+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The lost Patrick designed Notts kit 1983

The lost Patrick designed Notts kit 1983

End of the 1982/83 season, a Notts youth team player was pictured wearing something like the above (which is a mock up). At the time I was fully expecting the first team to turn out in the same kit the following season. Instead we did a deal with Admiral. Patrick were fairly popular, they produced kits for Southampton (Keegan wore it), Derby, Birmingham, Newport and probably a few others.

Can't find the pic anywhere, so maybe it's just me going mad but I swear I saw it - probably in the short lived newspaper they re-introduced around that time to compliment the programme. I think the shirt might have had a KLG Glass sponsor on it.
    Last edited by upthemaggies; 08-03-2021 at 03:27 PM.

The purists would hate it because it deviates from the traditional black and white stripes, but if we were to do so, I quite like that design!

Quote Originally Posted by jackal2 View Post
    The purists would hate it because it deviates from the traditional black and white stripes, but if we were to do so, I quite like that design!
    It was a black & white picture I saw, so it's possible it may have had coloured piping (yellow?) between the black panels and white centre area (as Southampton had black piping between the red and white) and if so, then mixed into the collar and cuffs as well.

If we'd gone with Umbro that summer - and as Dunnett was open to the idea of pinstripes - we'd have probably ended up with this (Stoke City had the same design for 1983/84 in red)......

Reminds me of the Southampton one you mentioned, but in black and white, so just googled it and there's Keegan wearing it and it's exactly the same design, down to the collars and sleeves.

Better than most kits we've worn since but probably only because of the magpie.

Edit - just seen that you said it was a mock up.

Quote Originally Posted by upthemaggies View Post

End of the 1982/83 season, a Notts youth team player was pictured wearing something like the above (which is a mock up). At the time I was fully expecting the first team to turn out in the same kit the following season. Instead we did a deal with Admiral. Patrick were fairly popular, they produced kits for Southampton (Keegan wore it), Derby, Birmingham, Newport and probably a few others.

Can't find the pic anywhere, so maybe it's just me going mad but I swear I saw it - probably in the short lived newspaper they re-introduced around that time to compliment the programme. I think the shirt might have had a KLG Glass sponsor on it.
    I like this top ,
    Bushwaka beat me to it where he says its like the Southampton kit of that era.
    I had the Southampton kit , wore it to death !I was Kevin Keegan !

Wish it had stayed lost, it's bloody hideous!!

Quote Originally Posted by OP67 View Post
    Wish it had stayed lost, it's bloody hideous!!
    Personally, I think it's brilliant.

Quote Originally Posted by PedroTheFisherman66 View Post
    I like this top ,
    Bushwaka beat me to it where he says its like the Southampton kit of that era.
    I had the Southampton kit , wore it to death !I was Kevin Keegan !
    I used to have lots of different clubs' tops and wanted the Southampton one when Keegan arrived, but a classmate beat me to it and I'd only be seen in shirts that nobody else had. My Man City top was my favourite with the diamonds down the sleeves - When I went to the local shops in it, people used to look at me as if I'd just stepped off an alien spacecraft.

Patrick were very cool for a while, I had a pair of Patrick trainers. Up to that point it had been just Adidas, Umbro, Admiral and Buckta,
    Le Coq Sportif came onto the UK scene around the same time (having done Argentina and French league kits for a few years) and like Patrick they would place the badge in the centre of the shirts and add two of their own logos to the sleeves, looked very smart, but shirt sponsorship came in and ruined things.

I'd have preferred the Patrick design to what we ended up wearing tied up with Admiral, I was really disappointed when I saw that dual-pinstriped shirt for the first time. Admiral had gone out of fashion by then and were seen as a bit cheap and tacky, they'd had Man U in the 70s who had long since switched to Adidas, Leeds (who were the first club to adopt their designs) had got relegated and England switched to Umbro, so I think it was just us and Leicester with Admiral in the top tier by 83/84. We were relegated twice in that shirt and were then stuck in the 3rd tier with two further Admiral designs before we switched to Matchwinner with immediate success.

Imagine if we'd had a deal with Hummel when they were doing those crazy half pin-striped, half solid coloured blocks as worn by Denmark, Coventry and Aston Villa in the mid-late 80s.

Quote Originally Posted by upthemaggies View Post
    Something similar happened in 2009/10. We had a deal with Vandanel, but when Munto came in that was binned an we switched to Nike. The Vandanel home shirt was a poor design (broad black and narrow white stripes), but the royal blue away one was quite stylish. Some of them popped up on Ebay, and I bought both for one reason - they had 'JIMMY SIRREL 1922-2008' embroidered on the left sleeve. I was disappointed that this wasn't incorporated into the Nike shirt we wore in the Munto season. There are still a few on Ebay:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Notts-Cou...cAAOSwmXpcGlng

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NOTTS-COU...AAAOSw3o5fsRgs

With a shirt like that, we’d have been known as the penguins instead of the magpies. Good thing it disappeared imo.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast