+ Visit West Bromwich Albion FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Allardyce

Quote Originally Posted by Barrera View Post
    Given the right financial backing I think BS would brings straight back up. The players he brought in on loans have all been an improvement on what we had. And he has turned a defence which was the worst in the division by a country mile ..... into one that’s difficult to break down.

But the summer is going to be crucial and it depends on the hierarchy in China to a very large extent. We could have Pep, Klopp, Mourinho or BS ..... but if no financial backing any Manager will be f*****. At least BS can spit a decent player ..... which is Why I for one would like to see him given an go .....

Me too to be honest Barrera with a big fat bonus as an incentive. The alternative to Fat Sam as we know will be someone like Appleton or another pal of Dowlings! Needs to be sorted sooner rather than later so the foundations can begin!

Its a good question, would anyone have kept us up when Allardyce was appointed? I think the answer to that with the team we had is no.

And I think a lot of that has to go down to our recruitment policy. We spent too much of our budget on players who haven't made an impact in Grant and Diangana. And we didn't invest in the areas we needed to - Full back, central striker and in central midfield. We've been crying out for a Diagne or Rondon type striker and for a Yokuslu or Yacob type player in midfield for more than half the season.

The problem is we are so far behind in terms of points is that we now need to create chances to score goals and win games. That's just not his style and I don't blame him for toughening us up at the back first and foremost.

I didn't want Bilic to get sacked when he did, but I thought Allardyce was about as good as we could have gone for after that. It won't be pretty with him, but I do think he'd bring us back up next season - probably with a lot of turgid 1-0 and 2-0 wins. He knows how to keep clean sheets and be hard to beat. Whether he wants to stay for a season in the championship - who knows. It probably has a lot to do with the bonus we will offer him.

If we keep SA in charge, he will only bring us back up if the resources, i.e. money, is made available to make the squad competitive. Will we keep Yokouslu? Probably not if the wages are slashed. We won’t have Gallagher or AM-N, Pereira will probably go, so what does that leave? Young Callum Morton might do well in the Championship, he scored recently for Lincoln. Essentially, though, the Club is ****** until we are rid of the ******* Chinese and their lackeys like Dowling.

Quote Originally Posted by kettering_baggie View Post
    If we keep SA in charge, he will only bring us back up if the resources, i.e. money, is made available to make the squad competitive. Will we keep Yokouslu? Probably not if the wages are slashed. We won’t have Gallagher or AM-N, Pereira will probably go, so what does that leave? Young Callum Morton might do well in the Championship, he scored recently for Lincoln. Essentially, though, the Club is ****** until we are rid of the ******* Chinese and their lackeys like Dowling.
    I can't say I agree with this

Of course, we will inevitably lose our loan players. I would sell Sam Johnstone for funds and make Palmer No 1 who is doing very well at Lincoln and has earned his chance. Then we know our current back 4 is decent and very competitive at championship level. We also have some very good and proven (at champ level) attacking midfielders. If we play 4-2-3-1 the 3 behind the striker could be any 3 from Periera, Diangana, Robinson, Grant and Snodgrass.

What I hope for in the next window is a clear out of the deadwood. So Gibbs, Sawyers, Livermore, HRK etc.

And we know we need a couple of central midfielders to replace Gallagher and Yokoslu. And a striker to replace Diagne. It all comes down to recruitment - but 7/8 of the current squad would fit into next seasons first XI for me.

Quote Originally Posted by WBA123 View Post

Of course, we will inevitably lose our loan players. I would sell Sam Johnstone for funds and make Palmer No 1 who is doing very well at Lincoln and has earned his chance. Then we know our current back 4 is decent and very competitive at championship level. We also have some very good and proven (at champ level) attacking midfielders. If we play 4-2-3-1 the 3 behind the striker could be any 3 from Periera, Diangana, Robinson, Grant and Snodgrass.

What I hope for in the next window is a clear out of the deadwood. So Gibbs, Sawyers, Livermore, HRK etc.

And we know we need a couple of central midfielders to replace Gallagher and Yokoslu. And a striker to replace Diagne. It all comes down to recruitment - but 7/8 of the current squad would fit into next seasons first XI for me.

Totally agree with everything there 123. Can’t see what the problem is with Grosicki as he would be decent too in the championship. We need to get funds too for Zohore!

I agree with all that 123 (that's a first eh!). My only worry is that we know that the majority of these players, who may well get us promoted, are probably not good enough to hold their own at Premiership level. We will definitely need to build a squad that gets us up but can be competitive in the higher league. I would even accept that we could do with a couple of seasons in the Championship to put together such a squad.

I can't say I agree with this.....we know our current back 4 is decent and very competitive at championship level.....
    Can't say I fully agree with this.......there were times last season when our defence was utterly calamitous.

Our best defensive full back was a converted centre half academy product in his first season (now at Palace) and we never had a consistent centre half pairing.

Our defence didn't come under as much scrutiny at Championship level because of the pressure we applied at the other end of the pitch.

When teams had the temerity to attack we were often found wanting. We had an upper half Championship defence which didn't always compete with lower half Championship forwards.

Quote Originally Posted by Albionic68 View Post
    Can't say I fully agree with this.......there were times last season when our defence was utterly calamitous.

Our best defensive full back was a converted centre half academy product in his first season (now at Palace) and we never had a consistent centre half pairing.

Our defence didn't come under as much scrutiny at Championship level because of the pressure we applied at the other end of the pitch.

When teams had the temerity to attack we were often found wanting. We had an upper half Championship defence which didn't always compete with lower half Championship forwards.
    For me a major part of last season's defensive failings was what was immediately in front of them. Sawyers and Livermore.

Quote Originally Posted by 9goals2hattricks3pen View Post
    For me a major part of last season's defensive failings was what was immediately in front of them. Sawyers and Livermore.
    Fair comment, I don't think they were always helped by what was behind them either to be honest.

Equally I doubt they'd have faired much better with the majority of Championship midfielders in front of them.

They're not hopeless, I just don't think they're good enough to be described as 'very competitive' as a Championship unit when they very often weren't.

We're going to need at least one centre half, a better right back and preferably some extra competition at left back.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)