+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Do we really have good players?

Do we really have good players?

A lot of expectation that we should be doing better than we are but are our players any good? On what basis has that been determined?

In previous well performing teams we've had players that stand out, whether in goal, centre of the park or at the front. We clearly have some players with talent but moments of brilliance once in a blue moon is not promotion form, and we've won or got points because of some extravagant moments of brilliance - but how many of those players are actually good?

I'm not trying to get Ardley off the hook - he's recruited them, and in some instances has been unlucky (eg Cal).

So back to the subject title and over to you.

Yes, most of them.

Usually when you make a post like that you would profess your opinion as well so I do think you should supply yours.

Most of the signings are from the league above ours and one would assume that most of the signings are also based on statistics. The fact that signings are based on statistics I have broadly mentioned previously as I am not sure this approach is working as well as perhaps it is intended.

So are the players any good? Well the answer for the most part is that based on the fact that most of them have forged a semblence of a career above this level then yes IN THEORY they are good enough for this division.

The bigger question is are they any good together and with the tactics we are employing and the way they are managed and motivated. This is not an Ardley out post but based on those factors no the players are not good.

So perhaps the answer is NFI.

As many teams even during our so far short stay in NL have proven it is not necessarily a matter of are the players any good it is a matter of what can you get out of them, how can you motivate them and do you set them up. Read Warnock, Jimmy and so on.

I think for this level we have good players, but we don't have a good team. Far too often they look like a bunch of strangers with no cohesion, no understanding, and no intent.

Quote Originally Posted by Elite_Pie View Post
    I think for this level we have good players, but we don't have a good team. Far too often they look like a bunch of strangers with no cohesion, no understanding, and no intent.
    Very true.

I'd agree with EPs statement, the sum isn't greater than its part. The quality is there, the cohesion isn't.

Although some of the football basics like controlling the ball and a short pass along the deck that were lacking on Tuesday night goes completely against this opinion.

This ....

Quote Originally Posted by queenslandpie View Post
    Usually when you make a post like that you would profess your opinion as well so I do think you should supply yours.
    I really wish I could give an informed view, but I can't, I don't know enough about it all, even after all these years. I know that any Notts team that I can recall that has got promotion has had two or three players that were clearly influential.

So I am deferring to the greater wisdom of some on here who follow every move, and watch every streamed game. It's a question I'd like to put to Mark Stallard.

FWIW I don't think we either have a team, and haven't for several seasons, nor at the moment many good players. I constantly hear about bad passes, poor ball control, poor dead ball crosses, inability to deal with high press ie the players need more time on the ball than the opposition allow. And we have been reliant on moments of brilliance rather than 90 mins of quality football. But I say that with no real knowledge otherwise I wouldn't have thrown the question out there.

I think for this level we have good players, .
    Again, on what basis? Trial by Wikipedia? Who are the good players? I don't mean 2 mins of world class skill - I mean 90 mins worth of solid NL football capability. Command of the area of pitch they are responsible for, can control and use the ball meaningfully, can win the 50/50 balls etc. I'm not reading or hearing anything come through.

Most of them are to good for this league, if only they would show it more regular & consistently

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast