+ Visit Crewe Alexandra FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Doncaster

Doncaster

So, on the games come. A chance for a double against one of the clubs in the leading pack. (Although I object to the Official Site referring to them as a big club - I saw us put 8 past them once!). We did well against them away as the ball seemed to roll for us. However, has our season become moribund and the team in a slump, performance-wise? For me,
    the problem is that we need to be shooting more. There is a tendency for the Alex to add extra touches or to find another pass rather than shooting. That shooting should also be with power i.e. putting their laces through it. We've missed a few chances by being 'sure' and placing shots which were easily blocked or deflected. It's also about time our centre halves threw in a few goals (yes, I know Beckles finally got one the other week).
    I also hope we stick to 4-4-2 with Mandron and Porter up front. Walker should be on the bench. I'd like Dale to be involved. Maybe we need a two-man holding midfield so Lowery would miss out.
    Anyway, at the moment I just can't see us getting the fluency together. So 2-1 loss which includes another late on killer moment. Kirk is due to score.

After the Lincoln shambles goodness knows what will happen tonight. It is time for our management to stop messing about with different systems, and stop leaking silly goals. We need a midfield that can tackle, close down, and compete. Not run about with no discipline.
    Fingers crossed hoping for a win

Very entertaining game of football this evening, thanks to the Alex playing some quick passing football that they really had no answer to. The only thing missing of course was a couple more goals but, with the Back 4 largely untroubled, the only squeaky bum moment came when Richards spilled Coppinger’s free kick - as an aside, for those of you watching on iFollow do you have any idea how old he is? ��

Great to see Dale running fearlessly at them, with Charlie soon following suit - their midfield and defence couldn’t cope with that, so Lowery and Adebisi soon followed suit. Finally, you would never have known that Mandron hadn’t scored since Boxing Day given the cool, calm way he took his chance.... other than McGarry repeating the fact every 5 minutes!

Now the in form Burton on Saturday - but then Sunderland have now won 7 out of 8 so we fear nobody.

Very pleasing to watch and despite my earlier misgivings, Lowery had a really good game (pause.....). The main difference was how we moved the ball around a lot and at pace. My only bugbear with it is that fact of, despite dominating that first half, we never actually had a shot on target. As mentioned earlier, this is the main reason we are mid-table rather than play-offs. We play very well off the wings, particularly on the left, but maybe we need more penetration through the middle, where we can slip Mandron through on goal more often.
    Really happy to see Mika score to reward all his good work.
    Despite Kirk assisting the goal and that chance for Murphy, I wasn't happy with his performance overall, particularly in the first half. On numerous occasions he actually stopped the forward thrust of the move and then gave the ball away very cheaply, sometimes when the rest of the team were quite advanced and therefore making us vulnerable for the counter-attack. Pickering has worried me recently as he also lost the ball quite cheaply on a number of occasions. The back line otherwise looked quite secure, Beckles only did only one giveaway but remained in control the rest of the time. Adebisi is a revelation at RB. He actually stands out there compared to his games at LB. From Ng leaving, we suddenly have loads of options in that position. I was also amazed that Murphy got away without being booked, he really looked clumsy in the tackle. However, the midfield did really well. Also good to see Dale 'having a go' again.
    Overall a mostly satisfying night. Roll on Burton.

Coppinger's 40 i-follow told us

Quote Originally Posted by ShropshireAlex View Post
    Coppinger's 40 i-follow told us

Yes, it was meant as irony - McGarry mentioned it every time he was in possession!