+ Visit Dundee United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 52 of 59 FirstFirst ... 2425051525354 ... LastLast

Thread: Today’s games

Quote Originally Posted by Whitfieldarab View Post
    What amazes me about that St Johnstone back 5 is that 3 of them a few years ago couldn't really kick their ane erses for their championship clubs and roll on a few years and Booth,Rooney and McCart are cup double winners and part of a very very good defensive unit. Mental.
    I think Booth and Liam Smith are very similar. Lack a wee bit pace to play top level consistently, but decent on the ball and can still put in a tackle in this day and age. Still not sure about Jamie, has a few good games, but might have struggled today. Plenty surprises today (well maybe not) We couldn't handle the mighty Hibs trio , yet, STJ didn't seem that troubled over 90 mins.

Quote Originally Posted by JamesMcClean View Post
    I.I.r.c. Rooney and McCart were both playing when Shanks gave ICT 4 first game last season. Admittedly they had to put up with Coll () but still.................

The other thing is though that MM has been getting pelters for the style of football but anytime I’ve watched St Johnstone this season and including today, let’s face it it’s eye bleeding stuff. But this season it’s brought them success so as a consequence nobody is really questioning their approach.
    Ye agree James.

The Penny Daintees have been playing and scoring goals like that one today for the last 10 years and I honestly can't believe the other managers haven't twigged yet?this side is just a continuation of the Tommy Wright one - nothings changed.

Tell you what though I'd have loved have had the lad Wotherspoon play for us. He's been a fantastic servant for them.

Quote Originally Posted by Yeats 62 View Post
    I think Booth and Liam Smith are very similar. Lack a wee bit pace to play top level consistently, but decent on the ball and can still put in a tackle in this day and age. Still not sure about Jamie, has a few good games, but might have struggled today. Plenty surprises today (well maybe not) We couldn't handle the mighty Hibs trio , yet, STJ didn't seem that troubled over 90 mins.
    Ye agree with this too.

I actually thought Robson when he played in front of Booth were pretty good at time.

Ye agree with this too.

I actually thought Robson when he played in front of Booth were pretty good at time.
    That probably says more about Booth. Not having a pop at Jamie, just thinking about if we were in that match today how things might have been for us. I'm struggling to think of a Scottish cup final that was meant to be 50/50 (ish) being won so comfortably.

[QUOTE=JamesMcClean;39785660]I.I.r.c. Rooney and McCart were both playing when Shanks gave ICT 4 first game last season. Admittedly they had to put up with Coll () but still.................

You might be closer to the truth than you think James. It only takes one dodgy centre half to unstable the whole unit. (allegedly)

this side is just a continuation of the Tommy Wright one - nothings changed. .
    That’s the absolute bottom line. And infact you could probably take it beyond Wright back to firstly Delboy and then Lomas. Consistency is absolutely everything. Evolution rather than revolution is the key. They’ve had a multitude of players who have seen out the bulk of their careers there over the last ten years or so - guys such as (you rightly say) Wotherspoon and of course Frazer Wright, Dave McKay, Murray Davidson, Stevie May, Steven Anderson, Steven McLean, Liam Craig etc etc while behind the scenes you had Wright who was assistant to Lomas and now Callum Davidson who was assistant to Wright while guys like Alec Cleland have been around for donkeys. Coupled with off field stability with the Browns.

We had that through the seventies, eighties and early nineties. Our golden period coincided with a remarkable era where we kept players for a long time culminating in the title winning side being steadily evolved, not just put together overnight. What’s happened at Tannadice since probably since Pedro left is the complete antithesis of this. New managers, new players, new owners - no wonder we’ve had the issues we’ve had. That’s why we don’t need to go mental this close season. I would say three good signings off the likely Benji money will progress us further with what we have already. We’ve got a squad who are getting to know each other now and let’s face it, if your team mate is an actual, well, mate off the park as well as on, you are far more likely to go that extra mile to help him out on the park. Coaching consistency is critical also - that’s why I really hope now that MM stays put. It would be nice to have a manager for longer than 18 months for the first time in forever.
    Last edited by JamesMcClean; 22-05-2021 at 06:40 PM.

Two cup wins and 5th place in the league. And here was me being told a few weeks back that bringing in a manager with no experience would never work in Scottish football

I think the low crowds in a sense benefit St John in terms of levels of expectation, not sure that will change after this season either. They aren't under same pressure to produce attacking football and mid table is acceptable for them. Fair play to them though, you can't help but be jealous.

Feels like Hibs have taken Aberdeen's mantle this season, and Ross Jack/Derek McIness, better players than the rest of the other teams outside the Old firm, but baselined at that, finished third whilst playing somewhat underwhelming football, never looking like seriously challenging the old firm, and underperforming in the big/cup matches.

Is Martin Boyle the biggest diver in Scottish Football btw?

Quote Originally Posted by JUSTaway View Post
    I think the low crowds in a sense benefit St John in terms of levels of expectation, not sure that will change after this season either. They aren't under same pressure to produce attacking football and mid table is acceptable to them
    That could be a very good point. Have we been spoilt by what Wee Jum did? Jim McLean wanted not just to win but to win in the correct way i.e. by playing positive, attacking football. Yes, he concurrently made us very strong at the back but the whole shape of the team was designed to score goals. And if you got one, then you tried to get another and then another. And this at a time when United did have smaller crowds and less money (not quite St Johnstone levels but you get my drift). Playing defensively minded, make sure you don’t lose first before trying to win type of football was what Jim despised. So when we won, we won playing the right way. As a support, is that what we now expect? Is it not enough to win but we’ve been brought up on having to win by playing exceptional football? I watched St Johnstone frankly play in a similar style to ‘Mellon-ball’ today but the only difference is that they are a bit better at it. And it won them not just one but two trophies. And further, they’ve played like that since the day McInnes took over - but the question as you rightly say is, ‘Do their supporters give a schiete?’.
    Last edited by JamesMcClean; 22-05-2021 at 07:56 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by JUSTaway View Post
    I think the low crowds in a sense benefit St John in terms of levels of expectation, not sure that will change after this season either. They aren't under same pressure to produce attacking football and mid table is acceptable for them. Fair play to them though, you can't help but be jealous.
    It might just be me, but I'm not jealous in the slightest. This last season just hasn't been the same and I really couldn't care who wins what. Forgot the final was even on today. Without the fans it's been almost pointless. Winning the Cup, yeah it would've been nice but it wouldn't have been nearly the same as 1994 or 2010. Not being able to support the team from the stands has made it almost feel like a gap year.

Page 52 of 59 FirstFirst ... 2425051525354 ... LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)