+ Visit Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Ornithology Thread

Ornithology Thread

Any twitchers on?

A friend took this down at the Clyde shore in Dumbarton. Just along the front of Levengrove Park if you’re familiar with the area. Anyone any idea what they are? Can’t work out if they’re Arctic Geese or Albino Geese. If they were Arctic, then their migration wouldn’t have them anywhere near Dumbarton at this time of year & it’s unusual to get a single albino goose, never mind a flock.

Any suggestions?

Name:  7EDF847B-656A-43DF-9326-C88C26137DDA.jpg
Views: 171
Size:  5.5 KB

Do they belong to the Queen?

Are they swans?

A common mistake but they’re airborne

Ah, the first sign of spring.

The swans can't fly argument.

Nasty evil b'astards can fly well enough.

There’s no argument. They can’t fly

On a serious note, I have an interest in birds - o' the feathered type as well I dae a fair bit o' walkin' ... and nae only tae collect fruit an' flooers tae mak wine wi.

Jist a couple o' weeks ago, I was watchin' a fieldfare grubbin aboot in the bushes beside ma hoose .... nae incredibly rare, but first time Ah'd seen one ... bonny beast

Quote Originally Posted by NaeMairNeeps View Post
    On a serious note, I have an interest in birds - o' the feathered type as well I dae a fair bit o' walkin' ... and nae only tae collect fruit an' flooers tae mak wine wi.

Jist a couple o' weeks ago, I was watchin' a fieldfare grubbin aboot in the bushes beside ma hoose .... nae incredibly rare, but first time Ah'd seen one ... bonny beast
    Same as myself on the bird front. Don't know much about them and I would never be the type to sit out in all weathers just to get a glimpse of one.

Yer missin oot min

Last year Ah was walkin along the old Deeside railway path and heard a woodpecker tappin' awa .... couldna see it, and anyway, it was too far awa tae get a good look. A wee while later Ah heard the sound again, and it seemed closer.

Ah've got some hearin loss in ma left ear, so it's difficult tae pinpoint the direction o' maist sounds, so Ah jist stood still and looked around.... it was definitely close by.

Then Ah saw it! ... A starling ... about 12 feet awa ... mimicking the sound o' the woodpecker tappin. Amazin .. and funny at the same time

My 10 year exile in the country meant I had only wildlife for neighbours.
    Which, let me say, is a massive improvement on humans.

We had many woodpeckers, a fair bit bigger bird than I thought it would be.
    A pair of jays as well, which were the first I had ever seen.

Bloody birds would tap on the window when the bird feeder needed filling up.

Pet Pheasants in the hoose.

Peacocks a ower the bloody place.

Red squirrels chapping on the window for the same reason as the birds.

The deer never actually became tame but would look and not run when it was only donsdaft.

Like Snow White’s cottage it was, a privilege to share part of my life with.

Back on topic, the cottage being near the Montrose basin meant I have seen millions of geese flying, so I don’t mistake them for swans when I see swans flying.