+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Possible new CB

Ardley likes to comment on how many games Wootton has to play and his only cover for him is Effiong. We have a plethora of players who if asked could make shift as a central defender for one or two games. However we don't actually have any effective cover for Wootton at all as Effiong is not match fit and is crap.

Doors in the corner Neal. Close it on the way out.

Quote Originally Posted by queenslandpie View Post
    Ardley likes to comment on how many games Wootton has to play and his only cover for him is Effiong. We have a plethora of players who if asked could make shift as a central defender for one or two games. However we don't actually have any effective cover for Wootton at all as Effiong is not match fit and is crap.

Doors in the corner Neal. Close it on the way out.
    I disagree. Who can play centre back if asked? We only have to look at Liverpool FC to see what happens when you play players out of position.
    Someone mentioned Doyle. So a player that barely wins a header and is as slow as a slug is now the man to fill the void left by injuries. Playing Doyle their would be worse than having Ben Turner their. At least he can win some headers.

His recruitment where CBs is concerned has been pretty solid so far to be fair.

Quote Originally Posted by Notts78 View Post
    I disagree. Who can play centre back if asked? We only have to look at Liverpool FC to see what happens when you play players out of position.
    Someone mentioned Doyle. So a player that barely wins a header and is as slow as a slug is now the man to fill the void left by injuries. Playing Doyle their would be worse than having Ben Turner their. At least he can win some headers.
    So who is going to cover then for Wootton if he gets injured? He has had a largely injury free time but it'll happen. There hasn't really been any cover all season. My general point which was poorly made, is that once again our glorious manger thinks of the back and has replaced the front with an almighty bag of poo. If you have to stick a defensive minded ringer in there such as Brindley ( not forgetting he sent Graham back a few months ago ) it'll sure up the shop for a while not ideal, but we got nowt up top but that doesn't make the headlines. Ardley has failed to effectively sure up Wootton getting injured for sometime, a player who has socred nearly half of our goals.

So who is going to cover then for Wootton if he gets injured? He has had a largely injury free time but it'll happen. There hasn't really been any cover all season. My general point which was poorly made, is that once again our glorious manger thinks of the back and has replaced the front with an almighty bag of poo. If you have to stick a defensive minded ringer in there such as Brindley ( not forgetting he sent Graham back a few months ago ) it'll sure up the shop for a while not ideal, but we got nowt up top but that doesn't make the headlines. Ardley has failed to effectively sure up Wootton getting injured for sometime, a player who has scored nearly half of our goals.
    I agree with the part about Wootton and have all season. Not suggesting Effiong is the answer but we don't really know, 5 min cameos here and there apart from a couple of starts when he joined. and surprisingly his confidence is shot..As someone on here mentioned on here recently this is a player who scored 17 goals last season. so he isn't the useless so and so some are making out

So who is going to cover then for Wootton if he gets injured? He has had a largely injury free time but it'll happen. There hasn't really been any cover all season. My general point which was poorly made, is that once again our glorious manger thinks of the back and has replaced the front with an almighty bag of poo. If you have to stick a defensive minded ringer in there such as Brindley ( not forgetting he sent Graham back a few months ago ) it'll sure up the shop for a while not ideal, but we got nowt up top but that doesn't make the headlinesh. Ardley has failed to effectively sure up Wootton getting injured for sometime, a player who has socred nearly half of our goals.
    Brindley is a solid candidate when fit which he hasn’t been for a few weeks.
    I would imagine that centre backs are cheaper to acquire than a forward.
    I would love cover for Wooton and I suspect that Effiong is that player. Is he as good as Wooton? No. That would raise questions with every club in world football if they lost a star player - which Wooton is. He is genuinely the one player that is irreplaceable. That’s football at every level.

So, it was a CB or cover for Wootton?

As we know, Graham went back due to lack of game time. But, Lacey and Rawlinson were performing in the league. So the only opportunity was in the cup games, he played against Stockport before returning to Sheff Utd? I maybe wrong, but that’s what my memory tells me.

Effiong, as others have suggested a good record last season. So a good addition on paper. Not reached the levels we’d hoped for, but I believe he will come good. However, his main opportunity will come via cup games. Unless we find ourselves 3-0 up with 15 minutes to go in league games or, God forbid, Wootton gets injured.

All this chat about Wooton being our only sauce of goals - wot abaht Sam? He's scored a few has he not? I believe he and Wooton are forging an understanding in attack but that's not to say we need not sign another striker before either of those two suffers an injury serious enough to keep them out for a few games. It ought be done now too, so as he has time to get to know our "style" - ha! Rather than bunging him into the team and shoving him out on the pitch before he's unpacked his bags.

As for signing yet another defender, How many more will Marmite sign up before he recognises he wouldn't know a decent one even if he saw one with a sign round his neck saying "I am a proper defender, yes me, and I come with a written guarantee!".

Quote Originally Posted by St Kitts Magpie View Post
    I agree with the part about Wootton and have all season. Not suggesting Effiong is the answer but we don't really know, 5 min cameos here and there apart from a couple of starts when he joined. and surprisingly his confidence is shot..As someone on here mentioned on here recently this is a player who scored 17 goals last season. so he isn't the useless so and so some are making out
    He may have scored 17 goals last season but where they playing out from the back like us or did they get the ball up to him early.

In a crisis you can play a forward at center half a lot of us would remember Trevor Christie playing in that position. I think Les Bradd did a couple of times too.

Quote Originally Posted by LaxtonLad View Post
    All this chat about Wooton being our only sauce of goals - wot abaht Sam? He's scored a few has he not? I believe he and Wooton are forging an understanding in attack but that's not to say we need not sign another striker before either of those two suffers an injury serious enough to keep them out for a few games. It ought be done now too, so as he has time to get to know our "style" - ha! Rather than bunging him into the team and shoving him out on the pitch before he's unpacked his bags.

As for signing yet another defender, How many more will Marmite sign up before he recognises he wouldn't know a decent one even if he saw one with a sign round his neck saying "I am a proper defender, yes me, and I come with a written guarantee!".
    Sam, agree, but I believe he’s more comfortable wide in a front 3.

The comment re he wouldn’t know a decent one if he saw one, what about Rawlinson, Lacy, Kelly-Evans? They’ve been pretty good signings?

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast