnerability for us before. I think we learned a lot in January despite our results
    Very good point, I'd totally agree wi that. Those January fixtures saw us pitted against the top 3, Watford and Norwich away where we couldn't quite get owt despite creating chances and Swansea at home where we got suckerpunched reight on aif time.

I keep saying that we haven't reached our potential yet. We laik Bournemouth next setdy in a huge game. In the reverse fixture they did a job on us, not that I thowt 4-0 was a fair reflection on the game. I'd suggest that we are a much improved team from that night and as you say, we've learnt from laiking those tough teams in January.

I am or rather I was a fan of Jack Walton as our main keeper. But I agree theres summat more impressive now about Brad Collins, and he definitely deserves the shirt/jersey these days.

It's a very good point re the ball sticking up top and means the reds create more and it takes the pressure off the defence as the ball doesn't come straight back at them. But then I think the defence has improved, the defending from individuals like Andersen and sibbick has got better, the defending has improved from a team perspective also with everyone getting back at times and doing their bit. Overall the standards of each and every player have improved at the same time. It's all come together at once.

Ball sticking up top.
    Ball drops to Morris - it sticks - he turns and puts a fantastic pass through to Dike.
    BANG !!!
    1-0.

Quote Originally Posted by Young_Nudger View Post
    Ball sticking up top.
    Ball drops to Morris - it sticks - he turns and puts a fantastic pass through to Dike.
    BANG !!!
    1-0.
    A dunt agree. Ball dint stick to Morris at all for our goal, it fell on a plate for him whilst he was facing the Birmingham goal and on the front foot.

'Ball sticking' to me means when thaz got thi back to goal, brings a high ball darn, holds it and lays it off to a team mate. Classic CF play