+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Signing Backgrounds

Signing Backgrounds

So I have had a quick and basic look at where we have signed players from. I have ignored loan players. The vast majority of our squad do not have a background in this division. There are one or two good ones to come out of this such as Wootton probably being the number one EFL signing for example but by and large my opinion is that this recruitment strategy is not working. Take a look at the list below. Interestingly the few we have brought in from NL are all pretty good. Of the EFL ones Lacey, Rawlinson and Wootton and Slocombe I would keep. Still hard even at this stage to pass comment on Sam and Rodrigues. I do think we need to be looking more at non league for players. They will be cheaper, more accustomed to the rigors of the division and probably more eager. The majority of that side won't be playing for us next season regardless of the division we are in.

Player Club
    Slocombe Bristol Rovers EFL
    Pilling Tranmere EFL
    Brindley Bromley NL
    Turner Mansfield EFL
    Barnett Oldham EFL
    Rawlinson Port Vale EFL
    Mccrory Burton EFL
    Kelly Evans Kettering NL
    Chicksen Bolton EFL
    Alex Lacey Gillingham EFL
    Reeves Bradford EFL
    O'Brien Bradford EFL
    Doyle Coventry EFL
    Wootton S****horpe EFL
    Roberts Morpeth NL
    Boldjewinn Crawley EFL
    Rodrigues Portugal N/A
    Sam Holland N/A

Quote Originally Posted by queenslandpie View Post
    So I have had a quick and basic look at where we have signed players from. I have ignored loan players. The vast majority of our squad do not have a background in this division. There are one or two good ones to come out of this such as Wootton probably being the number one EFL signing for example but by and large my opinion is that this recruitment strategy is not working. Take a look at the list below. Interestingly the few we have brought in from NL are all pretty good. Of the EFL ones Lacey, Rawlinson and Wootton and Slocombe I would keep. Still hard even at this stage to pass comment on Sam and Rodrigues. I do think we need to be looking more at non league for players. They will be cheaper, more accustomed to the rigors of the division and probably more eager. The majority of that side won't be playing for us next season regardless of the division we are in.

Player Club
    Slocombe Bristol Rovers EFL
    Pilling Tranmere EFL
    Brindley Bromley NL
    Turner Mansfield EFL
    Barnett Oldham EFL
    Rawlinson Port Vale EFL
    Mccrory Burton EFL
    Kelly Evans Kettering NL
    Chicksen Bolton EFL
    Alex Lacey Gillingham EFL
    Reeves Bradford EFL
    O'Brien Bradford EFL
    Doyle Coventry EFL
    Wootton S****horpe EFL
    Roberts Morpeth NL
    Boldjewinn Crawley EFL
    Rodrigues Portugal N/A
    Sam Holland N/A
    I think every single one of them has had experience of playing at a higher level, in fact when you start doing the background checks you do start to wonder why they aren’t tearing this league up.

Quote Originally Posted by ncfcog View Post
    I think every single one of them has had experience of playing at a higher level, in fact when you start doing the background checks you do start to wonder why they aren’t tearing this league up.
    Our negative style of play might be a a reason

I think our recruitment strategy is very clear to see here. I agree on paper they should be. Even the fringe players like Chicksen have considerable experience in higher divisions. Probably the only one without EFL experience is Roberts who is probably ( if he gets over these injuries) the best of the lot. I think we need to have a long look at that. The majority will be gone at the end of the season and there are not many I would keep. Reeves, Doyle, Turner, Barnett, McCrory, Chicksen, Obrien, Boldjewin won't be here in a playing capacity surely. I might do the same exercise on some of the other squads at the top, i.e. Sutton, Torquay, Hartlepool.

Quote Originally Posted by Glad2BeAPie View Post
    This. I think it's the system. I mentioned Effiong the other day - 17 goals last season at Dover, including proving himself a difficult customer against us.

He comes to Notts and says he is having to learn the new system, new runs to make and new places to be, and now he looks a shadow of his former self.

The manager is slavishly devoted to his system, trusting the processes and the patterns of play he always speaks about, but then in his post match interview against Kings Lynn laments how they brought a big man on up front and put our centre halves under pressure and almost inevitably got a goal.

So why is it that when we put our (objectively decebt) big man on, instead of making a goal inevitable he can barely control the ball or stay on his feet?

Tactics are interesting message board fodder but maybe we are over complicating things. We've got good players for the level - does anyone really think performances and results would be any worse if in the dressing room before a match we gave them a simple but effective game plan and wound them up?

Moot point really as we will persist with filling their heads with algebra and 'calming them down'.

Quote Originally Posted by ncfcog View Post
    I’d be surprised if most of the players at NL level haven’t drifted down the leagues over the years or are on loan from league clubs - Woking have Matt Jarvis and he’s played at the top level for Wolves and West Ham. I’m sure Solihull had someone who’d gone for big transfer sums over the years when we played them, too.

The test for me is how many of the players listed above genuinely look too good for this league? Not many in overall play, and the only difference is perhaps the number of great goal we score compared to other teams in the division.
    Last edited by nw6pie; 07-03-2021 at 06:30 AM. Reason: Listed the wrong Jarvis

I agree with the posters on this thread that say its the deployment not the recruitment..
    The recruitment's been pretty varied really and isn't the issue IMO.

Two points though...
    The way to get out of this league is to pack the team with players who are too good for it. The way to stay is to pack the team with players who belong here (remembering it's only 1 up from 24 clubs and then the trials of the play-offs for another 1). So no to a lot more recruitment from the NL

The worst recruitment over the past ten or so years has been the old pros/bigger names at the end of their careers - Stead/Smith/Doyle/O'Brien/Turner have been the most frustrating players I've seen and they get picked time after time after time...
    Last edited by the_anticlough; 07-03-2021 at 06:49 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by the_anticlough View Post
    I agree with the posters on this thread that say its the deployment not the recruitment..
    The recruitment's been pretty varied really and isn't the issue IMO.

Two points though...
    The way to get out of this league is to pack the team with players who are too good for it. The way to stay is to pack the team with players who belong here (remembering it's only 1 up from 24 clubs and then the trials of the play-offs for another 1). So no to a lot more recruitment from the NL

The worst recruitment over the past ten or so years has been the old pros/bigger names at the end of their careers - Stead/Smith/Doyle/O'Brien/Turner have been the most frustrating players I've seen and they get picked time after time after time...
    +1 for those saying that it’s the deployment of the tactics, not the personnel, that’s causing us most problems.

I’ve said before that some of the players look lost, or like strangers, so maybe they just don’t fully understand what the hell Ardley is on about....the manager has said himself that the players haven’t done as they’ve been told to on numerous occasions.

I can’t see it changing now but it should be simple, especially in this division....

Win the midfield early, and when you do keep your foot on the throat of the opposition and don’t let up until the game is won. Only once you have the midfield can you play your fancy football....we seem to forget this is every game we play. How many times in the last two seasons have our midfield dominated an opposition in this way? I’m honestly struggling to think of a single game. I thought this was the very basic foundations of winning a game.

Quote Originally Posted by Glad2BeAPie View Post
    It can only be the manager, can't it? What other reason can there be for players brought in by Marmite to change from being effective at their last club to being really average, or worse, when they come under his influence, then back to decent players when they leave? I strongly suspect the positive play and goals scored by Notts occur when two or three players abandon Ardley's caucus race. They use their own footballing experience to abandon the caution of looking for someone in space - there isn't anybody there - or passing the ball back into minefield, and just have a go at it.

If Dear Leader thinks we can top this league by playing a la Man. City he ought to try buying millionaire players but I reckon he would turn them into non-league stuff within a month.

Quote Originally Posted by drillerpie View Post
    This. I think it's the system. I mentioned Effiong the other day - 17 goals last season at Dover, including proving himself a difficult customer against us.

He comes to Notts and says he is having to learn the new system, new runs to make and new places to be, and now he looks a shadow of his former self.

The manager is slavishly devoted to his system, trusting the processes and the patterns of play he always speaks about, but then in his post match interview against Kings Lynn laments how they brought a big man on up front and put our centre halves under pressure and almost inevitably got a goal.

So why is it that when we put our (objectively decebt) big man on, instead of making a goal inevitable he can barely control the ball or stay on his feet?

Tactics are interesting message board fodder but maybe we are over complicating things. We've got good players for the level - does anyone really think performances and results would be any worse if in the dressing room before a match we gave them a simple but effective game plan and wound them up?

Moot point really as we will persist with filling their heads with algebra and 'calming them down'.
    On fire again driller, another great post..

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast