+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: There can be no more excuses.

There can be no more excuses.

Now that we've added three more players to our already competitive squad, there can be no justification for not going out and playing more positively than we've done so far this season. Given the backing that Ardley's been given, top spot should be the aim, and is achievable, if we try playing the game in the opposition's half rather than ours.

Ardley won't change his ways... Any footballing ability these three new signings might bring will soon have it knocked out of them...

Quote Originally Posted by Observerpie View Post
    Now that we've added three more players to our already competitive squad, there can be no justification for not going out and playing more positively than we've done so far this season. Given the backing that Ardley's been given, top spot should be the aim, and is achievable, if we try playing the game in the opposition's half rather than ours.
    There never were any excuses, despite what others might have you believe.

Not this season, not last season nor the season before.

This season#noexcuses

Quote Originally Posted by countygump View Post
    There never were any excuses, despite what others might have you believe.

Not this season, not last season nor the season before.
    Completely agree. His management record at Notts is terrible given the resources at his disposal vs the opposition. There is no valid reason for this - he has been backed with signing after signing throughout his tenure.

We must challenge for top spot. If the next 10 games don’t offer championship form I would happily see the back of him. He’s a nice bloke and I wish him well but enough would be enough at that point.
    Last edited by Mapperleypie; 08-03-2021 at 10:56 PM.

My position remains that I'll back whatever decision the owners make with regard to Neal Ardley's future, but in principle I agree he has been given tremendous backing to build what is very much now his own squad, which should/must be the equal if not the better of any other club competing at this level.

These additional signings should provide the impetus to kick on for the rest of the season against other teams who don't have anywhere near our squad depth. Indeed it should be eminently possible for a team such as ours to go on a winning run and start chasing down the league leaders. From now on, I want to hear a little less about how strong all our opponents are and how they "make it difficult for us", and a little more about how we're going to impose ourselves on them.

It's a poignant point to make at present as he lies in hospital hopefully recovering from COVID pneumonia, but what we need is the attitude Steve Cotterill brought to a talented but inconsistent team around this time in the season ten years ago: "We shouldn't be aiming for the play-offs, I expect you to win this league". And we did.

Quote Originally Posted by laddo View Post
    This season#noexcuses
    whatever that means?

Quote Originally Posted by Wedgie_pie View Post
    Ardley won't change his ways... Any footballing ability these three new signings might bring will soon have it knocked out of them...
    Nonsense, they will be part of a dynamic defence! As usual.

Quote Originally Posted by jackal2 View Post
    My position remains that I'll back whatever decision the owners make with regard to Neal Ardley's future, but in principle I agree he has been given tremendous backing to build what is very much now his own squad, which should/must be the equal if not the better of any other club competing at this level.

These additional signings should provide the impetus to kick on for the rest of the season against other teams who don't have anywhere near our squad depth. Indeed it should be eminently possible for a team such as ours to go on a winning run and start chasing down the league leaders. From now on, I want to hear a little less about how strong all our opponents are and how they "make it difficult for us", and a little more about how we're going to impose ourselves on them.

It's a poignant point to make at present as he lies in hospital hopefully recovering from COVID pneumonia, but what we need is the attitude Steve Cotterill brought to a talented but inconsistent team around this time in the season ten years ago: "We shouldn't be aiming for the play-offs, I expect you to win this league". And we did.
    Do you really think NA can produce an attacking team? He has had over more than 1 season and failed to do so.

Quote Originally Posted by jackal2 View Post

I agree with the middle paragraph whole heartedly.
    I just dont think he knows how to coach attacking football.
    If so he surely would have employed it well before now.
    Fingers and toes crossed though...

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast