+ Visit Barnsley FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Wilder

It’s their lose. Even with the position they’re in I’ll bet most of the fans are gutted.

I would like to see Hecky back in Management. nice guy.

Im not in the slightest bit interested about the Blunts and Wilder to be honest. But the idea of the former messiah 'Hecky' struggling with them, that does make me laff.

Quote Originally Posted by Jules88 View Post
    I dont think the blades directors WANT advice. I’m gutted for Wilder, I bet he’s worked tirelessly for the club. Don’t mind United... wish they’d stay up, but can’t see it now.
    I hate the Sheffield clubs and Leeds.
    For one reason and one reason only.
    They have lorded it over Barnsley for decades.
    Any decent player or manager we have had has been linked to those clubs.
    Which sends a message out to football supporters in the Barnsley District - if you want to watch better football then go to Sheffield or Leeds.

It only takes a father to take his child to their first match and that child is likely to support that team for the rest of their lives.
    If Barnsley are playing Newport in the old 4th Division and Sheffield Wednesday are playing Chelsea in the old 1st Division then historically this is why many Barnsley people have drifted away from their own town club,
    It’s now ingrained within those families to continue to support Leeds or the Sheffield clubs.
    It’s going to take Barnsley a few years of relative success to break some of those allegiances.

Consequently we have lost literally THOUSANDS of potential supporters to those clubs.
    Which has made Barnsley Football Club much poorer than what it otherwise would have been.
    And importantly the lack of relative success at the club has reduced the potential investment into Barnsley communities.
    Last time Sheffield United were promoted into the Premier it was calculated that local businesses would receive a £45 million boost.

Yes - we have lost some support to teams like Manchester and Liverpool but the effect of those clubs are seen throughout the country.
    The effects of Leeds and Sheffield is mostly restricted to us and the Yorkshire area.

I was talking (about going to Elland Road for the Covid jab) to a bloke last week who is 80 years old and lives on Doncaster Road overlooking Oakwell.
    He’s lived there all his life.
    I could hardly believe it when he said - I’m a Leeds fan - I’ve been watching Leeds since the 1970s.

So getting back to Wilder.
    I hope he has left.
    And I hope the Blunts sink like a stone now he has left.
    That is - to the same place they were before he joined the club. Near the bottom of the 1st Division.

Quote Originally Posted by Young_Nudger View Post
    I hate the Sheffield clubs and Leeds.
    For one reason and one reason only.
    They have lorded it over Barnsley for decades.
    Any decent player or manager we have had has been linked to those clubs.
    Which sends a message out to football supporters in the Barnsley District - if you want to watch better football then go to Sheffield or Leeds.

It only takes a father to take his child to their first match and that child is likely to support that team for the rest of their lives.
    If Barnsley are playing Newport in the old 4th Division and Sheffield Wednesday are playing Chelsea in the old 1st Division then historically this is why many Barnsley people have drifted away from their own town club,
    It’s now ingrained within those families to continue to support Leeds or the Sheffield clubs.
    It’s going to take Barnsley a few years of relative success to break some of those allegiances.

Consequently we have lost literally THOUSANDS of potential supporters to those clubs.
    Which has made Barnsley Football Club much poorer than what it otherwise would have been.
    And importantly the lack of relative success at the club has reduced the potential investment into Barnsley communities.
    Last time Sheffield United were promoted into the Premier it was calculated that local businesses would receive a £45 million boost.

Yes - we have lost some support to teams like Manchester and Liverpool but the effect of those clubs are seen throughout the country.
    The effects of Leeds and Sheffield is mostly restricted to us and the Yorkshire area.

I was talking (about going to Elland Road for the Covid jab) to a bloke last week who is 80 years old and lives on Doncaster Road overlooking Oakwell.
    He’s lived there all his life.
    I could hardly believe it when he said - I’m a Leeds fan - I’ve been watching Leeds since the 1970s.

So getting back to Wilder.
    I hope he has left.
    And I hope the Blunts sink like a stone now he has left.
    That is - to the same place they were before he joined the club. Near the bottom of the 1st Division.
    Your looking at this the wrong way Nudge in my opinion .

There's a percentage that follow the two Sheffield clubs and Leeds but nowt like the numbers that have a massive impact on us .

The real damage is done by Sky tv and the big PL clubs , the tv fan and the way the younger supporters are attracted to this circus with the marketing Sky and BT sports roll out .

When I was a kid if you wanted to see your team play regularly you had to get off your backside and get to the grounds .

Not today with the saturated tv coverage the big PL teams enjoy .

I find it annoying that some folk in barnsley gu to Hillsborough or Bramall lane rather than oakwell. However, feck em. If they are willing to sit with the dee dahs in the north stand when the Reds laik these teams and chant derogatory things abart the people and place that they come from then that's where they can stay for me. They're not welcome.

I think we do ok crowd wise for the size of this tarn. We're a passionate bunch who are hardcore and would never ever change allegiance. The support is there and success would bring bigger crowds in I've absolutely no doubt. Thaz sin when the big games come rarnd, 35k to wembley v Ipswich and Cardiff, 25k to millennium stadium v Swansea. That's great support

Quote Originally Posted by pass_and_move View Post
    I find it annoying that some folk in barnsley gu to Hillsborough or Bramall lane rather than oakwell. However, feck em. If they are willing to sit with the dee dahs in the north stand when the Reds laik these teams and chant derogatory things abart the people and place that they come from then that's where they can stay for me. They're not welcome.

I think we do ok crowd wise for the size of this tarn. We're a passionate bunch who are hardcore and would never ever change allegiance. The support is there and success would bring bigger crowds in I've absolutely no doubt. Thaz sin when the big games come rarnd, 35k to wembley v Ipswich and Cardiff, 25k to millennium stadium v Swansea. That's great support
    It's not as if they've enjoyed anything we haven't Pass , that's the irony .

And when it goes tyts up at Leeds , S6 and the Blunts then it really goes tyts up .

They've all enjoyed a good portion of league one football .

Quote Originally Posted by pass_and_move View Post

Size of the Tarn District is about 240,000.
    Plus there surrounding towns and villages that see Barnsley as their local town - from Hemsworth to South Elmsall to Flockton to Stocksbridge to Brampton.
    So you could potentially put another 100,000 on.
    And importantly - the Tarn is a strong football community.
    A large percentage of people in Barnsley are football supporters.
    There is a huge potential at Barnsley that has never been realised.
    One of the principal reasons for that is the Sheffield and Leeds clubs.

Quote Originally Posted by animallittle3 View Post
    It's not as if they've enjoyed anything we haven't Pass , that's the irony .

And when it goes tyts up at Leeds , S6 and the Blunts then it really goes tyts up .

They've all enjoyed a good portion of league one football .
    Correct. In the 90's when Wednesday ed international players laikin for em I could see the appeal, same wi Leeds. However, that worra long time ago and as tha sez, league 1 has reeled them all in. It's a naive prestige thing based on yesteryear for these people who live in barnsley and support Sheffield or Leeds. Leave em to it I say.

We all know the potential support here but the fact is that in modern history, barring the late 90s and early 80s, we've edda hardcore 6/7k whatever the score. That sits fine wi me. As tja knows mate, the size of your crowds or the size of your d1ck dunt define you.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12