+ Visit Aston Villa FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: How does this team look

I really like that team set up OSV.

The last few games before the injury I though Wesley was playing well.

I think Ive said on other threads, there is a player in there, and it was certainly coming out before the hatchet job at burnley. The concerns for me are, is he essentially starting all over again in terms of learning how to play at this level, and far more importantly will he have the freedom physically and mentally having had two potentially career ending injuries in one go to step up? The only saving grace is he is still relatively young, fingers crossed, he could potentially save us £50+ if he comes good.

Absent players, make the heart grow fonder.

Players all of a sudden become ‘Zico’, in the minds of supporters, once they’re away from the limelight.

Wes is a 20 mil striker, who DS rates as 10 mil worse than Ollie, considering what he paid for them both. Ollie is an upgrade on Wes and remembering that Barry will be looking to next season as a breakthrough year, I see Wes being a backup, at best.

Agreed but if there is one thing right at the minute, its our defence so, I would not change it now even though I like the idea of a back 3..

Dont recall comparing Wesley to anyone tbh exiled, especially not Zico who I saw play live many years ago, the fact is he was begining to show signs of improvement just prior to his injury, if he can continue that improvement once fit he might save us some transfer money. Whilst I agree with bringing Louie on, I dont think he is physically ready for anything like a first full season in the Prem, hopefully some regular cameos, or maybe a loan out to the championship, didnt do Jack any harm?

Just saw a clip of Wesley in training, he was sprinting, scoring running well. People suggesting he has a limp but I think thats just his usual strut. I don't think hes too far off, with a couple of Off the bench appearances and a good preseason, he will be like a new signing next term, him gtting fit may just save the club another 30 million....

he always limps mate, he has one leg 3cm shorter than the other, I kid you not.

Quote Originally Posted by oldskoolvillan View Post
    Dont recall comparing Wesley to anyone tbh exiled, especially not Zico who I saw play live many years ago, the fact is he was begining to show signs of improvement just prior to his injury, if he can continue that improvement once fit he might save us some transfer money. Whilst I agree with bringing Louie on, I dont think he is physically ready for anything like a first full season in the Prem, hopefully some regular cameos, or maybe a loan out to the championship, didnt do Jack any harm?
    I don’t recall saying that you did compare Wes to Zico, who I also saw live ( I saw him score v Argies at Spain 82). I used Zico as an example of a super player.

My point was not directed at any Footymad posters but at the general fanbase of all teams, who seem to exaggerate players’ ability who are no longer in the spotlight. A bit like pining for an old partner, in lonesome moments, whilst totally ignoring/forgetting the reason why you split in the first place.

You and others believe that Wes was coming good, fair enough Old School. I happen to think that he is clumsy and lacks something. I would rather yours and other’s faith in him be correct, rather than my view. All for the good of the Villa.

I wish him no ill will, I just don’t think that he’s up to standard, on his showing so far. In fact, I think that he was poor on most occasions.

Good point about players being remembered more fondly when they are out injured for periods of time. Joe Cole leaps to mind. I remember the "if Cole had been fit, England would have won this tournament" *******s from certain pundits.

Ollie did play a lot of his time wide left of a striker at Brentford. Wes could well play ahead of him. See what happens!

3-0 tonight and Bruce sacked in the morning.

Without Jack, looks like were playing with 8 men! Ollies worst game for us tonight, he needs support and please join the queue to take Barkley back to the Bridge!
    Bitter sweet fir me cos I cashed out at 1-0 to win £70, had I let it run, I would have been fuming!
    41 points with 11 games left, lets just try and reach 50pts then get greedy but me thinks too much now for Europe! Time to blood the kids.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)