+ Visit Crewe Alexandra FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Have we said goodbye to the play-offs?

Have we said goodbye to the play-offs?

7 points behind with 13 games left. Seems a big gap to make up. Could we still manage it, though? In past seasons, the period from now to the end has often been our best part and we've often gone on surges up the table.
    However, form lately has not been inspiring and despite DA's optimistic read of 4 defeats in 19 games (many of which have been draws), performance has been nowhere near last season's high.
    It might be pointed out that we are in a higher division and so our expectations should be tailored to that reality but our form in the first half of the season was fairly entertaining (once we adapted) but since then, perhaps we've been found out and hence games became a bit of a grind.
    Obviously, it has been an odd season and no-one really knows how loss of crowds has affected each individual team on the pitch.
    Many of us will probably suggest being happy enough with mid-table safety, while at the same time feeling a bit wistful about the fact we had actually appeared in 6th or 7th place at one point of the season. So how is with you? Late season push, middling finish or end of season fizzle out?

Gazan, to answer your question, yup I don't think we'll make the playoffs now.
    That's probably a good thing, a trip to Wembley would be great fun...but what would happen if we ended up winning.
    I don't think we're good enough to stay in the Championship, and would spend a depressing year at the wrong end of the table & all that entails.
    We've had a great season 20-21 and should be proud of ourselves, but consistency & finishing have left a little bit to be desired.
    Maybe we can change that with some wise summer signings..maybe not, but I'm happy with where we are at present.

Good few wins left for us this season, but not enough to get us in the playoffs.

I agree, I think we will miss out, but not by much - frustratingly!

As you know by now I tend towards the optimistic and, looking at our fixtures, I can see us ending up with 70 points, or just shy of that. In the past few seasons that’s been good enough for 7th or 8th place which, not only would I have been delighted with at the start of the season, I would be pleased with now. I would not be worried if we got promoted, via the play offs or directly, as it might mean we hang on to a couple of players and attract good players too.

The first time we were promoted to the second tier the side was made up of ex Non Leaguers (Smithy, Macauley, Little) and some pretty inexperienced youngsters with Danny Murphythe star player - and he left for Liverpool immediately, followed out of the club by Savage who got into a huff for being dropped for the play off final and drove off in it!

We were all wondering who the scrawny 17 year old was who made his debut in the first match of the following season and went on to make 40 appearances that season. It was, of course, Kenny Lunt and, along with a number of other players we hadn’t heard of at the time, kept us there for 8 of the next 9 seasons, often struggling but still there.

I know times have changed and budgets are bigger, but we shouldn’t be afraid of giving it a go. Sadly, I don’t think we’ll quite make it. Not this year anyway!!

AA, points prediction might be a good theme as, having just looked at the fixtures, my prediction is 68 points, so not much different.

Yeah, we have the better teams at home and the worst teams away... by and large!

Reckon we have a very good chance.
    Have good players coming back from injury.
    Have a decent sized squad in terms of numbers.
    We fear no-one in this division.
    We don't have to play Lincoln again ...

Quote Originally Posted by RedandWhiteSpartan View Post
    Gazan, to answer your question, yup I don't think we'll make the playoffs now.
    That's probably a good thing, a trip to Wembley would be great fun...but what would happen if we ended up winning.
    I don't think we're good enough to stay in the Championship, and would spend a depressing year at the wrong end of the table & all that entails.
    We've had a great season 20-21 and should be proud of ourselves, but consistency & finishing have left a little bit to be desired.
    Maybe we can change that with some wise summer signings..maybe not, but I'm happy with where we are at present.

Good few wins left for us this season, but not enough to get us in the playoffs.
    I believe that for any team going up to the championship it is worth circa. £5 mill from the football league, etc., not to be sniffed at and I don't think that we will have a better chance again for a while after this year unfortunately!

Hands up if you think we're good enough for the Championship after that 45 minutes.

Quote Originally Posted by gazan View Post
    7 points behind with 13 games left. Seems a big gap to make up. Could we still manage it, though? In past seasons, the period from now to the end has often been our best part and we've often gone on surges up the table.
    However, form lately has not been inspiring and despite DA's optimistic read of 4 defeats in 19 games (many of which have been draws), performance has been nowhere near last season's high.
    It might be pointed out that we are in a higher division and so our expectations should be tailored to that reality but our form in the first half of the season was fairly entertaining (once we adapted) but since then, perhaps we've been found out and hence games became a bit of a grind.
    Obviously, it has been an odd season and no-one really knows how loss of crowds has affected each individual team on the pitch.
    Many of us will probably suggest being happy enough with mid-table safety, while at the same time feeling a bit wistful about the fact we had actually appeared in 6th or 7th place at one point of the season. So how is with you? Late season push, middling finish or end of season fizzle out?

I think even the most optimistic Crewe fan can’t think we are in the hunt I think a mid table finish would be good for our first season back in league 1. What do we make of the Artell comments that a fair few players will be leaving at the end of this season and he expects a busy transfer window, who do we think will be departing ? Surely Nolan and by the looks Sass Davies. Wintle and Ainley have not signed contracts, Porter I also think will either retire or move on.
    Any thoughts ?

Never mind 45, the whole 97 minutes were awful. A lack of character and nerve.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast