+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Do we really have good players?

Quote Originally Posted by slack_pie View Post
    I think the problem isn't the players, it's the way we play. We simply don't play effective football.

When a team is struggling it's natural to question the quality of the components, but there have been several games this season when those components have performed and shown their true potential. The problem has been consistency, and it really isn't surprising, because the manager frequently changes formations, seemingly more concerned with countering the opponent than promoting our own strengths. He also relies far too heavily on a veteran player who, no matter how remarkably fit he is for his age, cannot be expected to carry such a burden. Meanwhile, younger and often newer players are frequently rotated in and out of the team, often playing different positions, and we wonder why we lack consistency.

I think back to watching Notts under the management of Steve Thompson (first time round) and concluding that we had signed a barrowload of rubbish. However, when Sam Allardyce arrived and gradually implemented a consistent structure and formation designed to maximise our strengths and cover our weaknesses, the same players began to show real confidence and consistency and eventually stormed to the League Two title.

I'm afraid I have lost some faith in Neal Ardley at this point, bearing in mind he now has "his" squad and has had ample time to get the team playing "his" way. What I see is a lack of consistent formation and structure, a style of play that if anything exposes our weaknesses rather than our strengths, and a mindset that is far too timid for a club of this stature, with this depth of squad, in this league. As I said in a post the other day, I think if Steve Cotterill recovered from COVID and walked into Meadow Lane tomorrow and assessed this squad, he would conclude they are more than capable of winning this league and he would organise them in a way that would give them the best chance of doing it.

I stand by what I've said previously, that I totally back the owners to make whatever decision they think is right about Neal Ardley, and if he stays then I hope he proves my above concerns to be wrong. We are, after all, still in a position to end this season as FA Trophy and promotion winners if we turn our current form around, and I sincerely hope for the sake of Ardley and the owners that we do. But right now I have to call what I see, which is a team looking increasingly unsure of itself and a number of potentially very influential, match-winning players not being provided with the right conditions or opportunities to perform at their best. I think most of our players would be considered first-team and even star player material in most other squads in this league, so you have to look at why we're not getting the best out of them.
    Last edited by jackal2; 11-03-2021 at 08:28 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by jackal2 View Post
    I'm afraid I have lost some faith in Neal Ardley at this point, bearing in mind he now has "his" squad and has had ample time to get the team playing "his" way. What I see is a lack of consistent formation and structure, a style of play that if anything exposes our weaknesses rather than our strengths, and a mindset that is far too timid for a club of this stature, with this depth of squad, in this league.
    That paragraph encapsulates my thoughts in a nutshell. I thought Ardley was an abject failure in the relegation season, the following season taking all things into account I think he did as well as could be expected, given the difficult start but the excellent backing thereafter. That excellent backing has definitely continued, but has Ardley repaid it? Does anyone think that we look a better team this season than we did last? If not, it has to be classed as regression rather than progression, which I find worrying.

My view is we have totally c0cked up upfront, I’ve said all along Knowles, Sam and Efflong are average at best. Last year we only really had 3 but were all very decent for this level, a country mile better collectively than what we have now and with Roberts injured it’s just compounded the issue. In regards to centre mid we’ve messed up there, my gut tells me Wolfe’s either not good enough or just not suited to this league, as much as Rose wasn’t technically brilliant I would actually have him instead of Wolfe as a different option or a player similar, a battler. At the back we were ok till recently, Mccorys been a bigger miss then probably most expected.

Not as good as last season. Better than what the current manager is getting out of them.

Quote Originally Posted by Elite_Pie View Post

ps Jake Bugg is too lightweight for this division, otherwise I'd give him a go.
    I wonder why old Mapperley was going on about singing players then

Quote Originally Posted by matt_magpie View Post
    My view is we have totally c0cked up upfront, I’ve said all along Knowles, Sam and Efflong are average at best. Last year we only really had 3 but were all very decent for this level, a country mile better collectively than what we have now and with Roberts injured it’s just compounded the issue. In regards to centre mid we’ve messed up there, my gut tells me Wolfe’s either not good enough or just not suited to this league, as much as Rose wasn’t technically brilliant I would actually have him instead of Wolfe as a different option or a player similar, a battler. At the back we were ok till recently, Mccorys been a bigger miss then probably most expected.
    The loss of Dennis, Thomas and the injury to Roberts has been a damaging blow this season. In fairness the injury to Roberts and the leaving of Thomas could not have been foreseen. However in my view we did not adequately replace Dennis in the summer. The likes of Sam and Knowles have potential and are in season one at this level and need time to develop and grow. It's the same for Rodrigues as well.

Whatever happens this season the priority should be to find suitable replacements for Dennis and Thomas in the summer.

In response to the O/P I do think we have good players for this level and lots of experience. With regards to midfield we can't rely on Doyle and JOB forever so central midfield is an area that will need attention as these players should be moving more towards an Alan Smith cameo type of role if they remain at the club beyond this season.

We have an excellent and solid defence which is the best in the league so there should not be much attention needed in this department. This is a good foundation for every successful side.

Other factors to bare in mind is no fans in the ground to provide support and encouragement, enjoy and celebrate goals with. On the other hand fans also let the players know when things are not acceptable and give them a kick up the backside. The sterile environment may be having an impact on player mentally, morale and motivation.

The opposing teams coming to Meadow Lane are naturally raising their game and more so than they may do if fans were in as it would be a more intimidating place for them to come.

I also think that now there is going to be no relegation it has instantly changed the dynamic of the competition. Those teams below mid table have had the shackles and pressure taken off them so these teams can play without any fear and with freedom against the bigger clubs in the league like us. The season means nothing to them, yet it does for clubs like ours.

As a club we need to deal with being the biggest club in non-league and overcome teams raising their game against us along with the pressure and expectation to win many games and have a tough strong mentality and confidence and belief. Confidence is a massive factor in football and it looks low right now, but it can and will come back.

It is a season like no other and it may just be a case of riding out this storm, seeing where the season takes us and taking stock at the end regardless of where we finish and learning lessons and remedying it in the summer and going again next season when hopefully the fans can be back in the ground and football is more normal again.

Quote Originally Posted by MAD_MAGPIE View Post
    The loss of Dennis, Thomas and the injury to Roberts has been a damaging blow this season. In fairness the injury to Roberts and the leaving of Thomas could not have been foreseen. However in my view we did not adequately replace Dennis in the summer. The likes of Sam and Knowles have potential and are in season one at this level and need time to develop and grow. It's the same for Rodrigues as well.

Whatever happens this season the priority should be to find suitable replacements for Dennis and Thomas in the summer.

In response to the O/P I do think we have good players for this level and lots of experience. With regards to midfield we can't rely on Doyle and JOB forever so central midfield is an area that will need attention as these players should be moving more towards an Alan Smith cameo type of role if they remain at the club beyond this season.

We have an excellent and solid defence which is the best in the league so there should not be much attention needed in this department. This is a good foundation for every successful side.

Other factors to bare in mind is no fans in the ground to provide support and encouragement, enjoy and celebrate goals with. On the other hand fans also let the players know when things are not acceptable and give them a kick up the backside. The sterile environment may be having an impact on player mentally, morale and motivation.

The opposing teams coming to Meadow Lane are naturally raising their game and more so than they may do if fans were in as it would be a more intimidating place for them to come.

I also think that now there is going to be no relegation it has instantly changed the dynamic of the competition. Those teams below mid table have had the shackles and pressure taken off them so these teams can play without any fear and with freedom against the bigger clubs in the league like us. The season means nothing to them, yet it does for clubs like ours.

As a club we need to deal with being the biggest club in non-league and overcome teams raising their game against us along with the pressure and expectation to win many games and have a tough strong mentality and confidence and belief. Confidence is a massive factor in football and it looks low right now, but it can and will come back.

It is a season like no other and it may just be a case of riding out this storm, seeing where the season takes us and taking stock at the end regardless of where we finish and learning lessons and remedying it in the summer and going again next season when hopefully the fans can be back in the ground and football is more normal again.
    Great post that. Good points well made.

Quote Originally Posted by jackal2 View Post
    When a team is struggling it's natural to question the quality of the components, but there have been several games this season when those components have performed and shown their true potential. The problem has been consistency, and it really isn't surprising, because the manager frequently changes formations, seemingly more concerned with countering the opponent than promoting our own strengths. He also relies far too heavily on a veteran player who, no matter how remarkably fit he is for his age, cannot be expected to carry such a burden. Meanwhile, younger and often newer players are frequently rotated in and out of the team, often playing different positions, and we wonder why we lack consistency.

I think back to watching Notts under the management of Steve Thompson (first time round) and concluding that we had signed a barrowload of rubbish. However, when Sam Allardyce arrived and gradually implemented a consistent structure and formation designed to maximise our strengths and cover our weaknesses, the same players began to show real confidence and consistency and eventually stormed to the League Two title.

I'm afraid I have lost some faith in Neal Ardley at this point, bearing in mind he now has "his" squad and has had ample time to get the team playing "his" way. What I see is a lack of consistent formation and structure, a style of play that if anything exposes our weaknesses rather than our strengths, and a mindset that is far too timid for a club of this stature, with this depth of squad, in this league. As I said in a post the other day, I think if Steve Cotterill recovered from COVID and walked into Meadow Lane tomorrow and assessed this squad, he would conclude they are more than capable of winning this league and he would organise them in a way that would give them the best chance of doing it.

I stand by what I've said previously, that I totally back the owners to make whatever decision they think is right about Neal Ardley, and if he stays then I hope he proves my above concerns to be wrong. We are, after all, still in a position to end this season as FA Trophy and promotion winners if we turn our current form around, and I sincerely hope for the sake of Ardley and the owners that we do. But right now I have to call what I see, which is a team looking increasingly unsure of itself and a number of potentially very influential, match-winning players not being provided with the right conditions or opportunities to perform at their best. I think most of our players would be considered first-team and even star player material in most other squads in this league, so you have to look at why we're not getting the best out of them.
    nice post ...like it lots

I think it's clear we have good players just by seeing where we are in the league despite playing so poorly for most of the season.

Some great posts on here and no bickering! Amazing.

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast