+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Oldham appoint Curle

Oldham appoint Curle

League Two Oldham Athletic are set to appoint former Northampton Town boss Keith Curle as their new head coach, reports BBC Radio Manchester.

The 57-year-old led the Cobblers to promotion from League Two last term but was sacked in February after a poor run of form left them 23rd in League One.

Harry Kewell was sacked by the Latics on Sunday after seven months in charge.

Curle will be the eighth different manager at the club since Abdallah Lemsagam took over as owner in 2018.

Former Leeds and Liverpool winger Kewell, 42, was appointed in August, taking over from Dino Maamria after spells with Crawley Town and Notts County.

Despite scoring 49 goals in 32 League Two fixtures this season, the third-highest of any team in the fourth tier, the Latics have so far conceded a league-high 56 goals and are 16th in the table.

Former England and Manchester City defender Curle joined Northampton in 2018 after a three-and-a-half-year spell as manager of Carlisle United.

He took the Cobblers up through the League Two play-offs last season, the first time he had won promotion as a manager, having also managed Mansfield, Chester, Torquay United and Notts County.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/56322289

So that means all of their last three managers have been ex-Notts bosses.

Quote Originally Posted by upthemaggies View Post
    So that means all of their last three managers have been ex-Notts bosses.
    I would suggest that might not be the smartest strategy!

Quote Originally Posted by Elite_Pie View Post
    Curley Wurley was alright. Think it was most likely the 'Mansfield connection' that did for him as far as the fans go.

Footy was a bit boring at times but it looked like watching Brazil compared to HArdley's brand.

We were we in L1 when he got the sack, about 8th?

Quote Originally Posted by Elite_Pie View Post
    At least it means Curle won't be coming back here, I had a bad feeling he'd end up being the man to replace Ardley.

At least it means Curle won't be coming back here, I had a bad feeling he'd end up being the man to replace Ardley.
    It could well mean him coming back here UTM, given the turnover of managers at Oldham.

I still think we’d be a league 1 club if the fans hadn’t got Curle sacked!

Quote Originally Posted by countygump View Post
    It could well mean him coming back here UTM, given the turnover of managers at Oldham.
    I'm going to have to correct myself. They've had six different people in charge between Sheridan and Kewell. I thought Kewell had replaced Sheridan but he left in 2017. So Curle is the 9th man to be in charge there in less than 4 years (and it looks like only 2 of those 9 were caretakers).

Quote Originally Posted by countygump View Post
    Curley Wurley was alright. Think it was most likely the 'Mansfield connection' that did for him as far as the fans go.

Footy was a bit boring at times but it looked like watching Brazil compared to HArdley's brand.

We were we in L1 when he got the sack, about 8th?
    I'd say Curle's football when he was here and Ardley's football now are both equally frustrating to watch.

From what I say of Northampton last season though I think Curle's style has evolved for the better.

If it happened today, I'd be delighted.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast