+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Do we really have good players?

We’ve got some decent players but we’re weaker than we were a year ago. We’ve lost some quality players and their replacements generally aren’t as good. Dennis & Thomas gave us different qualities up front but both scored goals and neither have been replaced adequately. I never thought I’d say this but our midfield is weaker without Mitch Rose. He was infuriating but he gave us greater mobility and energy in the middle of the park.
    Booty and Osborne weren’t regulars but made an impact when called upon.
    I thought the recruitment was exceptional last year but it’s been mixed since.

Let’s not forget Cal Roberts either. A firing Cal Roberts and we’re a completely different team.

I think the problem isn't the players, it's the way we play. We simply don't play effective football.

Think of the team that got to the playoffs under Nolan. We had a few standout performers like Yates, Grant, and Shola, but we also had very average players like Brisley, Duffy, Jones, Hewitt, Hawkridge, and Virtue. Would that lot get in our current side? I doubt it. But they managed to win a lot of games because we had a style of football that worked (most of the time). Was it pretty? No. Was it effective? yes.

The tactics that Ardley seems wedded to are totally inappropriate for the league we're in. I would love to see what another manager could get out of this lot.

Thw only decent players we have are :
    Slocombe
    DKE
    Brindley
    Rawlinson
    Lacey
    Enzeo
    Wootton
    Roberts
    Knowles
    Wolfe.
    O Brien

All the rest are crap

Quote Originally Posted by Old_pie View Post
    Again, on what basis? Trial by Wikipedia? Who are the good players?
    I suppose it's based on nothing more than gut feeling based on what I saw last season in person and this season on TV really. The key words were 'for this level'. I've seen some very limited players among the lesser teams we've played, especially the part-timers. It's hard to judge some of our loanees, but I think most of our regulars are very capable players at National League level. I'm convinced it's the way they are being used that is holding us back, rather than any lack of ability.

I find it really difficult to judge some of the new singings this season given I have only seen them on the live feeds, it's very different to watching them live and seeing movement off the ball etc. Of the singings that have been made since fans have not been allowed in Ruben Rodrigues looks like he has the most potential if played correctly (centrally behind a front 2 ideally).

I do think we have some good players but Thomas and Dennis have been big losses who have not been adequately replaced and obviously Roberts being out for so long has been an issue.

The very best managers make the team better than the sum of their parts, decent managers get them playing as a cohesive unit. I don't think either of those statements can really apply to Ardley at Notts apart from a spell last season which was sadly curtailed.

It’s a good question and one I’ve been pondering as I’ve read all of the comments about how this squad should be doing better.

The one thing we do have is players who can win you a game with an individual moment of magic - Roberts, Enzio, Wootton, Ruben, Sam. That’s something very few clubs have at this level, and has baled us out countless times over the past two seasons when there was nothing between the two sides (going all the way back to the 5-1 win over Chorley when they were the better side for an hour).

Where we’re weak - in both senses - is in midfield, hence our inability to dominate teams. We’ve lacked pace and power there for way too long, and while Mitch Rose was limited, I’d take him over Doyle or Reeves at this level any day of the week.

We’ve got good defenders and a decent keeper for this level (though it’s worrying that DKE is still our best left back). What we definitely don’t have right now is an inspirational management team.

Quote Originally Posted by Mapperleypie View Post
    I find it really difficult to judge some of the new singings this season given I have only seen them on the live feeds, it's very different to watching them live and seeing movement off the ball etc. Of the singings that have been made since fans have not been allowed in Ruben Rodrigues looks like he has the most potential if played correctly (centrally behind a front 2 ideally).

I do think we have some good players but Thomas and Dennis have been big losses who have not been adequately replaced and obviously Roberts being out for so long has been an issue.

The very best managers make the team better than the sum of their parts, decent managers get them playing as a cohesive unit. I don't think either of those statements can really apply to Ardley at Notts apart from a spell last season which was sadly curtailed.
    I thought Jake Bugg was supposed to be quite good at singing. He might be good at football too.

I know it's not pc to mention it on here but o'l bighead from across the river seemed to get discarded or unknown players working at International class level, then when they left they disappeared into oblivion with the exception of Keane.

Quote Originally Posted by nw6pie View Post
    The one thing we do have is players who can win you a game with an individual moment of magic - Roberts, Enzio, Wootton, Ruben, Sam. That’s something very few clubs have at this level, and has baled us out countless times over the past two seasons when there was nothing between the two sides (going all the way back to the 5-1 win over Chorley when they were the better side for an hour).
    You can't legislate for moments of individual brilliance, so as good an impression it leaves it also papers over the cracks (who said that a few years ago and got an ear full from RT?) How many times have we gone out and dominated a side for the majority of the game, and by dominate I don't mean retain possession in our half, I mean look to threaten every time we go forward whilst nullifying their mid-field and attacking play?

I fear we are a new manager, 5 players and 3 years away from getting out of this league. And that's only if the wind is blowing in the right direction most of the time and the Reedtz bros strike it lucky. If I hadn't moved to the North side of the City I'd be tempted to support that team from South of us.

I know it's not pc to mention it on here but o'l bighead from across the river seemed to get discarded or unknown players working at International class level, then when they left they disappeared into oblivion with the exception of Keane.
    I agree, but it seems to go against your initial point. An excellent manager makes poor players average, and average players good. Conversely, a poor manager will make good players average and and average players poor. That's pretty much was I was trying to say on my previous post on this thread.

ps Jake Bugg is too lightweight for this division, otherwise I'd give him a go.

I really wish I could give an informed view, but I can't, I don't know enough about it all, even after all these years. I know that any Notts team that I can recall that has got promotion has had two or three players that were clearly influential.

So I am deferring to the greater wisdom of some on here who follow every move, and watch every streamed game. It's a question I'd like to put to Mark Stallard.

FWIW I don't think we either have a team, and haven't for several seasons, nor at the moment many good players. I constantly hear about bad passes, poor ball control, poor dead ball crosses, inability to deal with high press ie the players need more time on the ball than the opposition allow. And we have been reliant on moments of brilliance rather than 90 mins of quality football. But I say that with no real knowledge otherwise I wouldn't have thrown the question out there.
    Fair enough!

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast